• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Laurel & Hardy & Charlie Hall

johnlaughing

proper brummie kid
My name is John Ullah.
I run the Birmingham branch of the Laurel & Hardy appreciation society called Laughing Gravy.

I am writing a book about Charlie Hall, who was born in Birmingham, and went on to appear in 47
films with Stan & Ollie.

Does anyone have information on the following:-
The Metropolitan Cage Works.

Also does anyone know a factory that made gas masks in 1938.

Here's another nice mess you could be getting me out of!

:)

John are you sure its Metropolitan Cage and not Metropolitan Carriage which became Metro Cammell at Saltley

Don't know if this is what you want, from 1938 Kellys :
GAS​
MASKS.
Siebe, Gorman & Co. Ltd. 187
Westminster Bridge rd. London s E 1.
Representatives: S. T. Pemberton &
Co. 8 Church street, Colmore row

Birmingham

H
My name is John Ullah.
I run the Birmingham branch of the Laurel & Hardy appreciation society called Laughing Gravy.

I am writing a book about Charlie Hall, who was born in Birmingham, and went on to appear in 47
films with Stan & Ollie.

Does anyone have information on the following:-
The Metropolitan Cage Works.

Also does anyone know a factory that made gas masks in 1938.

Here's another nice mess you could be getting me out of

Hi John, Sorry i cannot help re Charlie Hall but out of interest have you visited The Bull Inn , at Bottesford Nottinham ng13 0bw.
Stan's sister Olga married a man from Grantham called Bill and they took over the Bull in 1948 . In 1952 Laurel and Hardy stayed for the christmas holidays , serving behind the bar and entertaining the locals. i understand they still celebrate this event. The last time i visited there were lots of photos on the walls.
You could visit the Bottesford living history website,there is a lot of info on the pub and its history including L& H. You may find a link to help with your enquiery.

Bob,

You have hit the nail on the head. It has to be the Metropolitan Carriage (which became Metro Cammell at Saltley)
as Charlie was born Ward End, and then moved to Saltley. He also went to Leigh Road School in Saltley.

As for the Gas mask factory, I was told there was a factory in Cherrywood Road, Bordesley Green.
(This would be easy for Charlie to get to in 1938) but cannot find the name.

I know all about the pub In Bottesford, but thank you for trying to help me.

Hi John,
Shooting off at a tangent, did you know that in Spain L & H are known - with the usual Spanish directness - as "El Flaco y el Gordo" (the thin one and the fat one)? Whenever I'm asked what my name translates to in Spanish, I try to explain that Stanley is simply a surname adopted as a Christian name and there is no Spanish equivalent. I offer Mr L as a famous example, saying "you know, El Flaco y el Gordo" and they say "ah yes, but wasn't Stanley the THIN one???" :-(
It gets worse: my superior half is called Joan. This means John in Catalan Spain (the female being Joana), leading to us being mistaken for a different sort of partnership when various documents are presented :-( :-(
You have to laugh, don't you.
#deety dee, deety dee ...#

El Gordo \\\\\ Stano

El Stano,

Why don't you do something to help me!

It's Stan Laurel's birthday today (16th June) and he would of been 120 years old.
About how I feel at the moment.

Stan and Charlie were great mates, and would often go out drinking together.
It got Charlie into a lot of trouble.

I'm hoping my book will be out by the end of the year.
I've been researching it for about 3 years.

It will be called 'This is more than I can stand'.
And after 3 years, it's more than I can stand as well.

John

Yes, I'm on the photo. I'm the small guy (5'4" the same size as Charlie) with the bald head.
It was my idea to name the pub The Charlie Hall.

The Birmingham branch of the Laurel & Hardy appreciation society is called Laughing Gravy.
Charlie Hall played the landlord in this film.

We meet on the 1st Thursday of every month at the Forget me not Club, Tyburn Road, Erdington.
Everyone is welcome.

John

It could be a number of people. The guy with the bald head and moustache who was with Sennett and L&H is James Finlayson. He would always say Doh! And this is where Homer Simpson gets it from.
Or it could be Snub Pollard.

Back