• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jazz Clubs

Charlie

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
During my (mis-spent?) youth in the late fifties/early sixties, I used to go to quite a few jazz clubs. Tops was, of course, the Midland Jazz Club in Deritend (before it moved to Aston). Second City Jazzmen were usually there and they had top visiting bands: Kenny Ball, Chris Barber etc. Then there was the Piccadilly Jazz Club in the Piccadilly Arcade and also a good club in the pub at the end of Steelhouse Lane - I think it's called the Sack of Potatoes now. Great times, great bands, great music. Lots of beer and cider and good friends.

We used to go to the Barton's Arms on Saturday nights in the 50's, held in an upstairs room. I haven't been in there since, it's not the easiest place for parking.

We used to go to the Crown in Digbeth to see the Eagle Jazz band, who are still going strong today, I seem to remember Mike once telling me that one of his relatives was a member of the band

Hi Charlie, it looks as though you and I went to the same places in the late 50's and early 60's!! I also used to go to the Midland Jazz Club in Digbeth and still have my membership card dated 1958. It was all trad jazz there.

I also used to go to the Golden Cross pub in Aston where there was Jazz Studio 1 (modern jazz) and on another night they had Cha Cha at The Americana, held in the same room above the pub. I think we also went to the Swan at Yardley.

I also have a membership card for Ronnie Scott's Club dated 1961, but can't remember where this was in those days - does anyone know?

Judy

My husband's cousin (Tony Hobson) used to play with the Eagle Jazz Band. Sadly, he died a while ago. I believe it's called The Millenium Eagle Jazz Band now, with a new lineup.
The only Ronnie Scotts I remember was the one in Frith Street Soho, think they only (comparatively) recently opened and closed the one in Brum.
The Central Jazz Club - ah yes, that was the one in The Kind Edward Pub that I was trying to think of.
George Huxley still plays at various venues - he must be 103 now if he's a day, and probably still plays a mean clarinete.
The Opposite Lock used to be great for Jazz as well, when Martin whatsisname ran it.

Ronnie Scotts

My membership card dated 1961 is for Ronnie Scott's Club (Midlands Section). I was living in Quinton at the time, and I guess the Jazz Club might have been held in a pub in Birmingham somewhere - just wish I could remember where it was. Judy

Further to my earlier post (to which I had no replies), I have now answered my own question as I recently found the following 1962 newspaper advert, so guess the Ronnie Scotts Club in the early 60's was at the Mermaid on Stratford Road :)

Last edited:
I used to go there as well Judy (we really DID follow each other around didn't we?) I remember seeing Joe Harriott (and Tubby Hayes) there - but didn't realise it was Ronnie Scotts, sorry.

Charlie - it's amazing the number of times we seem to have been in the same places. Probably knew each other by sight in those days. Certainly we both only went to the 'coolest' places :coolcheesy:

Hi All
I remember the jazz clubs well in the early sixties all the one mentioned plus the Salutation and a very dark place "the Grotto" in a cellar under a cafe opposite the silver blades modern jazz and supposed to be black only you entered through the cafe and into the yard and down a trap door the cellar was doe out as a cave and had some of the best modern jazz around cider rum and weed open sat afternoons only between 2 and 6 brillint times.
Also the Chapel jazz and folk club Very early Spencer Davies and a drummer Cyril Davis Great days and great times
Colin

HI GUYS
Jazz is still alive and thriving , it,s not completely dead yet
its still swinging around ;
history repeats its self especialy the music scene
the young ones will eventualy latch on and it will be big bands again ,
there is a slight swing towards them now
jazz will never die
best wishes astonian ;;;;

OH how I missed out on those clubs, I love Traditional Jazz and seem to remember a jazz club in a hut I guess was somewhere around St Martin's church area and I think the Stone Cross ? somewhere around Coleshill Street. Chris Barber " It's Tight Like That " amongst other favourites that I remember. ( have to go and look for it on the internet )
CHARLIE, I wondered if you meant " The Sack Of Potatoes " pub on Gosta Green ? still there today.

yes they played there and thats when the dead beatnicks took over
where they shared a pint of scrumpy and abit of ganghi all night all around the tables i remember when they first
built it before that they was flooding the tbes in the old scrumpy house the grey hound way back in the fiftys
when it was a stable door and a back yard with afew tables they sat there all night
with one pint and a smoke when they seen the cosy chairs and stools with warth they vaccated down there
they killed it off at the sack and the greyhound i do not know what the new building was like
because we used else where
best wishes astonian ;;

Nice bit of reading astonian.
Just had a chat with Alf, if you read this Alf put Utube on for me Chris Barber " Its Tight Like That" and also Benny Goodman's " Memories Of You" . I went to see " The Benny Goodman Story " how much I enjoyed it.

Don't forget the Midland Institute used to do Trad nights in the early 60'2, plus I think it was called the Metro near Snow Hill underneath one of the Arches? Where's my duffle coat and University Scarf......brilliant memories

I met my husband at The Midland Jazz Club @ Digbeth Institute (still together, #sigh#) Remember the old "beatnik jive", much flapping of arms and hopping about? Gervan, I think the pub in Gosta Green was the King Edward, but maybe they renamed it?

quite right charlie
it was the king edward and had a change over of the name
can you recall what it was called , was not the castle ?.or was it after that
what about old acka bilk humprey littleton and the great george mellie
what a performer best wishes astonian ;;

I used to go to a Jazz club in Edward St. and I think that pub was also the King Edward I know it was known as the Capri Club in an upstairs room. Basil Wainright (a.k.a. the guy who designed a car that ran on water) and his All Stars, used to be a good gig as very often they got some names to guest.

hello all, there used to be a modern jazz club in Vicaridge rd Kings Heath. i think the name of the pub was The Red Lion, i had a try at playing jazz but i could never get the feel for modern jazz. i have always prefered listening to trad, Cris Barber ,Acer Bilk etc.

shardeen

I met my wife for the first time in around 1959 at the Eagle Jazz Club, Resavoir Road, Erdington. I saw her twirling around in her skirts and pettycoats, showing her knickers. I thought I'll have a bit of that. I did, a smack around the earole, on our first date. Three years later we were married and still are to this day, 50 years next March. 2012. "And it don't seem a day too much".

Hi Bikeral:
Where was the Eagle Jazz Club in Reservoir Road? The Queen's Head comes to mind.

Hi Bikeral:
Where was the Eagle Jazz Club in Reservoir Road? The Queen's Head comes to mind.
Could well be Jennyann, my memory doesn't quite stretch to that detail. My memory is still fixed on those whirling skirts and lovely legs.Lol.

Thanks Mike...Perhaps the Eagle Jazz Band played at the Queen's Head in Erdington sometimes.

Back