• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Latimer Street Highbury Place & Irving Street The Limes

Ls48029

knowlegable brummie
A quick question from one unfamiliar with the back to back layout but fascinated to learn more of my family history in Birmingham... the maps i have form the era I'm looking at (1900-30) don't give me much indication as to whether the back to backs on Latimer Street and Irving Street were entirely walled off from one another, or whether there were small walkways or access ways to walk through from one street to another, could anyone help?
The very specific example is an address at 7/23 aka 7 court 5 (Highbury Place I believe) Latimer Street, and 6 The Limes Irving Street which I believe was 159 or 160. They almost back on to one another so I'm trying to understand if people passed between the courts through literal 'back channels' or whether the route to get between these courts would be on foot right back via what looks like a large crossroads with Cregoe Street.
Any thoughts from anyone familiar with the set up at this time?
Thank you very much in advance!

As far as I can see court 5 Latimer St doesn't back on to The Limes, Irving St. I think pink dot is court 5, Latimer St and green line is The Limes...

0 - Latimer St.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. that is correct. You are also correct in that the Limes court is between 159 and 160. There could be no connection between the two. Looking at the larger scale maps seems to show that there was no connection between the courts of the two streets, they were completely separate

My apologies for being unclear! the family were at two different addresses on Latimer, court 5 but also no7 at 23) and that court is much closer to the back of The Limes. It seems they moved about a bit, but never any great distance!
However, either way we don’t think there was any ‘Interconnectedness’ between the Latimer and Irving St courts?

If it was that, then they would be close. It is only a single line on the map separating the two areas whereas in virtually every other case there is a building orca double line. This could conceivably mean that thee was a gate, but I do think that would have been unusual

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. It has made things a lot clearer in terms of the 'flow of movement' of people. It sounds fair to say that while someone with a Latimer St address might have been technically in closer proximity to someone in an Irving Street address if they were based toward the back of a court for example, they would not necessarily be having any contact or common ground if no interlinking walkways etc were being used. Do correct me if you think I'm drawing the wrong conclusions on how the geography shaped things!
(Thank you as always for the kindness and community I always find when coming to this site to further my research!)

As the building buildings became older and rundown maybe, would some of the boundary walls have fallen down or maybe been knocked down to allow for connection between courts?

Could anyone help me to locate Back 45 Latimer Street Birmingham ( possibly Court 2) Thanks

could i also have a map please for court 9 house number 1 latimer st...this would be in 1901..

many thanks

lyn

Lyn. The leather works marked are in Irving St, though that is very near Latimer St. This in 1890 was Rendell Underwood, dressing case makers, at 157-159.
There was also then a leather works in Latimer St, Robert Gough at no 103.

Lyn. The leather works marked are in Irving St, though that is very near Latimer St. This in 1890 was Rendell Underwood, dressing case makers, at 157-159.
There was also then a leather works in Latimer St, Robert Gough at no 103.
thanks mike so morts rellies could have worked at either the leather works in latimer st or the one in irving st

lyn

A quick question from one unfamiliar with the back to back layout but fascinated to learn more of my family history in Birmingham... the maps i have form the era I'm looking at (1900-30) don't give me much indication as to whether the back to backs on Latimer Street and Irving Street were entirely walled off from one another, or whether there were small walkways or access ways to walk through from one street to another, could anyone help?
The very specific example is an address at 7/23 aka 7 court 5 (Highbury Place I believe) Latimer Street, and 6 The Limes Irving Street which I believe was 159 or 160. They almost back on to one another so I'm trying to understand if people passed between the courts through literal 'back channels' or whether the route to get between these courts would be on foot right back via what looks like a large crossroads with Cregoe Street.
I knew the area well. I was born there. I could even draw a rough map.
Joan

I lived in Irving Street 1950-60. I don't recall any legit ways of getting from Irving street to Latimer st. But trust me there were more than one unorthodox ways of achieving a way through.
As kids one of our many pastimes was bashes. Essentially have a bash at something inherently dangerous.
One such bash which is significant to your question was to dash up one of the few entry's on Irving Street that allowed you to cross the yard, negotiate either walls, roofs or bins to shin your way usually a drop into the yard behind the Latimer street houses. Not for the faint hearted but qualified as a bash. If it went wrong you were only a hop, skip and a jump to the Acci on Bath Row.

Back