• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lea Family

LindaJenkins

knowlegable brummie
Hello again~

I am looking for the Lea side of my family. Nellie Lea is my great grandmother. She was born in June of 1879 and died June 1925. Her father was Thomas Lea (1852 or 54) and her mother's name was Ann. I cannot find a maiden name for her mother other than her married name "Lea". I also cannot find a date of death or marriage date. I know Thomas was a railroad clerk. He is listed on all census until 1901, then I lose him and cannot find a date of death. Also, the RR site has him listed as "superannuated" and I cannot tell if it is 1894 or 1899. If he was ill, it would make sense why he wasn't on the 1901 census.

Any and all help is appreciated. You all have been a tremendous blessing the past 10 days! :grinsmile:

Blessings,
Linda

Hi,on the 1911 census,Ann states she is married and has been for 38 years with 7 children born and still alive.
There are 7 children on the 1901,Annie,Edith,Nellie,Rose,Violet,Winifred and Harold.
Could this be the marriage?
Marriages Mar 1874
Ann EVANS Birmingham 6d 9
Thomas Lea Birmingham 6d 9

There is a marriage registration in June qtr 1974 Birmingham - Thomas Lea to Ann Evans.

This is the only one I can find that may fit as their first child on the 1891 census was born about 1874.

Hi,on the 1911 census,Ann states she is married and has been for 38 years with 7 children born and still alive.
There are 7 children on the 1901,Annie,Edith,Nellie,Rose,Violet,Winifred and Harold.
Could this be the marriage?
Marriages Mar 1874
Ann EVANS Birmingham 6d 9
Thomas Lea Birmingham 6d 9

I would assume that is it! Yes those are all her children and I would say 1874 would be right. Thanks so much for that information. I only have up to the 1901 Census. Was Thomas on the 1911 Census? I still have no date of death on him. Sometimes this can be so confusing and other times it falls right into place.

Blessings, Linda

Hi,no he wasn't with the family ,but Ann states she was married!
The family were at 157 Bolton Road until at least 1955 (the on-line Rolls finish then) when Violet was listed on her own.
An Ann Lea is last mentioned at that address in 1939,with Violet Lea.

The family were at 157 Bolton Road until at least 1955 (the on-line Rolls finish then) when Violet was listed on her own.

She was listed in 1901 as married, but Thomas wasn't mentioned then either. There is a word that I cannot read in the 1901 census under employment for Ann.

Hi Lady Linda,

you stated the on-line Rolls finish in 1955. Do they state who was still living at 157 Bolton? I am trying to figure out when the daughters and son possibly left the house and got married. Ancestry.com only has the census up til 1901. Thanks ahead of time if you are able to help me.

:) Linda

Marriages Dec 1918
Whinny Lea married John A Bate Aston 6d 821
1950-1955 living at 111 Sunnymead Road
John A Bate and Whinny Bate
Cannot find this couple between marriage and 1950.

Possible marriage for Harold Lea
Marriages Dec 1921
Harold Lea married Dorothy H Hudson Birmingham 6d 681
1927 at 37 Church Grove,Sparkhill
Harold Lea and Dorothy Harriett Lea
1930-1939 at 72 Florence Road,Acocks Green
1945 at 72 Florence Road,Acocks Green
Harold Lea and Dorothy Harriett Lea,Raymond H.Lea, Vera G Lea,
1950-1955 at 72 Florence Road,Acocks Green

Back