• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Road

Julias Silverman was a friend of our family, my dad I think might have been his agent maybe or secratary? I'm sure Julias Silverman stood for MP possibly. Elizabeth MacDonald was the then councillor or candidate for councilor. We spent hours as kids shoving Poll Cards through doors in the Aston Ward, all hand written then by each party directly from the electoral rolls. I cant remember the conservative candidate but I do remember many of the labour party members.. Julias Silverman, Elzabeth MacDonald, Frank Carter and Paul Tilsley too who was as already stated a Liberal. They were all nice people who worked hard for people of Aston.

Julius Silverman was a labour MP 1945-1955 for Erdington,1955-1974 for Aston and 1974-1983 for Erdington.

Thats right you have got it bang on 1956 , was the year grand father took them , to see him along with charles henry jelf who acompanied them charles was the older brother and ernie was the younger one and my mom was the only one and only child to ernie. Incidently alberta , i think about 12 months ago sombody wrote a thread about charles on the forum and they said that charles was abit slow and did,nt know any think because according to raymond in oxford he was the bussiness of esteam , and raymond looked up to him ,
and that a chap whom lived with ivy for thirty years had died years before her, after tracing ivy,s will it turned out because this guy was sent one hundred pound in her will to him at an adress in liverpool but you are bang on with you info ; thanks ,
astonian

Last edited by a moderator:
Astonian said:
she wrote to him ,
and aked him , could he build and provide a littl park for her and her
friends , and yes , lord and behold she got her wish ,
he got it done for , and thay little play area is still there ...
That's brilliant!!
I think I know that one...
opposite (almost) the big Asda??
We used to take our kids in there when we had to live in Small Heath for a while in '92/'93...when our eldest was 3 and our youngest a baby.

My Mum and Dad swore by Paul Tilsley,always saying he was a good man,who would try with all he had to get things done.I wasnt really interested as i was just a teenager at the time.I also remember a radio staion that got involved in the area too.They were in the old TV studios. They seemed a lively bunch !!

Always remember taking the Midland red bus into town when we felt like being posh !! As the fare was a bit more than the corporation buses.But the Mid red were a nicer bus...

Jan.Do you mean BRMB Radio Station on Aston Cross in the old ALFA? TV STUDIOS (FORMALLY THE OLD astoria picture house)?

Thats the one...I have been racking my brains trying to remember the name of the radio station,thank you Aston.I dont remember the picture house though. Remember as a child and teen,sitting outside the TV studio,waiting for the "stars". Got to know most of the actors from the soapie "CROSSROADS". Also there was a pop music show from there too,so got to see some famous artists, Petula Clark, Cilla Black,even the Rolling Stones came.And of course "The Golden Shot" with Bob Monkhouse,as kids we got in to watch that if there were any empty seats.

::) Thats it, now i can sleep tonight...hahaha. Im 51yrs, and have some very clear memories of Aston. Love to find some people i went to school with, and others that were friends in the same street etc. If anyone knows of anyone who lived in Park St, some of the names were : Paul & Matthew Clarke. Ronnie & Pauline Sargant. The Dempseys. From Lynton Rd there were the Howells, Caroline, Michael, David. They also had a sister and another brother too,but I've forgotten their names.Obviously the girls may have married and changed names,but it would be nice to know where they are now. I love this site, as everyone is so helpful,and willing. Thank you all. Jan ;D

hello aston
telegraph boy correct Gordon Lamb rings a bell but not sure very long time ago lol
i used to ride a bycycle and had close shave with a tram turning right into sutton st from aston road after leaving post office
allen

yes Jan midland red had minimum fare from city boundary so that Birmingham city did not lose to many passengers lol i worked from Sutton Garage and did that route from 1955 till 1970 then emigrated to australia Allen

You probably took me to and from work a few times then Gibbo. From 1956 until 1963 I went from Mere Green Island to Lucas Chester St and back most days.

Loved the Midland Red buses,more comfortable and cleaner too !! I migrated to Australia in 1981, live in Tasmania now after living in Vic for a few years.

probaly did mike-g i did all those services 100 101 102 103 dont think they are there now lol friend told me the buses doing those routes are green and rough lol

Good Gosh........... Is that really him. Its been a very long time since I saw his face. He was very well spoken, I suppose educated might explain what I mean. Wherever did you get that picture, is it a clip or is there more happening ? if so can I have a copy of the whole thing. Cheers O0 STUNNED

I am sure I recognise the lady with him? although I cant say for certain. :-\ I wonder too if thats the front room at Victoria Road Labour rooms? It's very like it. I remember after one campaign in which I had helped posting leaflets through doors over many nights, I was due my pay.......... I was given a crisp, new, ten bob note..... It of course burned holes in my pockets, and was probably spent in part at the House That Jack Built, and Veras sweet shop in Talford Street O0

I wonder now if anyone might have a picture of Elizabeth MacDonald or Frank Carter, other prospective councillors? and friends of my dad & mom

O0 Thank you Pomgolian. Have already got in touch with John letting him know about the family i knew. So many with the same name. Its just real nice to talk witth so many lovely people on here,and we all have something in common. Again thank you for your kind thought... Jan ^-^

Would Julius Silverman have been in the House of Commons in 1948? as I think he conducted us round the H O P on a school trip.

It might well have been ............

This list is from 1945

Birmingham Acock's Green Henry Usborne Labour
Birmingham Aston Maj. Woodrow Wyatt Labour
Birmingham Deritend Fred Longden Labour Co-op
Birmingham Duddeston Edith Wills Labour Co-op
Birmingham Edgbaston Sir Peter Bennett Conservative
Birmingham Erdington Julius Silverman Labour
Birmingham Handsworth Harold Richard Adams Conservative
Birmingham King's Norton Capt. Raymond Blackburn Labour
Birmingham Ladywood Victor Yates Labour
Birmingham Moseley Sir Patrick Hannon Conservative
Birmingham Sparkbrook Percy Shurmer Labour
Birmingham West Charles James Simmons Labour
Birmingham Yardley Wesley Perrins Labour

Its was Percy Shurmer who'd invited the school to visit, they split us into two groups and I'm sure I went with Julius Silverman's party, a nice bloke as I remember, nothing was to much trouble, and he must have answered dozens of questions.

Mavis's Hairdressers Lichfield Road

Hi all I have just been requested PM to post these two pic by a forum member, as she is still having problems uploading.
THEY ARE OF THE MEMBERS OF STAFF AT MAVIS'S HAIRDRESSERS on the LICHFIELD ROAD ASTON.The lady will post more info later.
I hope this is what you want Pat?
ASTON

I wasn't from round this area but I've just spent a facinating time reading about Lichfield Road and days gone by, what a truly fantastic writer Flowershopgirl is, her writing is equal to anything posted I've ever read here, thank you all so much for one of the best threads on the Webring.

I totally agree with Kandor. I only knew the area from travelling through on the bus, it always seemed busy and intreresting but Flowershopgirl has brought it to life, thank you.

Thanks for putting those photo's on for me Aston, as you know I cant get the hang of doing the photo's. I scanned them and then sent them to a folder, is that why they are blurred?
1st pic is of Jills wedding it was in the back of a pub just over the road from Mavis's hairdressers. From left to right, Rhoda, Shelia, Mavis, Jill the bride, Diane, me, and Carol.
Second picture, was about 10 years ago, left to right, Barbara, me, Mavis, Jill, Carol, Rhoda, and Diane.
We meet up every few years and have a good old chat mainly about the customers we had. Antbody out there remember us?
Sorry about the quality of the photo's if anyone has any advise how to get them clearer please e.mail me, in simple form as I am still a bit of a novice.

This is a better size

Just putting this on I think it's a better size I hope and some people might not want to open a file.
From left to right, Barbra, me, Mavis, Jill the bride on the earlier pic, Carol, Rhoda and her sister Diane.
This was taken about 6yrs ago we all meet up every so often,

Back