• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill Cemetery

Thats better, now everyone knows you really were there :) I must get some of those 'big green hands' for the next time we get the leaves up.
Polly :)

Yes Pollypops those leaf catchers were very useful.

Here's a photo especially for Stitcher!!:D:D:D

Key_Hill_Clear_up_day_2010__3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another memorial that has been recently uncovered and lifted is Harriett Martineau. The gravestone has been dammaged probably by tree roots. Her name can just be picked out where the break is. This work has been funded by the Martineau Society.

Harriett Martineau, famous authoress she was an innovator in women’s rights. She wrote many books on politics, economy, history, travel etc she had many articles published in newspapers of the time. She was born in Norwich in 1802 and died in Ambleside on June 27th 1876 and was buried in the family grave at Key Hill Cemetery .

Hiya Wendy. Bought a book the other day. "Haunted Birmingham" there's a good article in there about Warstone Lane Cemetery, and how the Mint next door building on some of the grave yard. Have you ever had the smell of Pear drops!! waft past your nose while working there.View attachment 45110

I was wondering whether some of Key Hill Cemetery was taken when the Station was built? I enjoy the photos, and my Grandad's sister appears on the "Fellows" public gravestone. She was Mary Ann Sharp aged 19, and died of Phithisis! ....TB!!
Thanks for the photos Wendy, I'm waiting for better weather to look for the rest of the Family!!!

Hello rosie there are some more photo's on the' Friends' website. The black and white photo's were taken when there was a railway above. Some of the graves were removed to build the Metro this was quite a difficult time. If you need any help give me a shout!

Reg I have not as yet worked in Warstone Lane Cemetery as my main interest is Key Hill Cemetery. I have heard of the Gray lady but have never seen her! No i have not smelt pear drops either!

Hello Wendy,
Thanks the information. It's a pity that so many cemeteries and churchyards have been disturbed like this. Apparently some of my relatives were moved to Warstone Lane from St. Thomas. I'm glad that Key hill is being rescued!!

Hi Having driven round KEY HILL for about an hour to day trying to find somewere to park We gave up, any one know which is the best place to find a parking pitch,
It was our intention to look round the general area while our sons wife was at an interview

If you go in the week it's more difficult as people who work in the area park on Key Hill. If the post in the gate is laid down drive into the cemetery and park just inside,this usually means Brian is working in the cemetery.Other than that drive to the bottom of Key Hill and there is a bit of waste ground to the left take care as there are some pot holes but it's fine to park there. If going to the Jewellery Quarter by car the main car park is on Vyse Street and not expensive. I am sorry you had a problem Baron.

Having telephoned Handsworth Cemetery to ask how I find out if my great grandfather was buried in either Warstone Lane or Key Hill Cemetery, they told me that they would find out this information and advise me free of charge for one enquiry, or £1 per person for more. I am waiting to hear from them as to whether my great grandfather, Robert French died in the Apr/May/Jun quarter of 1880 aged 40. He was the landlord of licensed premised at 110 Hingeston Street (possibly The Rose and Crown) at the time of his death, and I assume he would have been buried in the nearest cemetery to where he lived. His widow Sarah Ann French took over as landlord and carried on at least until 1883. From the threads I note that you can go to The Central Library to check the records, but although Birmingham born and bred, I left to live in North Devon some 12 years ago and wonder if I will still be allowed to look things up in the reference library, now I am no longer a resident of the city.

Hi NodgrgW, WE brummies are the friendliest in the world. Our Library would never refuse an outsider, epecially if you was one of us to begin with.
The Tourist Info office in Vyse St in the Jewellery Quarter has a disc with names, dates & graves for Key Hill, not Warstone Lane.
I don't have their No. off hand, but it should be easy to find. You could also email the Friends of Key Hill Chairman, see thew website www.fkwc.org as he has copies of the Cemetery records.

If you are in the area, like the Baron was, the entrance is ALWAYS open in Key Hill, opposite the back of the Royal mail sorting Office. The gates on Icknield st, are usually closed, but UNLOCKED. You can park in front of them, ansd either leave the car their, or open them and come inside.

There is a tour Sunday 14th in Warstone Lane 12-1, and in Key Hill 2-4, should anyone want to come along.

Brian

I shall be visiting Birmingham 28th - 31st March and will definitely visit the cemetaries. I hope to have the information I need from the library, and aim to take photographs. I will post them on the thread when they are done. Many thanks for your reply.

I wrote to Handsworth cemetery for information concerning my great grandfather, and have received the information this morning (2 weeks later).
My great grandfather, Robert French, was buried in a public/common grave at Warstone Lane Cemetery, section J Grave number 6. If anyone is visiting Warstone Lane, and can let me know if there is a memorial in place, I would be very grateful.

Just had a look at the plan of the cemetery - Section J is quite small. If you stand with your back to Icknield St, section J is at the top of the Cattacombs to the right.

I called in at Warstone Lane this afternoon and photographed the slabs on the graves in section J. I haven't looked at the photos yet, but if they are OK, I'll post them to https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk...ead.php?t=5395 later.

I found grave 6, but I couldn't spot Robert French on the list of names (one reason for photographing them all). There is no slab on grave 3

Moss what lovely pictures I don't think I have seen the one of Key Hill gates before. The other one is of the catacombs at Warstone Lane. I would love a full size copy of the Key Hill gates if poss. I will IM my email address.

I would like to congratulate Pauline Roberts on the launch yesterday in Birmingham of her project a History Book in pictures of Key Hill Cemetery for school children. She once said to me catch them young and they will understand and possibly learn something. I am sure with this book she is right! Well done all concerned.

Terry, Thanks for posting the newspaper article :thumbsup:.
I wonder if the book is only going to be available to B'Ham School children or if you can buy it?

There are 7,000 copies being distributed FREE to Birmingham Schools to encourage them to visit and learn about our their heritage.

There is to be an appeaL for donations to raise £1,500 for a second print run which would be for sale.

The book is superb, and will go like hotcakes if we can some more printed.

Hopefully Pauline will keep us up to date on her appeal.

Friends of Key Hill & Warstone Lane Cemeteries will be attending the

4th Birmingham Lives local History Fair on Sunday 13th June 2010
At Radission Blu Hotel
Beetham Tower
Holloway Circus
Birmingham

Time - 11am - 4pm

Car Park at Rear
2 minutes walk from New Street Station

See post- Events

Bo

Last edited:
There are 7,000 copies being distributed FREE to Birmingham Schools to encourage them to visit and learn about our their heritage.

There is to be an appeaL for donations to raise £1,500 for a second print run which would be for sale.

The book is superb, and will go like hotcakes if we can some more printed.

Hopefully Pauline will keep us up to date on her appeal.

Hi

I would like to purchase one of these books myself , do let us know if or when they are available to buy.

Bo

From this month's edition of English Heritage magazine, in an article about 2010 Open Days:
....meanwhile, if you're in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter and feel like a slight detour to the Key Hill and Warstone Lane Cemeteries, you may have to pinch yourself. No, you wont have gone back a couple of hundred years and you're not an extra in a scary movie. Just keep an eye on the horse-drawn hearse and admire the Victorian outfits of those lining the cemetery's paths. Then have a word with the man in charge of proceedings, the one wearing tails and a top hat. His name is Phil O'Dell and he's passionate about these two cemeteries that continue to provide a respite from the bustle of city life. 'This is a place which connects us to the past and gives young people an opportunity to learn about some of the famous people who are buried here' says Phil, a member of the Friends of Key Hill and Warstone Lane Cemeteries. And the most famous? Probably Joseph Chamberlain, arguably one of the greatest prime ministers we never had and father of Sir Neville Chamberlain, who did of course occupy 10 Downing Street in the years leading up to WW11. 'We had as many as 900 visitors at last year's event', says Dick Empson, chairman of Friends of Key Hill and Warstone Lane Cemeteries. 'Many of them came because they wanted to know more about their ancestors who were buried here. It's a wonderful weekend for all concerned'.
The article was accompanied by photographs of the hearse and Dick Empson (sorry Wendy, I don't have a scanner)!

Last edited:
Charlie, Thank you for posting that :) - I have really enjoyed reading it - what a lovely write up! What is this Magazine - where do you get it from? Is it like the National Trust one only available to members?

Back