• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Library Of Birmingham 2013

I wondered how big the tiles were and what part of the ceiling they fell from?
I think the same thing happened with those saucers on the outside of Selfridges.
rosie.

I only had my first visit to the library last week, apart from the scenic lift being out of order everything else seemed ok.

Simon

The result of the 2014 RIBA Stirling prize, presented to the architect of the building that has made the greatest contribution to the evolution of architecture over the past year, will be announced this evening. The 6 buildings on the short-list are: The Library of Birmingham; London Aquatic Centre; Everyman Theatre Liverpool; London School of Economics Saw Swee Hock Student Centre; The Shard; and Manchester School of Art. Hope Birmingham wins it. Dave

Just announced that the jury of architects has given the RIBA Stirling prize to the architect of the Everyman Theatre, Liverpool. An online BBC vote of 90,000 voters found that the Birmingham Library had the most support.

I was at the Everyman last week and it's (in my opinion) worthy of the prize!
So ... B'ham Library didn't win, gosh that''s a surprise.

If you asked me. Charlie there was not much in it neither was spectactualar from the judging of the out side of the building
For what I seen of it they had no think to shout or write home about charlie there was some good ones thou
And thous two would not have had my vote , have a good day charlie ,, Alan,,, Astonian,,,

With the BBC poll you could vote more than once from different computers (I found). Not sure if you could have voted from different browsers from the same PC though (loading the page from the one you voted from showed that you already voted).
Social Media - Birmingham Updates etc asked people to vote (not that it made a difference to the RIBA judges!).

Orchestra? / Guitar group about to play earlier today (I only took the photos - didn't stick around to listen to them)

Exhibition now on in The Gallery on Level 3!

Labour Party poster

1916 soldier on what people in 2016 might think? (saw a film mention this while there).

Town Hall posters

thanks for the photos ell...must admit that cake looks good enough to eat lol

lyn

No problem!

Only popped in originally to take the statue from above, then saw the cake in front of me!

Was nice to see first timers experiencing the library for the first time!

Oh Dear oh dear, will they ever get it right ? this "wonderful" library given to us by our "wonderful" council, still confound me. Last week i contacted the archives dept with regard to renewing my CARN card ( readers card to gain admittance to the archives centre ) They replied promptly by email with instructions to download a form, !! well maybe it was my PC but i had to convert the download to a PDF file before i could view, and then print. Can you spot the deliberate mistake ? Come on my City, get it right...... please.img003.jpg

I don't ever get political on here and any of my fellow moderators who feel I am out of order are welcome to delete this BUT.

To spend £189m on a new library, spend £1,5 m on its website to raise the profile of 'the second city' and less than 2 years later cut the staff by almost half and
cut the opening hours by almost half because the council is short of money is surely some kind of sick joke
To add to this there will be no more exhibitions or events unless they are privately funded.

Good PR Work by the Birmingham city council , playing straight into the hands of those who thought it a waste of money anyway.

Last edited:
According to todays Birmingham Mail the new library costs £10,000,000 a year to operate. How is that possible when the rest of them only cost a total of £6,000,000 a year. Now they are saying four more of them have to close. Surely the best thing to do would be close the one that is causing all the problems and sell it off and disperse it's services around the local libraries where they are needed.

Nothing will change, its all about prestige and the 'bread and butter' branch libraries will have to suffer because of it. I have always thought it an abomination and still do so. Councillors listen to nobody, never have never will. Eric

I don't either Alberta but on looking back at those in charge of the council they have all made some horrendous decisions. The leaders before this lot allowed male workers to be paid extra for doing the same job as their female counterparts and now this council are paying for that mistake big time. I know because my daughter in law has come in to a few grand because of this mistake. I do aim to visit the new library before Xmas. :strawberry: Wasn't it the previous council who OK'd the building of this library?.

Last edited:
Not sure when this was announced, but it was put on facebook... "Work to demolition the Birmingham Central Library, designed by architect, John Madin in the brutalist style, will begin in January.A spokesperson from Birmingham City Council, said: "Internal work is due to begin in January. The external work is set to start in February."
The Birmingham Central Library, which opened in January in 1974, was part of an ambitious development project by Birmingham City Council to create a civic centre; however due to economic reasons significant parts of the masterplan were not completed and quality was reduced on materials as an economic measure.
The demolition is a major part of the multi-million pound Paradise Circus redevelopment.
Covering seventeen acres of land between Centenary Square and Chamberlain Square, the Paradise Circus redevelopment will provide an exciting mixed use development of offices, shops, leisure and cultural facilities together with civic amenities, a hotel and new public realm."

I agree Alberta - and Jean's hit the nail on the head.
I don't normally comment on anything political, but these cuts are a direct consequence of the failure to introduce a sensible grading system, which resulted in the massive bill for the inequality; they've carefully forgotten that and hope that everyone else have forgotten how the council got into the mess it is in.

Hi leslam and jean,
Can you both correct me just reading the threads are we talking of this new libary in the city that they are gonna bull doze
Or am I reading it wrongly its either part of it or all of it in stages during the next years its gone
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,Alan,,,,,

Back