• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John (Jean) Antoine from privateer to dancing master.

Stokkie

master brummie
I hit a brick wall.

Jean Antoine was born in France before 1780. He was my 2nd great grandfather. Oct 1798 Portsmouth Hampshire. There is a record of a Jean Antoine being held as a prisoner of war in Portsmouth. He was captured in 1797 on board a French privateer called 'Le Cerf Volant’ (Kite). This would have been part of the French Revolutionary War. It is suggested that he escaped and called himself John.

The Napoleonic Wars run 1803-1815.

John Antoine married Mary Dennick in All Saints Church, Evesham 24 Dec 1808. He’s 28 while she’s 16. Their marriage is recorded in Overbury Parish Register. In 1813 they have a child Sarah. (My great grandmother.)

On 3rd March 1814 Sarah is baptised at All Saints. John Antoine gives his occupation as dancing master. Jean probably died before July 1823 as Mary remarries. I can’t find a death record for John or Jean Antoine. Could he have died in France?

France does not permit DNA analysis and I don’t know the first name of his father. There are lots of French records of Jean Antoine, but which one might he be?

Any advice welcome.

May be of interest…
February 1811, Saunders Newsletter and Official list of British vessels captured by French.

IMG_1829.jpeg

A John Antoine with spouse Mary baptised Sophia Antoine in Jamaica All Parishes 1847. According to Ancestry but there's no original document in the collection. Looks to be microfilm.

John Antoine seems to be quite a common name in Jamaica. Several marriages around 1838 of a JA to Mary (various surnames) so difficult to tell

A John Antoine with spouse Mary baptised Sophia Antoine in Jamaica All Parishes 1847. According to Ancestry but there's no original document in the collection. Looks to be microfilm.
Occupation labourer.
1723120488490.png

Thank you Janice. My JA married Mary Dennick in Evesham in 1808.
Derek
Yes I have seen the record.
It was just your reference to that baptism. Unlikely to be any connection I would think.
Annoyingly it doesn't give Mary Antoine's marriage status on the second marriage to John Corbet in 1823.

Yes I have seen the record.
It was just your reference to that baptism. Unlikely to be any connection I would think.
Annoyingly it doesn't give Mary Antoine's marriage status on the second marriage to John Corbet in 1823.
Thank you Janice. I appreciate your comment, I'd thought to discount it, but I have little experience of genealogy having taken it up in the last two years. It is so easy to jump to assumptions.
Derek

Where did you get the info in the op - age etc - from?
Good question. A family member, but there is a supporting document which is the page from the Portsmouth custody book. JA is the last entry on the page. I hope it can be read. There is a record of a Jean Antoine being held as a prisoner of war in Portsmouth. He was captured in 1797 whilst on board a French privateer called 'Le Cerf Volante'. This would have been part of the French Revolutionary War. He escaped on 21st Sept 1801.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 21.01.59.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 21.01.59.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 4
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
The custody record I posted is in the Prisoners of War collection from National Archives available in Find my Past. This Jean Antoine was 2nd Capitaine of the lugger, so an officer, but not the commander of the privateer.

The marriage between John and Mary is by licence. He signs the register, she makes her mark (as she does on her second marriage). I guess dancing master is a plausible occupation for a French ship's officer. Odd that as an escaped prisoner he is able to move about the country, if it is the right man he must have had decent English. I've discovered that Cerf Volant can mean flying stag besides kite so a good name for a fast ship.

Thanks to everyone who has looked at this.

Back