• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill Cemetery

Astonian, if you go back to post #19 of this thread there is a map of Key Hill Cemetery. Section D is near to Key Hill and it is not a public grave area. As you have so much information it would be worth contacting Handsworth, this where the records for Key Hill are kept. They do charge but give a lot of information i.e. Name of deceased, burial register number, date of burial, age, date of death/cause of death (if given), last known address/place of death (if different), section and grave number, public or private grave. Alternatively you could visit Birmingham Library as they have the registers on microfilm. You will need reel 280 - 1836-1879. I hope this helps. Moma P

Joseph Chamberlain's Grave

Joseph Chamberlain and his two wives who died in childbirth grave at Key Hill Cemetery.

s_Grave_2007_edit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
George Dawson

The memorial to George Dawson was erected 31 years after his death by some of the leading citizens in Birmingham. He was one of Birminghams's most brilliant preachers. He was held in high esteem by the people of Birmingham for his work and lectures on religion, politics and education.

Died Nov 30 1876 aged 55.

George_Dawson_memorial_1.JPG

Newspaper clip showing Joseph Chamberlain on his final journey to Key Hill just passing Edward St and heading towards the cemetery (note wrong date on newspaper)

Postcard overprinted with his Birth 8th July1936 and Died date July 2nd 1914

Thank you for the pictures Cromwell. I had not seen either before great as usual.:)

The Birmingham General Cemetery

In the early part of the nineteenth Century there was a great need for reform in the disposal of the dead, for at that time began the phenomenal growth which was to raise the erstwhile 'overgrown village' into a city of the first magnitude.

An effort to cope with this need was made in 1832 when a number of gentlemen met at the Royal Hotel, New Street, to record their opinion that additional provision in respect of burial ground was urgently needed to meet the requirements of the town.

They therefore decided to form a cemetery to be set apart for ever for the exclusive purpose of the burial of the dead, to be available for al personal of all sections of the Church, whose members should be allowed to inter their dead according to their respective views of the place of sepulchre, making choice of their own ministers to officiate.

Thus was inaugurated the first cemetery in Birmingham and district and history has proved the wisdom of making it a General Cemetery, for there are interred in this God's Acre representatives of every branch of the Christian Church.

The site was fronted by Icknield Street, the old Roman road, and Key Hill was chosen from many others on account of the subsoil, which is very find sand and is known as the 'Upper Bunker', one of the Triassic series of rocks. Another factor which led to the choice of this site was its then beautiful surroundings. Dr Langford, in his 'History of Birmingham' states that "this cemetery is decidedly the most picturesque of our cemeteries, the grounds being beautifully and admirably laid out in walks, with ornamental lawns and shrubberies".

Considerable foresight and taste were displayed by the early members of the Board, including such gentlemen as Mr Richard Hasluck, Mr Benjamin Hudson and Mr Thomas Tyndall, who devoted much attention to the formation and development of this burial ground in erecting the Chapel, building the catacombs and surrounding the cemetery with a massive wall and heavy iron railings, also for providing an Observatory for the accommodation of persons wishing the watch the graves of their dead.

It is interesting to note at the present time of trade depression, that the Guardians of the Poor from whom the land was purchased, embodied in the draft deed a clause to the effect that the Cemetery Authorities should undertake to find work for the unemployed of the town. This clause, however, was objected to and ultimately eliminated.

The foundation of the Chapel was laid on 14 July 1835 by P M James, Esq (High Bailiff) and Thomas Tyndall Esq (Low Bailiff). The Rev John Angell James of Carrs Lane and the Reverend Thomas Morgan of Cannon Street and Bond Street Chapel conducted the service. The directors afterwards invited those to who took part in the ceremony and their friends, to dine at the New Royal Hotel, New Street.

Through the many years that have elapsed since the Rev John Angell conducted the first funeral service, the Cemetery has increased in sacred memories and hallowed associations.

-2-
The City Council recently entered into negotiations with a view to their taking over the Cemetery and thus becoming custodians of the resting place of so many of Birmingham's leading citizens. These negotiations having fallen through, the duty of maintaining the Cemetery and beautifying the grounds remains with the Company, a duty which will ever be reverently performed.

On every hand may be seen memorials which seem to say 'I would not have you to be ignorant concerning them which are asleep'. One of England's greatest statesmen and Birmingham' most famous citizen, Joseph Chamberlain, has said 'This is the most interesting place in the World to a Birmingham man'.

Here, as nowhere else, the silent monuments yet speak to all thoughtful minds of the great and fruitful careers of men who, in the religious, political, social or industrial life of the city were 'Makers of the Metropolis of the Midlands'.

Parliament is represented by the Rt Hon Joseph Chamberlain, the Rt Hon Powell Williams, John Skirrow and Richard Chamberlain. The municipality has such representatives as Sir Thomas Martineau, Sir Henry Manton, Alderman Avery, three times chosen chief magistrate, Alderman Reading, Alderman Tonks and many others. In the large and distinguished company of ministers and devines whose names awaken fragrant memories, at the great Dr R W Dale, George Dawson, Charles Vince, W F Callaway, Henry Platten and many others who are all remembered for their conscientious and loyal devotion to Christ and the Church. Here also rest Samuel Timmins, the great Shakespearian scholar, Dr Langford, author and journalist, George Edmonds, solicitor and Clerk of the Peace, Harriet Martineau, authoress, W B Vince the distinguished contributor to the 'Birmingham Daily Post', Charles Reece Pemberton, actor and lecturer. There are also names of those well known in the medical world, Dr G A Craig, Dr Alfred Jukes, Dr John Melson, Dr John Drever, Dr J D Scurrah, Dr John Satchell, Dr John S Craig and others.

There is not space to deal adequately with names made famous as 'captains of industry', who did so much to build up Birmingham's pre-eminence as a manufacturing community, such as Joseph Tangye, engineer, John Player, Button manufacturer, Edward Moss Mitton, engineer, Joseph Gillott, pen manufacturer, John Barnsley, builder, Thomas Adams, timber merchant, Joseph More, medallist, Alfred Bird, noted for his original research in Chemistry, George Shaw, professor of chemistry and lecturer of science.

In this booklet I have attempted to being back memories of those to whom the present and future generations ought to feel deeply indebted in that they are the makers and builders of no mean city.

It would be a difficult task for me to give a complete biography of all the honoured dead. I have only attempted to place on record such material as shall justify the calling of this Cemetery

The Westminster Abbey of the Midlands

(Edward Henry Manning, Secretary, Registrar and Chaplain, The General Cemetery, Birmingham. 1925)

Its to Birmingham's disgrace what they have done to Key Hill Cemetery employing men to topple monuments that a grown man could not move
Vandalism on a grand scale defacing monuments erected for the Great Men of Birmingham.............All done slowly quietly and calculated like thieves in the night they do their rotten job to destroy the memories of the folk who built Birmingham. I have seen the damage what has been done by men from the council but if a youth kicks a gravestone over ..he is classed as a vandal.........
People will wake up when everything has been destroyed and wonder and ask "Why was it allowed to happen"
A small band of volunteers try to look after the cemetery as best as they can but they are fighting a losing battle ...when the council does the most damage...
If the workmen employed by the council have the right to topple monuments why have they not got the right to put them straight? I suppose at the end of the day it all comes down to ideals with every excuse in the book thrown at us.....Cost...Safety.....Ownership but none of it makes sense, its just excuse after excuse and would'nt it be great if the prisoners in open jails were transported out to the cemetries and told to tidy them up instead of watching TV all day....but then that would be against their human rights.....

Pardon me for my ignorance, but are not Warstone lane and Key Hill the same cemetaries? I lived in Hingeston St during the mid 60's and seem to recall some work being done there and a lorry or digger caved into the the Vaults below. If they're not one and the same where is Key Hill please? I used to take my children in the one off Icknield st ( which I thought was Key Hill) just to have a stroll around and pass the time of day and give the children some fresh air!

The main entrance to the Warstone Lane cemetery is in....Warstone Lane, though it does come down to Icknield Street. The Key Hill cemetery has its main entrance in Icknield Street, at the bottom of ....Key Hill. So, the larger cem is Warstone Lane with Pickford Street running at the side and the Key Hill cem is a few yards along Icknield Street, the other side of Pickford Street, nearer The Flat. I agree with what Cromwell said about the state of Key Hill cem. Incredible that the Council should be able to do what amounts to legalised vandalism, and get away with it. Health and Safety has gone mad, why can't they concentrate on making the place secure from (illegal) vandals and drug users - they seem to turn a blind eye to all the disused needles and detrius left behind - surely this is more of a health and safety issue! The wonderful people from The Pen Museum do what they can, within their bounds - but it's heartbreaking for them to see what the Council have done to the place. Paths not maintained, branches strewn all over and discarded rubbish and dog poo. Maybe we could try a petition?

Thanks Cromwell, i've got my bearing's now so it must have been Warstone lane where the lorry/digger went through the ground into the vaults below.
You know I found this website by being nosy on another website and I love it everyone is so friendly and no matter what you ask someone knows the answer!
Keep up the good work you guys :D

Here is a picture of the beautiful chappel at Key Hill looking through the gates in Icknield Street. Another victim of the late 50,s clearance:|

Key Hill Cemetery Postcard

I don't know the date of this post card but it is early as the chapel is on it and the tree's are quite small.

Key_Hill_Postcard.jpg

This is one of my very early sterio photo's of Key Hill Cemetery which was then known as The General Cemetery. I have enlarged it. I still can't believe they knocked down that magnificent chapel:|

View attachment 84402
Key_Hill_Cemetery_Photo_edited_1.jpg

View attachment 84402

Moma P in an ealier post I asked if John Bartlett may have been buried at Key Hill since he had some estate there. Today I visited the library and checked the microfiche though I hasten to ad didn't find anything probably because I didn't understand the order the burails had been recorded as. None theless as I was leaving I saw some index drawers for geneaology and saw the ones for Key Hill burials completed alphabetically. I discovered a John Bartlett but unfortunately the date was 1854 John Bartlett died October 1858. Could this be a written error on the index card? I didn't realise until I returned home.

Fergie, I am sorry but I really don't know. The date may be an error but its hard to say. Have you thought of looking for an obituary in a newspaper. If he owned property there is a good chance of an obituary and sometimes it states where the burial would be. Sometimes Key Hill was known as the General Cemetery or the Old Cemetery. Just an idea. You could send an email and ask if they could check the index well you never know. Sorry I couldn't help futher I wish the registers had been transcribed then it would be easy, oh well one day.

Charles Edge

This is the memorial to the Edge family in the catatcombs at Key Hill. Charles Edge was the brilliant Birmingham architect responable for the design of Key Hill Cemetery. He had a house built above the cemetery at the top of the sand cliff. Charles was summond in 1835 to repair weaknesses to the Town Hall he worked on it again in 1837 and 1850.

The Martineau Family.

The Martineau Family

Harriett Martineau, famous authoress she was an innovator in women’s rights. She wrote many books on politics, economy, history, travel etc she had many articles published in newspapers of the time. She was born in Norwich in 1802 and died in Ambleside on June 27th 1876 and was buried in the family grave.

Robert Martineau was born in Norwich he came to Birmingham and became as a member of the town council. He served in the office of mayor in 1846. He was also a town magistrate and bailiff. He died June 17th 1870 and was buried in the family grave.

Alderman Robert Francis Martineau was a member of the town council from 1874 to 1909. He also served many years as chairman of the Technical School committee. He was a member of the Midland Institute and he was secretary from 1883 to 1903. Robert was appointed by Sir J Mason as a trustee to Masons college, and subsequently on the foundation of the university, was named in the charter as a member of its council. He died on December 15th 1909 and was buried in the family grave.

The Inscription of the Martineau family Grave at Key Hill Cemetery

Elizabeth Martineau wife of the late Thomas Martineau born October 8th 1772 died August 26th 1848. Also her granddaughter Marie Martineau, daughter of Robert and Jane Martineau born August 27th1827 died February 29th 1864.
Robert Martineau August 19th 1798 died June 17th 1870. Also Jane Martineau his widow born June 6th 1793 died March 20th 1874. Also Harriet daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Martineau born June 12th 1802 died June 27th 1876. Susan Martineau daughter of Robert and Jane Martineau born January 29th 1826 died March 21st 1894. Also Robert Francis Martineau her brother born May 16th 1831 died December 15th 1909.

Grave number 790 Sec I

Sir Thomas Martineau, KT. was born in Bristol Road on November 4th 1828. He was mayor of Birmingham from 1884 to 1887. In 1887 Queen Victoria came to Birmingham to lay the foundation stone of the Victoria Law Courts. Mr Martineau received her and was subsequently called to Windsor to be knighted. He was instrumental in getting the Welsh Water Bill through Parliament and getting Birmingham made an Assizes town.
He died on July 28th 1893 and is buried in grave number 134 section K.

I visited Key Hill for the first time a couple of weeks ago and until reading some background on this site about it, had no idea of its history, beauty or contents. At the time I went I thought that although it was run down and neglected, it certainly had an elegance about it and can now understand why. Is there nothing we can do to get it looking more cared for? Is there a Friends of Key Hill cemetery or a conservation programme ongoing?

While I am on the subject, why are there so many mass graves - were they paupers/transfers or non-believers? Does anyone know?

Love this website. This is the second comment I have posted. Very helpful and
interesting replies from the first. Best wishes all.

Hello Yvonne, There is a Friends of Key Hill I am a member. They have achieved quite a lot in the short time they have been going. The paths have been re laid by the council, although our awful weather seems to have put paid to some of them. There are new benches and an information board. The big problem is money they have campaigned for funds from several sorces. I am not sure how far they have progressed lately as there have been a few committe problems. There was a web site but sadly the web designer passed away. There hasn't been another since this happened. The cemetery is grade 2 listed so any work has to be approved by the appropriate body. Key Hill suffered terribly in 2003/4 from the health and safety people so many headstones were taken down and tombs taken apart, this is one reason the cemetery looks so neglected. There have been some clean up days but sadly not many people gave their support. The council do what they can but without sufficient money not a lot can be done. The graves themselves can only be restored by family or with family permission. The people at the pen museum (all volunteers) visit the cemetery often and pick up rubbish and report any problems. There is usually an open day in September at which you will find a lot of information.
The public graves as they are called are simply people who could not afford a plot and were buried in large pits. This sounds terrible but had to be done for health reasons, especially if an epidemic broke out. Most ordinary working families could not afford a private grave. I hope this helps with your query Wendy.

This is the work of Health and Safety at Key Hill Cememtery. No one is going to reinstate these monuments why could they not have been repaired instead of destroyed!

We must not let this happen especially to our oldest cemeteries!:|

Henry Palethorpe

This is the memorial to Henry Palethorpe of the sausage fame. I like the pink edgeing I wonder if it was done on purpose!:D

Tomb dammage

Here is a perfect example of the problems of the upkeep of cemeteries. The wall is lined with tombs and the inscriptions are on the slabs. The ivy was cleared last year by one man a volunteer, when I took these photos. You can see how it has dammaged the inscriptions. When I visited last month with Pom and Cromwell the tombs were completley covered in ivy again. Not many people even know they are there.

hi
i went to key hill cemetary last year, i went because my mom was actually born on key hill, as you say i didnt feel very safe and i was with my husband, it is definately not a place to visit alone.
having said that it must have been lovely years ago
Lynn

Hi Lynn, I must say I woudn't visit alone but I have no problem when I am with someone else. I am pleased to say now the profile of the cemetery has been raised it has a lot more visitor's of the right kind. So more people will feel ok visiting. The local police are often seen riding through on bikes. I called in today to take a photo on the way home from Birmingham, my husband stayed in the car. I must admit I felt safe perhaps I am getting used to the place.

Here's a photo of a house on Key Hill around the 1880's

Key Hill

I have just been looking at your posts re Key Hill cemetry, I believe my Grt Grandfather is buried there, he died in 1837. Do the friends of Key Hill organise any walks round there? as I would love to go & see it but as you say not a place to go unless you are in a group.

Cheers
Bigland

Been a couple of times on my own, been once with the wife and been once with a couple of friends, no problem but like everywhere, take care..

I've been many times on my own and not seen a soul (pardon the pun!)
Went once with some members of this website and saw a couple of drug users behind some gravestones - but they went off and didn't bother us.
I would go again on my own and not worry, but only on a well lit day, it CAN be a bit spooky there. I think it's more a perception of threat than an actual threat.

Key Hill Open Day

Next Saturday 8th is the Open Day a good time to visit as there are a lot of people visiting and people who will answer questions answer. I am not sure exactly what will be there this year but you can usually get a cup of tea and a snack. They have a display of photo's and exhibits also there are toilets on site. They also do walks to show where the famous people are. The event is on from 10.am till 4.pm.

You could make a day of it and visit the Pen museum the Jewellery Quarter museum and the coffin works but you may have to book as its quite popular.

Hope to see some of you there tomorrow! I am going to pay a visit to Key Hill cemetery. Its Ok if you are on your own, there will be a lot of people about!

Key Hill

I will definately be there, plus husband has suddenly decided to come also!
See you there Bigland

Back