• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Longmore Street Balsall Heath

Keith R

master brummie
Found out we have relatives from Longmore St Balsall Heath......They moved in around 1937/38 after getting married but sure her family had lived there much longer.I have been reading older threads with Longmore and adjacent streets and saw a few pictures of the street but it was the ones at the back where these people lived. Sure theres no photos of them but Longmore is still there today with the one side just grass now going down to the Rea. I was wondering when they knocked it all down and did the families go en-bloc to another area such as Hawkesley/Pool Farm estates or find somewhere themselves. I presume the houses were rented at the time.
I saw a link on a previous post with a link to a map - it showed the street but no idea of the date.
p.s. The family names are Butcher and Harris.
Thanks

Here's a map from 1950, back of 59 Longmore St appears to be named Shirley Place at this time...

0 - Longmore St.jpg

Had to tick Love......you dont know how long I have been looking for ANYTHING....Yes I have Shirey Place pop up a couple of times on Voting registers...wow that map is awesome...I just have no aptitude in finding maps which is a pity as I love to study them. Is there a magic place to access similar maps as I have a lot of other places to look at.
Instantly I can see that there are a lot of workplaces in the houses. I have read this is the case before.
Thanks

Last edited:
Blimey how did they fit all those dwellings into that small space.

Attachments

• 20230630_182620.jpg
    20230630_182620.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 3
The Wallace pub in the 1980s at the junction of Longmore Street and Balsall Heath Road

Screenshot_20230701_180220_Chrome.jpg

The Eagle pub at the junction with Belgrave Road
Screenshot_20230701_181635_Chrome.jpg

And a 1968 Phyllis Nicklin image of Longmore Street.

Screenshot_20230701_180108_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back