• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lennox Street

According to the 1896 Kelly's, Westwood Bakers in New John St West was No 389 on the north corner of Hospital St nearest to Summer Lane

mike

hi all. some time ago on this thread think it was post number 33 i put quite a few pics on of lennox st.. i have just found 2 that i missed so here they are.

astoness

Thank you Lyn. It is interesting to see more photos of Lennox Street, where my gt.grandparents lived.

Judy

133 Lennox street George Dunn - Shoemaker

Hi

Has any one got info on - 133 Lennox street George Dunn - Shoemaker, wife Emma married 2/12/1867. Ian

Ian
Don't have the 1867 directory, but George Dunn wasn't listed in either the 1862 or 1873 directories. There was a George Dunn in 1873 , but he was master of the bluecoat school, and I assume not the same person. Shoemakers often run in families though (nowadays at least, my cousin , his father and grandfather were all shoemakers/ repairers). In 1862 there was a Luke Dunn , shoemaker at 9,old Inkleys (dudley St) and in the 1873 directory there was Francis Dunn, boot & shoemaker at 86 Watery Lane and Joseph Dunn, boot dealer, at 216 Heath St.
Don't know if those are any help

I should have added that in 1862 directory did not list numbers of lennox st, but in 1873 someone else was definitley there

mike

Hi Mike
Well that puts more quetions in the mind.
Discussing more with my mother I found put that George lived at what looks like "Shaft" street Birmingham in 1867 when he was 18yo and was a Gunn Finisher?
The Birth Register on 19th Jan 1874 at St George Birmingham of Henry William by Emma Dunn formerly Bassett gives the address as "The back of" 133 Lennox street Birmingham.
We think they lived there until the war and from that period on correspondence was not answered.
George did marry again after the early death of Emma. He married Hannah Short.
The other Dunns you have could have been Georges brothers and the sons of Daniel the gen before.
Fun trying to work this out hey. If you can uneath some more facts it would be great or put us onto other ways to find info. Most greatful for your efforts.

Do you know what "The Back of" relates to and a "Gunn Finisher" is

Ian

Ian
I am going out today (to birmingham german market actually, though i live some way away) and won't have time to look further till I come back this evening, but will see what I can find then. with regard to your questions, i would think a gun finisher would be the person who put the gun togehter. The guntrade comprised many individual artisans, who made each part as a sub contarctor, and these were then put together to make the gun. I'm not very knowledgable on the gun trade though. With regard to "back of", I think if you use the search button you'll probably get a good explanation. In those times in cities there were yards (or "places" or some similar description) behind the main buildings on a street, accessed by going through a covered entrance. these would be referred to as "back of " or 2xxx yard" or "xxx place" . Often the buildings were rather small and low status (as we would put it now) and were only sometimes mentioned in directories.
anyway got to go. will see if i can find anything else this evening

mike

Ian
Have looked at the streets in the 1873 directory to see which might be miswritten to apaprently read Shape St. Have assumed the first letter was an S and came up with following (all present as streets in 1873). They're very dubious, but consider whether it could be any of them.
Sarah, Saltley, Snape, St Marks, Spark,Spiceal, stafford, Stoke, Stuart and Sturge. Some of the possibilities are a bit fanciful, but if you consider them it might show up a possibility.
will have a look at later directories later this evening
Mike

Ian
Was Daniel a shoemaker?. If not, then there are 2 Daniel Dunns in the 1862 directory, one a bricklayer at 27 Bagot St and a Daniel Roscoe Dunn, corndealer at 39 Worcester St.
In 1876 a George Dunn , leather cutter is at 55 Potter’s hill,
Joseph is still at Heath St and remains there until 1888, but is not listed in 1892
In 1880 the George Dunn is now a spur leather cutter, 222 Park lane. Then in 1884, 1888, 1892, 1896 at 22 new st, Aston newtown.

In 1904 there is an Edward Lawley Greathead, bellows maker at back of 133 lennox st. No further mentions up to 1912. (There is possibly more than one establishment back of 133)
No George Dunn spur leather cutter, but two private addresses for George Dunns

Dunn George, 6 Oliver road
Dunn George,125 Upper Pershore road,

In 1908 there is a private address
Dunn George, 266 Monument road

There are a number of other George Dunns, a tripe dresser, a farmer , shopkeepers, but have ignored these.
No mention of a George Dunn in the gun trade.

Don’t know if this is any use or confusing the issue !

mike

Hi
Some great info,thanks. I will get my mother to sort it out and see if we can see a connection and get back to you.
Ian

Hi Mike
I checked and David was a "Bricklayer" so it looks like - Daniel Dunn in the 1862 directory, one a bricklayer at 27 Bagot St - is ut no record of the father of "George".
George did have wheat we thought was 2 wives, I have found records of Emma Bassett married to George but no record of Hannah Short married to George.
Henry was born 31/12/1873 and remembers calling Hannah his Mother so Emma could have died early but yet records to confirm this I cannot find.
Henry worked on a ship and jumped ship in Melbourne to stay in Australia as a teen/ from there he moved to Sydney and finally moved to Port Kembla where he settled and we still live today 3 and 4 generations on.
If you could find records to confirm the above I would appreciate it

Ian

Ian
You don't mention the census specifically, so i assume you may not have access to it. I can find no mention of a Hannah (either a short or dun , or any other name in Birmingham living at the same address as a George Dunn. A Few records of the census have disappeared, however, so that doesn't mean there wasn't one, or they could have been out and not recorded, or the names misstranscribed. There are a lot of George dunns, but what I have found which might be of some interest is the following:

12, court 1 Gt brook St
George Dunn, boot & shoe maker, 21 born Birmingham
Emma Dunn, Steel pen maker, 20(?) , born Leicester
George Dunn, 1, born Birmingham

3 Chapel Place, (294 Garrison lane)
George Dunn, boot riveter, 54(?), born Aston
Sarah Dunn, pearl button carder, 47, born birmingham
George Dunn, rope & twine maker, 15, born birmingham
Mary A Dunn,scholar, 12, born Birmingham
22 New St Aston
George Dunn,Spur leather cutter, 46, Born Birmingham
No 42 , Court 43 Wilton St, Aston
George Dunn, bootmaker, 32 born birmingham
Emma Dunn, 33. born Leicester
Eliza Dunn, 13, born birmingham
George Dunn, 11, born birmingham
Albert Dunn, 10, born birmingham
William H Dunn, 8., born birmingham
Arthur Dunn, 1 month, born Aston

129 High St Aston
George Dunn,Spur leather cutter, 53, Born Birmingham
No 3, back of 30 Garrison lane
George Dunn, shoemaker, 48
Sarah Dunn, 58, Born Birmingham
George Dunn, shoemaker, 25, Born Birmingham
Mary Ann Dunn, pressworker, brassfoundry, 22, Born Birmingham

52 Alma St
George Dunn, Spur leather cutter,66, Born Birmingham
74 &75 New Canal St (Lodging house)
George Dunn , lodger, bootmaker, 37, Born Birmingham

Mike

I have noted quite a few photos of Lennox Street posted in this thread. I had great grandparents who ran a pawnbrokers shop at No 76 Lennox Street between 1892 and 1894. They also incidentally had pawnshops at 157 Burbury Street 1910 - 1916, at 113 Clifford Street for one year only in 1901, 23 Lower Wilton Street (where was that?) between 1913 - 1918 and 100 Wilton Street was the main family home and pawnshop I think between 1895 and 1928. According to the map these were probably all very close together. In your Lennox Street photos I could not see any that covered no 76 but I might have been wrong. Can you confirm whether you have any pictures of the house/shop around that time? Many thanks

hi deadwood...i am pretty sure i have put all my pics of burbury..lennox and wilton on....you are quite right in saying these streets are very close to each other..heres a street map...

hope it may be of some help..

astoness

Thanks! The map is REALLY useful. I was driving around there today with my Aunt (who is now 81) and it is her father who was brought up in the area in and out of these different pawnshops. I now see that most of Wilton Street and Lennox Street has been obliterated! I assume that was mostly in the 60's. Do you have a date for the map? Not to worry if you don't.

Thanks again

hi deadwood...glad to be of help..the map is dated 1960.. i do have another one dated 1940 if thats of any use...

astoness

Hi
I have finally have what I feel is close to the facts if anyone can add to this in anyway please do.

Directory, Daniel Dunn - bricklayer at 27 Bagot St
Data from the marriage Cert. George and Emma were married in 1867 (Daniel was a Bricklayer)

I can find no mention of a Hannah (either a short or dun , or any other name in Birmingham living at the same address as a George Dunn. A Few records of the census have disappeared, however, so that doesn't mean there wasn't one, or they could have been out and not recorded, or the names miss transcribed.

12, court 1 Gt brook St
George Dunn, boot & shoe maker, 21 born
Birmingham
Emma Dunn, Steel pen maker, 20(?) , born Leicester
George Dunn, 1, born
Birmingham

In 1876 a George Dunn , leather cutter is at 55 Potter’s hill,
Joseph is still at Heath St and remains there until 1888, but is not listed in 1892

In 1880 the George Dunn is now a spur leather cutter, 222 Park lane. Then in 1884, 1888, 1892, 1896 at 22 new st, Aston Newtown.

No 42 , Court 43
Wilton St, Aston
George Dunn, boot maker, 32 born
Birmingham (2nd wife? Hannah Short)
Gunn finisher @ 18yr old then Shoemaker @24 yr old in 1873 was living in 133 Lennox Street
Emma Dunn, 33. Born Leicester
Data from Marriage cert - Emma Bassett married George Dunn 2/12/1867 at Bishops Ryder, Birmingham, Warwick, England.
Eliza Dunn, 13, born Birmingham
George Dunn, 11, born Birmingham
Albert Dunn, 10, born Birmingham
William H Dunn, 8., born
Birmingham
Henry William as per birth cert give by mother Emma known as William – born 13th Dec 1873 & Reg @ St George Birmingham Warwickshire 19/1/1874 was living @ back of 133 Lennox Street info from birth cert.
On his Marriage cert. he gave Hannah Short as mother?
Arthur Dunn, 1 month, born Aston

No 3, back of 30 Garrison lane
George Dunn, shoemaker,

52 Alma St

George Dunn, Spur leather cutter,66, Born Birmingham

74 &75 New Canal St (Lodging house)
George Dunn , lodger, boot maker, 37, Born Birmingham

In 1904 there is an Edward Lawley Great head, bellows maker at back of 133 lennox st. No further mentions up to 1912. (There is possibly more than one establishment back of 133)
No George Dunn spur leather cutter, but two private addresses for George Dunns

Dunn George, 6 Oliver road
Dunn George,125
Upper Pershore road,

In
1908 there is a private address
Dunn George, 266 Monument road

Correspondents with - Bryan Cole 38A Gunna Lane Rubery Birmingham.

Grandmother ”Violet Emma Dunn” born 1878 married William John Cole in 1899 (aged 21yrs) lived in the Lennox St area then in Dartmouth Street.
Had a son Fredrick William Cole died in 1985.

William H Dunn, 8., born Birmingham at the age of 14yrs stowe away on a ship to Australia. Jumped ship in Melbourne and hid on a farm until the ship left Port Phillip bay. He met his future wife “Caroline Sarah Sparnon” in the Melbourne area. Her parent were not impressed with him so they moved to Sydney where they had to wait till she was 21 yr old to get married as permission was not forthcoming. Married 1897.
Then moved to Port Kembla in around 1900s where they lived ina tent in Stewart Park before living in a house at Port Kembla finally moving and buying a house in Jubiliee Street Port Kembla.

Hi

The main aim of writing to this site was to find out about "Lennox Street" in the war. Was it bombed? As my GGgrandfather did write back to his parents that were apparently living in the back of 133 Lennox Street before the war. After the war all contact was lost so he assumed that they were bombed and believed that they were killed in this event? I would just like to shed some light on this if anyone knows.
Thanks to all so far as a clearer picture has been made for me on the tree I knew nothing about. Any info would be appreciated.

Hi Ian, My Grandmother lived in Lennox Street, I used to be taken to visit her in the mid-late 40's after the war. although I remember seeing a lot of bomb sites around that area, as far as I can remember Lennox Street was still intact.

Goffy

I lived in the next street to Lennox Street. I don't remember seeing any bombed houses there, certainly not between Farm Street and Clifford Street. My memory could be dodgy though

Hi ian
which war could it have been do you think during the forties there wads no bobedhouses theni walked up and down there daily myself
a couple of my old freimds lived down there the bevington boys
they was twins best wishes astonian

ian if you go to post no 38 i have posted a pic showing nos 115 to 143 lennox street...your 133 would be somewhere in the middle i guess...

astoness

Hi All
Thanks for this input, I find some stories really strange and a mystrious that seem to not be resolved.
William Henry Dunn (my GGrandfather) that came to Australia stated that his mother was Hannah Short (on his marriage cert) but his birth mother was Emma Bassett?
He lived at the back of 133 Lennox Street? Cannot find reference anywhere.
He did writ to his parents up till WWII but after no more replies were recieved as he then assumed that they were killed in the bombings?

Maybe these will be left unresolved?

Ian

Can anyone tell me if there was a Loxton Street in the area of Lennox Street and Gt Russell Street? My family on the 1871 census (Samuel and Agnes Hanson and children) are living at No. 9 Gough Terrace, Loxton Street, but I wonder if the enumerator made a mistake and it should have been Lennox Street.

I have found a Loxton Street near Nechells Parkway but that is way out of the enumeration district.

Here is the description of the enumeration district on the 1871 census:

Back