• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John Thomas Stoke 1887

parabellum

knowlegable brummie
Ok i'm as stuck as a stuck person could be. Been trying to find my great grandfather John Thomas Stokes. I found out by contacting the Royal atrillery that he was in the royal artillers.(We have a photo of him in his uniform which we sent off to them) I've looked threw NA and Ancestry to try and find his papers but i am uable to find a medal card nore his army papers.

If anyone has the time could they recheck to see if i have a missed him or it is that the papers got burned in the blitz. thanks:D

Name: John Thomas Stokes
Year of Birth - est 1887
Place of Birth - Smethwick, birmingham
Time in the army - From what we know 1914-1920
Rank in army - Sargeant, the photo we have he has three chevrons with a gun above and a Royal Artillery cap badge on his hat. (All confirmed by the royal artillery and south staffordshire museums)
Wife - Emma E Barnett
Parents - Thomas Stokes, Sarah Ann Hadley
We also know he went aboard. On the army photo(which was taken 1917/18) he has three small overseas service chevrons on this right arm. I've also posted the photo below just incase something is missed.
View attachment 69998

If he stayed in the army after about 1920 and stayed in the reserve maybe his papers are still with the MOD. It will cost you a bit to find out though.

(my wife's grandfather went through WW1 but then got called up in 1939 and was released after Dunkirk so his papers are with the MOD)

how come it would still be at the MOD? Is there a time span, like the census's where they are not allowed to publish the information to the National Archives?

There is a medal index card to a S/Sjt 87083 John T Stokes, Royal Garrison Artillery.

I've checked his number and it was from a batch issued to men conscripted* to the RGA in Birmingham on 27 May 1916.
*and possibly to Derby Scheme volunteer recruits who happened to be being called up at the same time.

There's no service record for him, sadly.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thank you everyone. Its a shame that there is no record for him. From what im guessing that ist he right card. Im just looking the web to see if i can get more information for him.

Thanks again for everyones help.

There is an entry in The National Roll of The Great War 1914-1918 Section Vl Birmingham for a J T Stokes RGA. His details do not quite match those in your post as it shows him as a Gunner enlisting in November 1916. Lived at 15 Court,4 House, Great Barr Street,Birmingham.

Tony

From the records i know John was born, lived and died in smethwick. From the records all children(including children after the war) where born in smethwick. So that might of been a different john or they jumped address in the war. It could of been him at the start of the war but we have a photo to show he was a sergent of some type.(Dont know if the photo was at the start of the end of the war) I will go and have a look to see if i can find the army papers of this jt stokes which u talk about and see if they have a next of kin on.

Back