• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

King Kong Statue

I think you'll find that was his brother Ping Pong. King Kong was definately at Witton. His scientific name was: Megaprimatus Villatus Kong

In 1890 Mr Foster patented table tennis which everyone knows is really PING PONG. Fact 1
Mr Foster is presently the Blues gaolie. Fact 2

So there is a link between Ping Pong and the Blues keeper.

I was reading the further adventures of King Kong in todays Birmingham Mail. Somehow I have the feeling that he won't make it back here.

Phil

BirminghamMail.jpg

It dosent look like they will let it go, which is a shame I would have liked to have seen it back in Birmingham.

I Know its a bus photograph taken in 1972 but if you look carefully enough you can see our friend KING KONG............ragga ............
bull ring 1972.jpg

Thanks for that Winston. My neighbor who is in her eighties and her friends were in the garden yesterday having a chat and this very subject came up and they were talking about King Kong when he was in Birmingham. Do you think it would ever happen though Winston?. Looks like he is about to bite off Ray's hand in the picture?.

Last edited:
It would be nice to see him back in brum.he does seem part of our history. Better than lying on his back.Looks like he's waiting to catch Fay Wray or a bunch of bananas.

'King Kong' is owned by Lesley Mabey (Widow of the founder of Spook Erections) and currently resides in her garden. Ray Egan (AKA John Bull) is a Brummie who is trying to get it brought back to Brum.

I would be happy for it to stay where it is. Just my view.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Brumgum:
I noticed this article last week and have to say that King Kong looks awful painted glossy black.

Hi Brumgum:
I noticed this article last week and have to say that King Kong looks awful painted glossy black.
Yes, what were they thinking. I wish we could have him back for good, I'd stick him near the markets on Edgbaston Street or at the approach to the Bullring near the old Times building.

[QUOTE=BernardR;

I would be happy for it to stay where it is. Just my view.

Hi All,

I agree with Bernard. KIng Kong never really belonged to Birmingham in fact I believe that he started life on a garage forecourt in Camp Hill in order to attract motorists. I certainly would not have him in my garden (that is if I had a garden)

Old Boy

Hi Brummie Nick,

Wikipedia was quite right King Kong was commissioned to complete the Bull Ring developement and was put in Manzoni Gardens, Many people complained that he looked completely out of place so he was moved and eventually bought by a garage that sold used cars in Camp Hill. The garage was renamed King Kong Kars.

Old Boy

Back