• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

both my grandparents thomas williams and dorothy perkins lived in kingstanding, numbers 205 and 152 kings road , my mother marina williams lived in kings road at 152, she has and elder sister maureen and younger brother david, does anyone remember them?

susen

Alberta,
Sorry I am very late on this thread.
I used to know a John (Jack) and Evelyn Rycroft who lived in Birdbrook Rd.

Mayfair Pass by the side of the Cinema into Wimpole Grove into Plumstead Road, how's that Cat?:coolcheesy:
Dulwich Grove was directly opposite Wimpole Grove and at the back of that was Dulwich Road School,later Warren Farm.
It has now been turned into a leisure centre housing the new swimming baths.
All the surrounding road and grove names were of London areas.Plumstead,Dulwich ,Chingford,Tottenham,Twickenham,Wimpole and more you could probably name.

Hi Catkin`: Took that footpath from Gypsy Lane through to College Road many times before it was developed with houses. It was just allotments for many years and in the Spring there lots of wild lupins growing there. I haven`t been through there for a long long time either.
Jennyann,I remember it so well,first there were the allottments,when they disappeared the fields were full of lupins which we all picked to take home,then they put up blocks of monstrous flats.
Those days when we wandered through those fields of lupins were glorious.

I Dont know if these have been on before , but heres a few early views of the area.
I recognise only one of your pictures Astonite ,that of Dulwich Grove,seems to be a very early one,have you any connection?Do not recognise the other photos,where were they taken?

the other grove is possibly wardour, taken not long after they were built, 1930s? most of my rels lived in or near to kingstanding, cant rememember exactly where the others are but they are definitely Kingstanding, someone on the forum will tell us where.

Wardour Grove was where I was brought up, its off College Rd, almost opposite The College Arms

What I remember about KIngstanding:

College Rd:
VG store corner of Twickenham rd and College Rd
The chippy owned by a greek man and his son got killed on a motor bike
The Co-op on College Rd near Finchley Park
The College Arms pub and Sunday morning whippet racing.
The Welfare on Warren Farm Rd near College Rd, my baby brother used to go there.
The Municipal bank on the roundabout at college Rd/ Brackenbury Rd.
Bob the shoe shop, he repaired my dads shoes.
The old small pox hospital being set alight and burnt to the ground,
The Mayfair cinema
The big Ford workshop
The Crossways pub
The number 5 bus

Hawthorn Rd:
The bike repair shop
Bruce Rioch opening his bathroom shop
The old rooms above the Co-op
Littlewoods
Boots
Wimbush
Greenaway fishing tackle shop
Foster brothers
Think there was a Marks and Spencers
Lathams

Other parts:
The prefabs by Christ the King church
The swimming baths on Warren Farm Rd and it did have a diving board till somebody nearly got killed!!
Finchley park with a big pool and a massive playground
The King Charles pub
The Villa training at Cooksey lane
The coaches outside Kingstanding ex-service waiting to take the kids to Alton towers.

Will sleep on it tonight and remember more for tomorrow!!!!

Hi Jennyanne i lived in Kingstanding and my grandmother lived in Farly road we used to do the same walk down through the allotments all through the 1940s 50s and my dad had a garden in those allotments Allen

We moved from 4 Sandy Lane Aston, moved to Birdbrook Rd Gt. Barr in 1940's.

I lived on the wrong side of the road to go to Aldridge Rd School.

I also went to Crambourne Rd Infant's & Juniors, Miss Fairhead was the Head.

Later I went to Dulwich Rd Seniors, we had Boldy Vickery was Art, Cromdome Chritchley. the Girls and the Boys playground's joined at rear of the school, you daren't cross over in to girls.

The maths teacher was a Mr. Blackman, drama was Mr.Wilson

We had to walk there the 28 Bus route finished at Hawthorne Rd. and Dyas Rd. was an un adopted road just cobbles down to Aldridge Rd also un finished road.

Do'es anybody remember The Drakes Drum, during the the War it was called the "Penny on the Drum", the American Service men from Pheasey estate used it.

They used to hold dances in the Church of St. Mathews corner of Birdbrook Rd.

Across the road from "The Drakes Drum" was a farm, Brooklyn Farm, corner of Beeches Rd. And Aldridge Rd. There was a water cress farm bottom Birdbrook Road feed for the brook that used run behind the houses in Birdbrook Road which used to flood the back gardens .

Yes if you name the road I'm sure I would recognise it. When we first moved to Duned road the only school we could get the children into was Crambourne road. As soon as a place became available we moved them to Sundridge road a lot closer. Jean.

GG,
The paddling pool in the park?
you could either enter the park via finchleyRd and it would then have been on the left hand side,also you could walk into Homerton Rd, and go past the swings & roundabouts
I often paddled in the pool,sometimes loade with little red worms,we would sail our boats on there too,the parkkeepers hut was close by

Thanks Dennis. Dave I know now. We pass it on the way back fom Castle Bromwich. They have a lot of trouble around there from what the local papers say. Chears. GG.

My Aunt and Uncle lived in Finchley Road No.87. Their house and garden backed on to the Park. The area is much changed and is going downhill very fast. It's sad to see because years ago it was a great area.

My parents first flat was above the Co-op on Kingstanding Road. The building later became a Working Man's Club but I'm not sure if the building is still standing.

I used to go to the Swimming Baths with my friend. We would walk up the Wyrley Birch right of way from Yerbury Grove and then up Hawthorn Road and down to the pool. I learned to swim in the small pool there. We used to hide in the cubicles in the changing room by putting ourselves on the seats. When the "checker" came around at the Session changeover they just used to look for legs in the changing rooms and they never could see ours!

When we were kids we climbed the railings and got into the brook in Warren Farm Road (between the prefabs at that time) we went along through the tunnels all the way to Finchley Park and shouted at the kids playing there from behind the pool overflow. E

There was also an entrance to the park on Kings road, which led you down the grass covered hill to the paddling pool.

Have a nice day, Wally.

Wally that's the entrance we pass coming down the Kings road from the Chester road. Have a good day too. Jean.

When we were kids we used to go to the pool in the hols. Mom would make a picnic of jam sandwiches and orange squash, It was brilliant.

Here's a pic of the paddling pool in Homerton/Finchly Rd park
Did anyone spot my deliberate mistake??
I should have wrote the pool was on the Right hand side not the left
sorry folks

I recognise only one of your pictures Astonite ,that of Dulwich Grove,seems to be a very early one,have you any connection?Do not recognise the other photos,where were they taken?

Top Row 2nd photo, College Rd, Kingstanding Rd going off to the left, before being developed it was called Holly Lane.
No4 top row, looking down Streetly Rd from Stockland Green, Erdington towards Short Heath.
Last photo is the same shop as the other photo, top row No2

bren

dennis, that's a great photo of the pool, i was born just off the Circle, Kingstanding and we used to get everywhere including that pool. My mate had an older sister who used to live in Hornsey Rd so we used to say we was going there but often ended up in that park.

bren

The photo's are:
Streetly Rd looking down to Short Heath Rd
Dulwich Grove
2 x The shop on junction with College Rd and Kingstanding Rd
Waltham Grove off Hurlingham Rd

Back