• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Links: Maps Live site

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
It's a statutory holiday Monday here in B.C. after a glorious two days the weather has reverted back to clouds and even some rain showers. So
I decided to bake, make a dinner we would have had outside..chicken,
corn and salads and then I spent such a long time on this link.
https://maps.live.com/ People have been saying it is better than Google Earth. Give it a try. I haven't made my mind up because each a bit different.

Jennyann,
I consider that Google is more up to date. Viewing my property it shows a central feature in my rear garden that has not been there for the past eight years. In Google that feature is missing and step paving that is now in situ is shown.
May be different for others but in my case this is is not as much up to date.
Will.

Last edited:
Brilliant Jennyann I find this much easier to use, although as in Willoughby's case the pic of my house is older as a garden feature has been moved.

pom

It is a good site Jennyann but it is very out of date.
I can tell by the cars on my drive that the pictures were taken about 7/8 years ago but Google has my caravan in the back garden and our present car making it about 2 years old.

It's nice, and I like the 'Bird's eye view' photographs - angled, not directly down. But the detail is all several years old as others have said. I've personalised Google Earth now, dozens of locations pinned, so I'll stick with that thanks.

Thanks Jennyann,

It has its pros and cons compared with Google. In my view (not the bird's eye)lol the road mapping is a lot simpler and easy to use.

Seems they must have taken a more recent picture of my house. My four year old car and recent kitchen extension are on it.

It's good and birds eye is very clear. Pictures are about 2 yrs, old or less for my area. I don't have the latest version of GE...not sure if I will loose my pin marks if I moove up.

Thanks Jennyann

I've only one thing to say it depends who is working with the Maps.

My Eldest Son was down a few weeks ago and I asked him how his job was now.(He was on a 3 Months trial) and said very well and love's it.

The firm he works for has contracts for making and placing those signs we see all over the place AA, RAC etc and for a month he was out with a workmate doing just that. Then he had to do office training and they got him on planning the Routes for these Signs and the easiest place to put them.
Well he is now on contract doing just that and showed me what is job is.

Quite honestly I have never seen any person work a Google Mapping better or faster.

When I first used the Google Map to show you our House it must have taken me 15 minutes, he showed me the place where lives, his local shop, Pub, nearest Cinema, Bowling Alley and all in close detail, it took him about 5 minutes. Then his Works and offices the Car Park and where he has lunch I could go on.

He did this for me, its the closest I've got to our house with either Google or Microsoft.

View attachment 14040

I found a better, more up to date view of my home than on Google Earth. I guess it depends on where you live and how long ago they've updated their records. I thought it was easier to use too. I bookmarked it for future use.

Norma

Thanks for all the replies. Looks as though it depends on how often your area is updated in the photographing process as to whether either site is the best. I sometimes can't believe that at the touch of your mouse you can conjure up all the familiar places that you want to see again or when someone you know moves you can immediately find where it is they have moved to. For years there was no way to do any of this type of thing and it seems like magic to me most of the time.:)

Jennyann, I saved up 28 Tokens about 4 years ago from the Daily Mail for an Ariel Photo of the house and its not a patch on what you can get now:)

I find that you need to check with each one to find the best view of what you are looking for. Each clearly has its priorities over where they provide the best resolution. I use Google for my house though the latest shots were done late afternoon and so though more recent a lot of the view is lost due to shadows compared to the previous view.

Good for you Alf.....for saving the tokens. At the time it seemed like a good idea and a lot of people bought into it simply because there wasn't anything like these mapping sites with views, etc. available. I can only imagine how much money they made and even make now since not everyone knows about the other systems they have now. I read in the paper somewhere last week that they were going to have gauze over people's faces on the street since
whomever was photographing from a height were contravening privacy laws, etc. I expect live web cams could be in that category if people are in their shots.

Well, having had a little play, I get a much better view of our house on this site than on Google Earth, so now I love both & am addicted to both sites!!! On Google Earth, my car is on the drive of our house & on t'other site I'm up at my Mom & Dad's houselol (about 10 minutes drive away)!!

I've had another play with this site and find where Google is unable to cover the area surrounding my late sister's cottage, in the depths of North Wales, this site does so easily.
Looks like wheels and roundabouts, on reflection.
Will.

Back