• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jesse Nash 28 July 1824 – 1908

Jason Ellis

master brummie
Does anybody have any information on Jesse Nash 28 July 1824 – 1908. On the 1851 census he ran the town mill in Shipston on Stour. But on the 1861 census he was "Miller and Wesleyan local preacher" at 81 Henry Street, Duddeston. I have looked at 81 Henry Street on a map on this forum and it dosn't look like the right size or shape for a mill, but perhaps it was just his residence and not his place of work.
Does anybody have a photograph of 81 Henry Street, Duddeston, even if it's from a later period?

Any information on either Jesse and his family or the building would be gratfully received.

No 81 Henry St is not listed at all in the 1862 or 1867 directories. therefore it is extremely unlikely it was a mill. Any person listed as a miller would likely have been the owner of the mill, who very likely might not have been the actual miller. In the 1850 PO directory James Hands is listed as the miller in Shipston on Stour

Can’t locate Jesse on the 1851 Census. On the 1861 census he is referred to as miller, maybe employed using a milling machine ?

See a Jesse in 1851 census in Birmingham as a visitor. In 1841 there is a Josias Nash in Shipton on Stour age 13.

i wonder where jesse did his preaching....st james sunday school was on the corner of henry st and francis st and i do have a photo of that

lyn

Below is a map from late 1880s showing where no 81 Henry st was around 1861. The numbering changed between 1884 and 1888 an d/I cannot be certain of exactly which building was no 81, but it was one of the three marked in red.

map from 1880s showing position  no 81 Henry st c1861.jpg

Back