• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jewish burails

ADELE

master brummie
Hi any one be able to tell me where I would find out about Jewish burials between 1920 and 1950. I guess it would be in Birmingham, the family lived in Aston.
Harry hunt b 1870 wasnt born into the Jewish faith so could I find out when he converted.
Thanks Adele
:)

Adele there is a Jewish cemetery attached to Witton Cemetery. I would get in touch with them. All the best. Jean.

There are two separate Jewish cemeteries at Witton, one across the road from the other. The "higher" one is post 1938, the "lower" is pre.
Our family visited recently and they are very well kept and the grounds staff extremely helpful.
The immaculate post 1938 register can be found in the building on the right, after you enter via the main gate.
There is no publicly accessible register for pre-1938, but you can send a query to Bernard Gingold, see https://www.singershill.com/contactus.html for details
#;o)

There used to be a Jewish cemetory at Five Ways in the triangle formed by Bath Row, Islington Row and the railway. I don't know when that went out of use but I understand that bodies there were disintered and moved to Witton. The gate is now locked but the last time I walked through there, there were still tomb stones.

Back