• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jane TOLL nee Exall, Four Oaks

Bootneck

proper brummie kid
Hi, I've had a desperate e.mail from my sister who lives in California. She is feeling guilty about her ex teacher and would love to write to her. The best thing I can do is to copy her mail -

A teacher of mine at Selly Park School, kept in touch with me way back before we were married. She sent me 2 Lovely hand embroidered tray cloths for a wedding present, and I am ashamed to say that I didn't write to thank her. This has been on my mind for 52 years and I have tried to find out if she is still alive before I write. I have hit a brick wall looking through public records, but I wondered if somehow you could check. I have moved the last letter I received from her, to every place we have lived and it is in front of me now. Her name is Jane Toll, she was Miss Exall to me, and her address was .. 168 Grange Lane, Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield. She sent me a photo of a son who would be in his 50's now. As you can imagine, it would be horrible for me to write her a letter now, and find out she is no longer alive.

Can anyone please help ?

It seems she might have passed away. According to 192.com in 2002 she was living with her husband in Hockley, Essex. The next year they have listed is 2012-13 and only her husband is listed.

There's no death listed for her but the death records only go up to 2007 so if she died after that it won't be listed.

Obviously I'm only surmising.

Thank you so much for your speedy reply. Am I right in thinking that the lady to whom you refer is A Jane Toll and not nessarilly THE Jane TOLL the teacher from Four Oaks ?
Thanks again.

You could contact the school to see if they know if she is alive or not. If she is alive they might pass on your details to her.

Records show she probably had 2 children Michael (1963) and Hilary Jane (1967) - perhaps a search for them might help.

Jance

I can't be 100% certain with information available but I'm fairly confident.

Jane C Exall marriage to Michael Toll registered 1957 Wellington (Shropshire) and had the 2 children (births both registered in Sutton Coldfield) found by Janice (the elder is listed as Christopher M). The names are uncommon enough to suggest they are the right people.

There are marriages for both a Christopher M Toll and a Hilary J Toll listed in Essex.

Brilliant. Thank you so much. The information is winging it's way to the Wild West as I type.

Back