• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill Cemetery

• Thread starter Thread starter Wendy
  • Start date Start date
HI WENDY
Hope you are well;
just been reading some old threads regarding your thread and you mentioned the druids is there any chance that you may have a pic of this grave and statue stone and is there any way i can find out any think to learn from this society as it was a very strict and closed society i have been told
my father and my mothers family was an member of this society and they wore bowler hats and i am told by an senior member of the jelfs family that he was hoping to join it but by the time he was of age it closed down ; may be the death of the founder you have mentioned
i will try andget to se if if its possible can you pin point the excact spot where it can be found
i am told my mothers fathers and his family going back in time was senior members of this society i beleive they was what he said was grand masters
of the society and thats how my own father got excepted into it by them other wise he would not have been excepted
by the society as they was all bussiness men my young sister as got the medalion with a subscription on it on a mauve coloured ribbon
from my father to what i can make out this society of bussiness men helped the poor familys in the society of Aston AND bIRMINGHAM
Financely through out
secondly is the key hill society still going as i would like to get involved if its possible as i have always liked key hill with intrest
and warstone lane it was a regular haunt for me as we only lived up the rd when i was a young kid
i noticed you gave a address out regarding wingfield house i also lived there when i first got married to my first wife at number 27 ;
its a small world wendy i would say wouldn,t you so if there is a chance i could enlist to this society i beleive also in the180s there was a jelf member burried there as well which i found out from the archives in central libary ;
have a nice day wendy best wishes astonian

Hi, could anybody help me looking for the grave of my grandmother LILLIAN SMITH IN SOWERBY BRIDGE? She was the daughter of
CLEMENT HARRIS who married ETHEL BOTTOMLEY in Halifax in 1912.

Their only child LILLIAN HARRIS was born in Sowerby Bridge in 1913, she married Leonard Horace Smith on 6 Aug 1934 and after their first child Mary Elizabeth Smith was born in Sowerby Bridge,on 12 April 1935 she had gone "LOST" when Leonard took Mary Elizabeth with him on a boxing bout to South Africa.Could he have brought his 2 year old with him because her mother Lillian died??? Could there be any Lillian Smith (Harris) burried in or around Sowerby Bridge that would match Lillian's birthdate, marriage to Leonard in 1934 in Birmingham - from 1937 ao any trace that she may have then devorced him and remarried?? Any way of finding a grave for her in her married or maiden name in or around Sowerby Bridge will be so much appreciated,,,,, Please, if anybody can help? Their only daughter is nearing her 77th birthday and need to know where her mother's grave is - Lillian Smith (nee Harris), Thanks a mill, Emmie

Not sure why you have posted on the Key Hill thread. Where is Sowerby Bridge?

Wendy, I think Sowerby Bridge is in Yorkshire. But I notice the person they are looking for was married in Birmingham.

Hello Alan I know you have an interest in the cemeteries in the Jewelley Quarter. There seem to be several Jelfs in the cemeteries. You can join the Friends Of Key Hill and Warstone Lane at any time although we are trying to sort out a yearly membership which will make things easier. The open day this year will be at Warstone Lane Cemetery on Sat 10th September. We would love to see any who are interested and want to join us...xx

Thanks Polly I get so many look up requests I get confused. Must be getting old.....lol x

hi wendy
many thanks for your reply i will put that in my diary ;and look foreward to closer the date
regarding meeting times i will be there sat the 10th
all the best alan ;; Astonian

I don't know if this wonderful drawing of Key Hill has been posted before, I looked through all the Key Hill threads and I couldn't see it. It shows the Cemetery and the Catacombs and also shows St Michaels which has now been demolished.

Phil

599942e6.jpg

Phill, I believe that is Warstone Lane Cemetery. It is a beautiful picture - it really shows how it would have looked in its heyday. :)

pollypops

You are right, I always get the two mixed up and I misread the information with this one. So I hope you don't mind it's on the wrong thread. If so I will get a moderator to remove it.

Phil

Hello Wendy, if you get chance could you look for a Caroline Chancellor, died May 1893 in either Warstone Lane or Key Hill please.
Thanks very much.
Lynne.

Caroline Chanceller is buried in Warstone Lane, register entry no. 46320. The Birmingham and Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry can supply an image of the relevant entry from the Interment Register page by contacting Yvonne Harrison by email at warstonelanecemetery@bmsgh.org or by post to 54 Exe Hill, Torquay, Devon, TQ2 7RA.

Regards

Jackie

Lynne, Caroline Chanceller Buried in Warstone Lane Cemetery 1893 Sec B Plot 1637.

hi all..wonder if either brian or wendy could have a look for me please to see if a claar rowbotham died 3rd nov 1927 age 54 is buried at warstone lane..we think she was originally buried at st thomas.s but after it was bombed during the war i believe the bodies were removed and interred at warstone lane cem....or maybe even key hill..

thank you for any help

lyn

Hi Lyn

No Rowbothams that match in either cemetery, but 36 re-interrments from St thomas's were carried out in catacomb 9 of Warstone lane 1954-55
All just stated - "Unidentified remains" - Looks like there were no lables or identifying plates.

Bri

thanks bri...so clara could be one of those 36 unidentified then...how sad is that...dont surpose you know anything about st thomas do you bri..i was wondering if just a few of the bodies were removed..also does the church still exist...

lyn

yes pol thats the one but ive just read that burials there stopped before clara died so she must be at another church nearby...

thanks pol..

lyn

Well the good news is it seems she wasn't buried and then moved - now you just have to find where she is :confused2: good luck.

My Great grandparents are both buried in paupers graves in Key Hill.
When some of the graves were moved to make way for the Metro, my great grandmother, 2 of her sons, a daughter in law & 1 of her grandsons were all moved in spite of vigorous protests from the families. They are now recorded on the memorial at the back of the cemetery.
I used to go regularly with my aunt to put flowers on the grave, but she died several years ago & I no longer live in England.
It would be good to know that the memorial garden is being maintained as we were assured it would be, but I have my doubts.

hi senoraruz..if you had given us the names of your rellies i could have taken a look for you as i am at key hill today...i will however try and locate the memorial garden for you and take a pic if i can..

lyn

Hi senoraruz,

There is no garden as such - there is a green circle of grass in front - retains water when it rains, and is sheaded by all the trees so nothing grows but grass and weeds.

There are some shrubs and trees planted behind the memorial wall, which is unkempt and overgrown.

Grass cutting/trimming and an annual collection of most of the leaves are as much as the Council does. The memorial is still there and we take pics later today for you.

Brian

Thanks Lyn.
I know where the memorial garden was put. Whether it´s still there is another matter.
All the family attended the memorial service when it was opened & I still have the order of service from the event.
We were assured by Centro that if we agreed to the graves being moved, the memorial garden would be cared for. Looks like it didn´t happen from what you say.

Thanks for the pics.
Not how it looked when it was opened, nor how Centro promised it would be maintained.
Good job my Aunt isn´t here to see it. She fought long & hard, along with other families to prevent the graves from being re sited in the first place & only finally agreed because of Centro´s promise to keep them in good order. She would be devastated, but not really surprised as she never believed they would keep their promise.
Wonder how many of the other families concerned have seen it.

and the thing is they only kept the few headstones you can see from the original site...how sad to think that when folk come looking most will not have a headstone to visit..:(

i only found out recently that i have a relative buried in a public grave at key hill and i went to see her resting place today...a little baby named janet who lived only a matter of minutes...she has no inscription on the shared headstone but it is my intention to go back and plant the whole plot..

My aunt did that. She regularly took flowers, planted bulbs etc. Her husband used to always go with her because even 15 years ago the place was full of druggies & winos. She petitioned the City council to make the place more secure, but was told it wasn´t cost effective. Whenever I went with her, the place was full of syringes, broken bottles, desecrated graves etc.
The sad thing is, we had been trying for years to find out where my g grandparents were buried & had only found the graves less than 6 months before they were earmarked to be moved.

Back