• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill Cemetery Memorial Inscriptions

Suzanne, what a great result - you must be thrilled. I love it when people find their family graves at Key Hill - it makes me remember how I felt when I found mine there. It is a very peaceful, special place. Enjoy your visit and perhaps you could take some photos to post on the forum.
Polly :)

Hi everyone

Managed to get along to Key Hill today, despite the torrential rain:( Evenso my daughters and I managed to get some photographs of the graves of Joseph Downing & Caroline Downing (nee Rogers) and their family. The pictures are actually a little deceiving as to look at them you wouldn't think that it was pouring down - even the sun managed to shine through on them:) Two graves alongside each other, both intact as Wendy said:) A big thank you to those people who gave their time to transcribe the memorials and again thanks to Wendy for doing the lookups.

Suzanne

Suzzane, The headstones are lovely - you must be thrilled to find them in such good condition. Thank you for posting the photos so we could see them.
Everytime I go to Key Hill the sun shines through the trees - I like to think it is all part of the Key Hill magic.
Polly :)

Hello Sarah
I have found them on the indexes but sadly there is no memorial. It states there are four in the grave but I don't know the names of the other two people.
Mary Ann Louisa Kimberly d 1909 section R grave no 447
Thomas Kimberly d 1912 section R grave no 447
There is another Kimberley grave section R no 274 the name is slightly different with an extra 'e'.
In loving memory of Francis Kimberley born June 11th 1853 entered into rest August 18th 1907 "peace perfect peace" And his beloved wife Harriet who died December 28th 1928 aged 67 years. The headstone is in tact.

Thank you so much Wendy. Interestingly they should be spelt with the extra e so Kimberly is incorrect and Kimberley is the correct spelling. I'll have to look into who Francis is...

I think they may have had a couple of children that died, I wonder if they are in the grave with them?

Family history has it that Thomas Kimberley was a drunk who beat his wife and made his daughter cook bacon on a fork over the open fire till her hand was burnt. Apparently Mary Ann died when he pushed her and she hit her head on the settle, the coroner recorded accidental death.

Thanks again for being kind enough to look
Sarah

Thanks so much for checking Wendy
Since you so graciously mentioned that there are other Burley's would you mind looking for Richards children??
Benjamin Burley b 1824 died June Q 1853
Thomas Burley b 1828 died 1876?
Richard Burley b1835 died March Q 1889
Cheers Karro
Here are all the Burley's at Key Hill
Alfred Edward d 1931 K755
Alfred May? d1914 L215
Elenor d1926 K755
Harold d1898 S20
Maud May d1915 L215
Wilfred Charles 1920 L 232
I hope this is helpful

Hi everyone

Managed to get along to Key Hill today, despite the torrential rain:( Evenso my daughters and I managed to get some photographs of the graves of Joseph Downing & Caroline Downing (nee Rogers) and their family. The pictures are actually a little deceiving as to look at them you wouldn't think that it was pouring down - even the sun managed to shine through on them:) Two graves alongside each other, both intact as Wendy said:) A big thank you to those people who gave their time to transcribe the memorials and again thanks to Wendy for doing the lookups.

Suzanne

Susanne the photo's are lovely and the graves look in good condition even with all the curbs.
I am happy to help especially when there is such a good result!:)

Thank you so much Wendy. Interestingly they should be spelt with the extra e so Kimberly is incorrect and Kimberley is the correct spelling. I'll have to look into who Francis is...

I think they may have had a couple of children that died, I wonder if they are in the grave with them?

Family history has it that Thomas Kimberley was a drunk who beat his wife and made his daughter cook bacon on a fork over the open fire till her hand was burnt. Apparently Mary Ann died when he pushed her and she hit her head on the settle, the coroner recorded accidental death.

Thanks again for being kind enough to look
Sarah
Sarah that is so sad but unfortunately not unusual. There are other Kimberly/ Kimberley's in Key Hill but too many to list if you need any more look ups let me know.

Thanks again Wendy.
Is the book going to be available to purchase? I think it could be very helpful to my research
Sarah

I don't think so they are copyright to Dick Empson who did the project. There are copies at Central Library, The Pen Museum, Handsworth Cemetery, The Friends of Key Hill and Warstone Lane, and several other places. I am happy to do any look ups this is why we have a copy. Wendy:)

OK thanks Wendy, I have a lot of family that I think are in Key Hill and Handsworth Cemeterys.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind having a quick look for their sons...

Arthur Joseph Kimberley b 1868
William H Kimberley b 1870
Thomas Albert Kimberley b 1872

Thanks once again
Sarah

Hi Wendy

Would you please have a look for Sarah Maria Downing B1855 D1937.
She is the unmarried daughter of Joseph and Caroline Downing.

Many thanks
Suzanne

Hi Susanne
Sorry Sarah Maria Downing isn't at Key Hill Cemetery.

Hi Pom. Here are some Dugmore's the only one with a memorial Section O grave no 210
It states broken part of headstone; Sacred to the memory of Sarah the beloved wife of Fredrick Dugmore (remainder not accessible) Headstone face down and smashed. From the indexes I have Fredrick died 1890, Sarah 1865 and Sarah 1906.

There are a few more Dugmore's but non with a memorial.

Hi Wendy,

If you get the time could you have a look to see if Edwin Clayton is there he died on 27th May 1882 and also his wife Eliza Clayton nee Winkles who died on 10th April 1900 or any Clayton or Winkles death please I am running out of places where they are.
Thanks for this i really appreciate it.
kind regards Paula

Hello Paula, There are several Clayton and Winkles buried at Key Hill Cemetery but I could not find Edwin or Eliza. If you have any more christian names I will have another look. Wendy:)

Hi Wendy
Is there anything for a William Downing died 1929?

(Told you I would be back didn't I:) )

Thanks
Suzanne

Sorry nothing for William. I don't mind searching as it's quite easy. I have found children buried at Key Hill Cemetery and parents buried at Warstone Lane Cemetery so they could be there. Sadly there records haven't been transcribed as yet.

Hi Wendy

George Clayton died before 1911 but was on 1901 census his wife was Kate nee Adderley she died in 1922 I beleive.

William John Clayton born 1841 died sep 1841

James Orlando Winkles born 13th July 1828 died 1 Feb 1900

Wallace Winkles born 21 Oct 1837 died between sep to dec 1910

William Winkles born 9 March 1834 died 1885

John Winkles born c1800 died 1841 his wife was Eliza nee Smith.

Thanks again Wendy I have not put any more up as I need to try and find some death dates
I know a lot of the Clayton's used the christian name
Edwin Edward Herbet George if that is any help.

Kind regards Paula and thanks so much for looking for me.:)

Hi wendy,
Thanks again for the information and pics that you posted regarding the location of my uncles grave. I have since spoken to my father and shown him the photographs and despite him only being 14 at the time and 55 years ago he does recognise the location. As for what you told be about the vaults, my father then spoke to my grandmother who at 93 confirmed that he was buried in a vault, something that nobody else alive in the family were aware of. This all confirms all the information you provided. I shall be visiting very soon and just wanted to let you know how much i appreciate your help in finding my uncles resting place,
Regards,
Ian.

Hi Paula again sorry no luck. The only thing I did find were two Wallace Winkles one buried 1887 in section S 4 and the other in 1903 in section C grave no 300. I have sent these in case it's a family name. Good luck with your search maybe Warstone Lane or Witton Cemeteries.

Ian I am so pleased I could help. How lovely to have a grandmother of 93! I hope you enjoy your visit it's a lovely peaceful place. They have an Open Weekend on Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th of September. It is nice to visit on these days as there are people who can help you locate area's of the cemetery.

Hi Wendy,

Thanks Wendy much appreciated, they could be relatives as the Winkles were a massive family and their children named their children the same etc.

Thanks again Kind regards Paula

Section E grave number 63.

In affectionate remembrance of Joseph Peplow who died January 13th 1849 aged 49 years. Also Elizabeth Sutton wife of the above who died February 22nd 1849 aged 48 years. Notes Flat slab stone. Memorial buried on site. There is also an Edwin Timmins Peplow who also died in 1849 he is not on the memorial as far as I know.

Hi Wendy,
Would you be kind enough to look up Nellie Benfield death in 1966 Birmingham.
Thankyou
Alyson123

Back