• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill and Warstone Lane Cemeteries Open Weekend

• Thread starter Thread starter Wendy
  • Start date Start date
What a shame that you missed yourself Brian - but good that someone wanted a tour :)
I hope you get to see it soon - I have just watched it again :thumbsup: :)

Saw it this this morning, but am puzzled who did the voice over?
I surely don't sound like that! - Didn;t help having to take off my glasses, the reactalite lense were too dark for them!

All in all, reasonable item - hope it attracts a few tourists!

Forecast is lloking dryer each time I see the news!

We enjoyed our visit this morning in spite of the gusty winds. The rain kept away too. We even won a prize on Tomb-ola!!

The leaflet for the self-guided tour is very useful, lots of information on the back.

rosie.

hi rosie..so pleased you enjoyed the day and the weather was kind as well....hope there was a good turnout today...look forward to seeing any pics that were taken...:):)

lyn

Many thanks to those gallant few who turned out to come and see us in WL today.

We met Rosie (+ Mr Rosie), Charlie (+ Mr Charlie), Pollypops (+ Mr Pollypops), Beaujoleau (+ small bag for a change).
Apolgies if Anyone came who did not identify themselves to me!

David Fisher managed to come without bringing the rain (For once!) - hopefully he will post the pics on his blog as usual!

I never got back to the car for my camera - so took no pics at all - Hopefully Pollpops will post hers both here & on the Facebook page.

Cheers to Colin for douing his elf guided trail - never got to see it - but everyone else did.

Greatr work by Richard grave finding and Glynis on Membership/sales - Long day but worthwhile - We can now afford another headstone to be erected...

The BMSGH did sterling work on look ups - lots of genealogy talk going on. Mac Joseph and Keith Clenton kept up the Local History connection for everyone.

Also many thanks to Phil & colleague (+ Mrs Colleague) with the Co-op Hearse - they had space for one in the back - but there were no takers - !

Although blustery, weather stayed reasonable, and ably sustained by the very able Chloes Munchbox - (07903 186063 if you need a catering van with a big smile)

the day turned out quite after all!

Sorry we couldn't get to Aston - WE missed you - hope you all missed us!

well done bri to you and everyone else in being able to erect another headstone..:thumbsup: and yes we did miss you down at aston today...look forward to seeing any pics that were taken at warstone today...:) you did say we would swap them:D

lyn

Had a lovely day at Warstone Lane today :) lots of sunshine but quite breezy. Had a chat with Charlie & hubby & bojalu & friend - bojalu was a walking library as usual - she may of had her small bag with her but she had a folder tucked under her arm! Colin had made a trail of interesting graves around the cemetery and it was lovely to see people walking round reading the cards he had made. One lady said she had walked through the cemetery everyday for the last 2 years and thought it was brilliant to find out about the people buried there. A lot of people came looking for graves and with the help of BMSGH and the cemetery volunteers they were all found.
Here are some photos from the day.
1. Helping Colin put up the last few of the trail
2. A visitor - determined to find all the graves - talking to my hubby.
3 & 4. Graves on the trail

More graves on the trail :) if I had had time to walk round and read them I would be able to tell you who they are :rolleyes:

More Pictures:
Brian was so busy he had a working lunch.
The BMSGH team and Mac Joseph (Old Ladywood) were also kept busy with enquiries from visitors.

People were very happy when we located the graves of their relatives :)
1. A man and his wife came looking for the grave of his cousin who died aged 9 in the 1940's. The man was the same age as his cousin and was very upset as a child when his cousin became ill and died. We cleared and tidied the grave for them and now they know where it is they are going to return with some flowers.
2. Clearing and tidying a grave for another visitor - he took photos so that he will be able to find it the next time he visits.
3. Colin adds the finishing touches.

what great pics pol..i do think the work and help that is done over the year at KH and WL by the friends is just wonderful...when i was there 2 weeks ago help with the clean up i got talking to a lady who with the help of richard and brian found a rellies grave and she was busy cleaning it up and she is going to have the headstone repaired as it was smashed up...:( will be down there asap to tidy and plant out my rellies plot..

lyn

Thanks for posting the pictures Pol they are lovely. I am so sorry I could not be there. It's the first open day I have missed. I will be booking holiday dates next year!!

Do we know if the markers are staying? I didn't get chance to read most of them and would like to go back sometime this week and have a look.

Thanks Polly for the pics - My camera was in the car and I never got the chance to go and get it!

It is so rewarding matching people to relatives graves as you already know!

Colin collected his trail last night, but hopefully will retain them for future use, and hopefully photocopy them into a folder that can be put with the Archives and scrapbooks.

A long day for all - especially Pollypops & Hubbie who were a great great help

Brian

Brian - I know why you didn't have time to get your camera .... you were too busy signing autographs after being on TV!
It was a long day - but all the visitors enjoyed it which is the most important thing as it spreads the word about the Cemeteries. It was lovely to see families with children enjoying walking round the cemetery - this is how it would have been in the old days - people using the cemetery as somewhere to enjoy a walk. It is all thanks to the hours of work you, Colin, Richard and other volunteers put into the cemeteries that have made them safe and tidy places for the public to enjoy.

I will always be grateful to you all for the help you gave me at the 2009 open day when I arrived looking for my own family graves. Being able to help people do the same yesterday was very rewarding. :):)

Pol: completely agree with you about all the work Brian, Colin and Richard put in to make these cemeteries once again a tidy, peaceful and safe haven for people to stroll through and families find their loved ones graves. I can never express my admiration too much.
Thanks to you also, for helping me on Saturday and for keeping Don company while I was busy with "grave" matters! Strangely enough, he quite enjoyed it :rolleyes:.:)

Pol:.......
Thanks to you also, for helping me on Saturday and for keeping Don company while I was busy with "grave" matters! Strangely enough, he quite enjoyed it :rolleyes:.:)

I enjoyed helping you Charlie! :)
As for Don - if he enjoys being talked to non stop and not being able to get a word in edgeways then you have him really well trained :D:D

same here pol..brian took the time to look up the records for me at handsworth and was able to confirm that a rellie we knew existed but had not been able to find for ages was buried at key hill...

thanks again bri:)

Just got back from the monthly guided tours with Richard - over a dozen for each cemetery. Some had been yesterday and came back for the tour!
One woman who cam last mionth, and whose grave I helped her find in KH, came on the WL tour this time, and than went to KH and planted up 3 graves - hers and her neighbours - and left me 3 trays of spare plants - so i'll do her neighbours, neighhbours tomorrow!

David Lewis - met us at the History fair - been looking for 3 years for a rellie - opened our KH books and found him instantly! - probed the next day - hit stone, submitted paperwork - he & his wife came and helped uncover it - instantly agreed to fund it;s restoration which happened within weeks - came and tidied up several graves in KH, popped into WL clean up - came along on Open day with his cousin - opened our photo album - and instantly found his last missing Lewis staring at him from the top of one the the 3 relocated Section S graves in Key Hill!

Photographed them today for him whilst on tour - He's got the luck of Pol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took almost as much dosh as yesterday - another headstone funded !

Thanat the end, a chap pointed out his toppled grandad and asked if we could arrange the re-erection! - Result!

Brilliant day then Brian - for you and the people you helped!
I should be so lucky.......:cry:

so pleased you have had such another good day bri...you really must get a lot of satisfaction helping so many people find their lost rellies...i do admire what you and the rest of the team do...:)

Wow what a fantastic result! You have all worked so hard and it seems to be paying off now. Congratulations to all of you....still gutted I coudn't be there!

Wow Brian, you have had a good day at the cemeteries - well done!:thumbsup:

I was so pleased that David found his relative's name in the photo album yesterday - it really was incredible how it happened - I think you are right Brian he has my luck with the cemeteries - it's that Key Hill magic again! :)

What makes it even better is that David is such a lovely man and he has already given a lot of help in the cemeteries.:):)

View attachment 70967 View attachment 70968

Section S today, overlaid with surplus soil from the adjacent Metro - Bodies remain, memorials dumped bar the 3 above. Nothing to indicate it is a grave area. Right hand brick edge of path visible.

Section S in the 1900's - on left of path, adjacent Railway. S15/16 headstone visible with S18/19 just visible to rear. The majority of memorials were flat slabs probably munched up by buiklders caterpiller tracks and buried under the workings.
Note glass dome with flowers - and other floral displays. Although most Public burials are not recorded on the headstones - they were certainly reemebered at the time with floral tributes!

This is I think, one of the saddest Now & than photo's, especially considering the monies spent on the Metro system to violate this area.

I remember seeing some glass domes in a Welsh Churchyard in about 1966. I think they might have been wax flowers?

Grandad's sister Mary Ann Sharp died 1899 of TB aged 19. She's on 17S in your post #57. (I found her a while ago thanks to a picture Wendy posted). So this is the region she was buried... Thank you.

rosie.

how sad is that bri...it looked lovely in your then pic and you are quite right.... looking at it now who would ever know that that area is where folk are buried..have the council no heart at all..

lyn

Back