• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

JOSEPH TURNER and MARY CANE or CARL...

I don't think we found 18 birth reg. Those children living were reg mmn Carl. We need to find out Mary's Father's name to see if any of the people found might be right. Also look at witnesses on marriage cert.
right jan so agreed that the marriage cert is important to see or else it looks like research could comes to a stand still

lyn

There were 18 birth registrations of Turner/Carl.

I think the Cahill/Carl connection is highly likely but it does need proving.

John (& his family), the son of Richard & Mary, Mary Turner's possible brother is listed with a different name every census...

1861 Casell, 1871 Cahill, 1891 Carl, 1901 Call, 1911 Carl & Cahill, 1921 Calvie. Some maybe be down to accent and some to transcription error.

An example of Carl/Cahill in close proximity happens with John's son Richard.

On the 1911 census (recorded by someone in the household?) he is listed as Cahill, with his mother & sister but in 1914 when he marries & 1916 when he is killed in WWI he is listed as Carl.

Last edited:
Probably listed as Casell in 1861 with another daughter, Ellen b1854.

Richard Cahill married Mary McKernes in 1852 and Ellen's birth is reg. 1854 as Carrall with mmn as McCarns.

Lots of name variations, can't see the other births.
I think Ann is reg as Cale mmn McKearns

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I've been looking at all the possible siblings after they married hoping to see a niece or a nephew in one of their households to tie them together but no luck.

In the Cahill/Carl vein I did find that John had a son - also John - with birth reg. as Cahill and death reg. as Carl just 3 years later.

Also that Catherine appears to have married twice, the second time also listed as Carl not her (1st) married name.

Back