• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jordan family

AmericanBrummie

proper brummie kid
Hello,

I'm researching the Jordan family who lived in Tanter Street, (later known as Lawrence Street, which now is Aston University), mainly George Jordan born in 1842, who lived with his uncle Dennis Jordan and Dennis' wife Alice and their son Richard Jordan. I believe the family is actually from Ireland but have no info on when or why they came to Brum. Both Dennis & George were shoemakers.

Any info from fellow researchers would be appreciated! :)

Re: Researching the Jordan family

There were two, possibly three other Jordan shoemakers listed in directories about that time, Isaac and (possibly two) Thomas. Up to 1873 George seems to be listed only in 1868. In 1862 Alice is listed as a shoemaker at 2 Tanter st.
I’ve only gone as far as 1873
1845 Jordan Thomas, bootmaker & leather seller, 45 Pershore st
1848-55 Jordan Thomas, shoemaker, 45, Pershore st
1855-72 Jordan Thos., shoemaker, 100, Coleshill st
1873 JordanThomas, boot and shoe manufacturer, 100 Coleshill St & 67 Sherlock St
1845-52 Jordan Isaac, shoemaker, 5 Balloon st
1855 Jordan Isaac, shoemaker, 208, Bridge st W
1858-62 Jordan Isaac, shoemaker 40 Holt st
1862 Jordan Alice shoemaker, 2 Tanter St
1868 Jordan George 20 Granville St

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that. Yes, Alice @ 2 Tanter St was his aunt. Perhaps the George at 20 Granville was also the one I am looking for.

i wonder if these are anything to do with your family (1851 census in kirby warwickshire).

william jordan 72 shoemaker b kirby, warwickshire
ruth jordan 72 b. lutterworth, leic
ruth jordan daughter 30 b. pailton warwickshire
george jordan grandson 11 b. pailton warwickshire
mary jordan granddaughter 3 b. pailton
william jordan grandson 3 mths. b. pailton

Hi there - thanks for that lead. I have put in to the B'ham Archives for a birth certificate & hope to narrow it down a little. The Pailton family is a good possibility.

Back