• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

King georges park kingstanding

cally4u2

as a brummie i use to play in king georges park as a kid , i went to kingsland school in 1969 left there and joined kingsrise as it was known then before it was burnt down ..i remember this park when i was 5 yrs old being maintained by a man called frank ? .. he use to take care of the then foot ball pitches that was on the park grounds .. and maintain roses plants etc there was a big cafe , and the park had a slide roundabout swings seasaw, benches and lots of roses i went there a few yrs ago to visit my family in kingstanding and was sad to see this park is no more than just a flat field now nothing on it ? the cafe was closed down some time before me n my family left kingstanding which was in 1976, we moved to wales then ..but we were all born n bred in birmingham are surname was conway..and we used to live in anerley grove, near cooksey lane.. use to love the beacon and sutton park spent many a hr in there with mates from school etc, i now live in lancs, id love to know what happened to mates i went 2 school with at kingsrise, there was a dawn hubbard, gale hubbard, maxine hubbard, denise hubbard, of norbury rd then, and a kusum patel of wellhead lane perry bar, lorraine harris of warren farm i think ..pauline dale from carshalton rd, anita pain from kilburn rd, jane elliott from brokwell rd bandy wood, karen poolton cooksey lane, dawn kendal keston grove, and loads of others love to know what lifes bought 4 them ? they all will be around 47/48 yrs old now any info ??

Last edited by a moderator:
as a brummie i use to play in king georges park as a kid , i went to kingsland school in 1969 left there and joined kingsrise as it was known then before it was burnt down ..i remember this park when i was 5 yrs old being maintained by a man called frank ? .. he use to take care of the then foot ball pitches that was on the park grounds .. and maintain roses plants etc there was a big cafe , and the park had a slide roundabout swings seasaw, benches and lots of roses i went there a few yrs ago to visit my family in kingstanding and was sad to see this park is no more than just a flat field now nothing on it ? the cafe was closed down some time before me n my family left kingstanding which was in 1976, we moved to wales then ..but we were all born n bred in birmingham are surname was conway..and we used to live in anerley grove, near cooksey lane.. use to love the beacon and sutton park spent many a hr in there with mates from school etc, i now live in lancs, id love to know what happened to mates i went 2 school with at kingsrise, there was a dawn hubbard, gale hubbard, maxine hubbard, denise hubbard, of norbury rd then, and a kusum patel of wellhead lane perry bar, lorraine harris of warren farm i think ..pauline dale from carshalton rd, anita pain from kilburn rd, jane elliott from brokwell rd bandy wood, karen poolton cooksey lane, dawn kendal keston grove, and loads of others love to know what lifes bought 4 them ? they all will be around 47/48 yrs old now any info ??
Pauline Dale is my sister-in-law

Like yourself,i used to spend many an hour in king georges park as as a child/teenager, and distinctly remember frank, the playground equipment,the cafe as we used to call it etc,and the awful showers.I remember some of the families in Keston Road; the McCarthys;the Dickinsons,the Connollys [ i think]. Like yourself i was dismayed when i went back some years later to see it it reduced basically to a lawn.I dont know if you you knew any of them. I moved away in 1974.

nah i never knew them names but i guess we recall diff ppl lol i mixed with alot of kids back then and any one who went in to the park really , well went back to brum yesterday for a day out went there green metal gates up now and all over grown no sighn any swings were there or a cafe no foundations nothing but over grown grass its so sad

Back