• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

looking for a brougham st map

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all. just wondering if anyone can supply me a map of brougham st please..i am after the ones that show individual houses if possible...

many thanks.

lyn:)

Morning Lyn
I've looked on my Godfrey Ed maps but only have 8.13 (Aston Manor) which isn't quite close enough. It looks like it should be on 7.16 (Handsworth) if anyone has that one.
David

morning david.. thanks for the info... this is the map i have but i just need one to go a tad further to the left to show brougham st.

lyn

You confused me a bit at first Lynn, as you twisted it round!. It is the 1913 winson green map, and is attached
mike

thats it mike...perfect..thanks so much...sorry to confuse you i do have that effect on folk at times...

cheers

lyn:):):)

mike .. just had a good look at that map you posted and its of even more interest to me than i thought as it also shows the whole of the bottom end of villa st as far as bridge st west...my other map only went half way down villa st...

thanks again.

lyn:)

Hi I've just found out my nan lived in Brougham St in 1939 when she was 18 (lived there since birth)

could I see the earliest map you have around that time please?

She lived at number 141 and 18 years old worked at I think the letters are EP warehouse - no idea where or what that was was but its mentions she did the wrapping.
All my mom knows and mentioned to me was that it was where she met her husband to be (my moms dad)

I've just read through the Brougham St thread on here (love doing this gives me a feel for the street) got a couple of pics at a later date but least its something to show mom. :)

Not sure if there's another Brougham St but there doesn't appear to be a 141. This is in Lozells and the higest number seems to be 86. Here's a couple of maps from 1951...

Brougham St 1.jpg

Brougham St 2.jpg

here is the entire map of brougham st lozells...as MWS has said it did not go up to anywhere near 141...maybe you could double check the number it may have been 41 failing that if you give me your nans parents names (assuming she lived with her parents) i could check the electoral rolls for you on ancestry as you had to be 21 to be on the electoral rolls

lyn

brougham st no 17.jpg

Oh thank you!

Just had another look at the paperwork and was looking in completely the wrong place I didn't see the number before the street name.
My moms now questioning if I even have the correct street

I have attached the document. (their handwriting was so hard to make out in them days.
They are at the top, where the red mark is - no idea where I'm supposed to look for that either (what the red mark mentions)
:):)

Attachments

• tna_r39_5503_5503j_013.jpg
    tna_r39_5503_5503j_013.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
The 141 is the schedule number, not the number of the house. It is 7 Brougham St (although it looks like Broughton st on there page, but electoral roll agrees.. It is marked in blue on the map

brougham st no 7.jpg

Looking at Kellys for 1939 it looks like the warehouse was Morgan & Marlow, stampers & piercers

i think EP warehouse stands for electro plating warehouse..there were a lot of them around in those days and you are so very lucky because without looking i know that i have posted a photo of no 7 brougham st on the brougham st thread....but here it is again...you can clearly the number 7 on the door ..house on the far left

lyn

HUNTERS..BROU..HOSP ST 022.JPG

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
most welcome...no date but looking at the cars maybe late 60s early 70s...number 3 boarded up windows smashed so i would think the street was emptying ready for demolition

lyn

Back