• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jackson George , Birmingham gunmaker

R

Rod Jackson

Can you help with info on George Jackson, born around 1837, but possibly not in Birmingham. He was a gunmaker who had a shop, apparently called "Jackson Bros.", at 7 Bath Street, Birmingham. Both he and his brother, Tom, apparently worked for Westley Richards & Co. prior to having their own shop. George emigrated to America around 1874 and worked for Thomas Edison, off and on, for a few years. He apparently lived out the last fifteen years of his life working in Russia, passing away around 1911. He left a wife, Emma (White), and five children, Nellie, George, Lewie, Littia, and Emily, in England, apparently at Nechells Park Road, Birmingham. Some of his children eventually emigrated to the U.S.
Thank you,
Rod Jackson

Re: George Jackson, Birmingham gunmaker

1871 census
Jackson George 34 Head Machinist & Tool Maker born Birmingham, Warwickshire
Jackson Emma 34 Wife born Stratford On Avon, Warwickshire Jackson William J 14 Son Scholar born Birmingham, Warwickshire
Jackson Sarah E 11 Daughter Scholar born Birmingham, Warwickshire
Jackson Emily 9 Daughter Scholar born Enfield, Middlesex
Jackson Lettitia 7 Daughter Scholar born Birmingham, Warwickshire
Jackson George 5 Son Scholar born
Birmingham, Warwickshire
All living 89 Ravenhurst Street, Aston
1861 census sees young William J Jackson staying with Emma's parents!
White Henry 50 Head Stone born Mason Grapton, Herefordshire
White Hannah 48 Wife born Alderminster, Worcestershire
White Walter 19 Son Stone Mason born Stratford On Avon
White Charles 17 Son Jeweller born Stratford On Avon,
White Edward 14 Son Jeweller born Birmingham,
White John 11 Son Jeweller born Stratford On Avon,
White Mary 5 Daur Scholar born Birmingham,
Jackson William J 4 Grand Son Scholar born Birmingham, -
All living 26 Essington Street, Birmingham, Warwickshire​

1861 census
Jackson George 25 Head Engineer & Machinist born Birmingham, Warwickshire
Jackson Emma 24 Wife born Stratford Melborn, Warwickshire
Jackson Sarah Ellen 1 Daughter born Birmingham, Warwickshire
All living 4 Bellerbue Cottages, Enfield, Middlesex

Possibly George and Thomas in 1841 census.Yes and No refer to born in county or not.
Jackson Joseph 35 - Tool Maker Yes
Jackson Sarah 30 - No
Jackson John 10 - No
Jackson James 3 - Yes
Jackson Josiah 8 - No
Jackson Thomas 6 - Yes
Jackson George 5 - Yes
All living Constitution Hill, Birmingham St. George,

1881 census shows Emma with children
Jackson Emma 44 Head (married) born Stratford On Avon, Warwickshire
Jackson Sarah 21 Daughter Tailoress born Birmingham,
Jackson Emily 19 Daughter Lacquerer born Enfield, Middlesex
Jackson Lillian 17 Daughter Tailoress born Birmingham, (name Lettitia in 1871)
Jackson George 15 Son Machinist born Birmingham,
Jackson Mary L 8 Daughter Scholar born Birmingham,
All living 55 Unett Street, Birmingham,

Thanks so much, Lady Linda!
In one go, you've provided more information on great-great grandpa George than all of his surviving letters and family stories past down the generations.
Now I need to figure out where to go from here!
I just wish my Dad was still around to hear about this. He'd be happy to know that his children and grand children will know more of the family history than he was able to provide.
Thanks again.
I will post an inquiry at the shops forum and, hopefully, there will be some information regarding the business that George and Thomas had at 7 Bath Street, Birmingham.
Best regards,
Rod Jackson

Hi Rod
George couldn’t have had the shop (at least in his name) for very long. The directories give the following listings for 7 Bath St (going back ):
1878 – not listed
1873, 1876 Parkes S. & Sons, gilt toy makers
and Hawkesford Henry, gun stocker
1868,1862 Parkes S. & Sons, gilt toy makers
and Newbrook, Samuel Ashmore gun case maker
1858Parkes S. and Son, watch key and gilt toy mnfrs,

Out of interest, in case they were relatives, the following are found in Birmingham directories specifically listed in the gun trade.
1829 and 1833 Jackson William, gun and pistol maker, no 8, Old John-st.
1839 ,1841,1845, 1849 Jackson William, gun manufacturer, 14, Coleshill street
1845-1880 Jackson John, gunmnaker & factor, 49 Ellis st
1858 Jackson Joseph, gunmaker, ct 3, Whittall st; home, Harborne
1872- 1878 Jackson Joseph, gunsmith, 1 Court, Gough street
1872- 1878 Jackson Joseph, gun break-off fitter, 6 Court, Bath street
1855,1858Jackson James, gun implement forger, 24½.;h, 40, New Summer st
1868 Jackson James, gun implement maker, back of 64 woodcock st
1862 Jackson john gun engraver, miller st
1862 Jackson Charles, gun stocker, 17 smith st ,st georges
1872 Jackson Thomas, gun screwer, 19½ Princip street
1873 Jackson Thomas, gun finisher, back 19 Princip st
Note where one in red is. This doesn’t necessarily mean anything for, as can be seen from the map (no 7 is either both buildings in red or one of them, court 6 in blue) they aren’t next door.
(Both Joseph Jacksons have gone by 1880)
Haven’t gone later than 1880
Incidently the map is from two sheets, which i think were done at slightly different dates (despite what is written on them), thus giving a rather inceonsistent join in places
mike

no_7_and_court_6_Bath_StA.jpg

Hi Mike,
This Birmingham History forum is a wonderful thing! You guys are my heros! Thank you for responding so quickly and for providing all the additional gun trade info.

I realize, as you indicate, that we can't assume that the individuals named in your directories were relatives of George, however it is tempting considering the several matching names, the dates, and the close geographic proximity of their business addresses.

Mike, just to confirm, I see from the current (Google) map of Birmingham that there is a Bath Street and a Bath Row. The map that you provided is obviously Bath Street, intersecting with Shadwell, as it does today. You say near the beginning of your reply, "the directories give the following listings for 7 Bath row". Do your directories distinguish between Bath Row and Bath Street? I ask because George Jackson's business card does give "7 Bath Street" as the address.

Thanks again for all your help, and best regards,
Rod Jackson

I do apologise Rod. That was a missprint on my part, which I have now corrected on the original post. It should have read Bath St (No 7 Bath Row isn't actually listed in many of the directories mentioned). You will realise from your perusal of Google that, as with much of Birmingham, it is very different now than then.
With regard to the other Jacksons i do understand that, as with many trades then, sons and relatives did often enter similar trades. The gun trade in Birmingham did tend to concentrate in two main areas. The same happened with the jewekkery trade, which concentarted in the jewellery quarter. this was partley for easy communication, especially as in both industries an early form of division of labour occurred, whereby one person or small group concentrated on one process and then passed the goods on to another group or person who carried out the next stage. Obviously it was better to have the different trades nearby.
Mike

Lady linda....my ancestors were all gunmakers in bham , can you check the names George Field and Jospeh Field please.

This is a most interesting post. I have been trying for sometime to put together the complex gun industry of the 19th centuary. I have a direct interest as my grandfather and great-grandfather were both listed as gun workers living in Birmingham on my grandfather's marriage certificate. My grandfather was William Jackson born in Birmingham 1877 and married 21 May 1899 to Florence Julia Lunn (born 1879). After immigrating to South Africa sometime in the early 20th centuary he became one of the leading gunsmiths in Johannesburg. Is there any way that we could check whether the Thomas Jackson living at 19 1/2 Princip St.(mentioned in your post) is the same Jackson as my great-grandfather? Buddy

The only William Jackson of that age with a father Thomas in the gun trade that I can see in the census,is the one detailed below

1881 address 194, Newtown Row, Birmingham

Thos Jackson
, aged 37 born 1844 London (?), Gun Stocker
Susan Jackson, Wife aged 34 born 1847 Bham
Sarah Jackson, Daughter aged 12 born 1869 Bham
Ada Jackson, Daughter aged 8 born 1873 Bham
Walter Jackson, Son aged 6 born 1875 Bham
Willie Jackson,
Son aged 4 born 1877 Bham
Thomas Jackson, Son aged 0 born 1881 Bham,

1871 at Back Of Hospital Street, Upper House
Thomas Jackson,
aged 27 born 1844 Warwickshire,Gun Stocker
Susan Jackson,Wife aged 24 born 1847 Warwickshire
Sarah Ann Jackson,Daughter aged 2 born 1869
Elizabeth Jackson, Daughter aged 1 born 1870

1861 at 4, Ormond Street, Birmingham

Thomas Jackson,aged 61 born 1800 Birmingham,Brewer
Ann Jackson,Wife aged 54 born 1807 Birmingham
Margaret Jackson,Daughter aged 20 born 1841 Birmingham, Nurse
Thomas Jackson,
Son aged 17 born 1844 Birmingham,Gun Finisher
Samuel Jackson,Son aged 14 born 1847 Birmingham,Jeweller
Charles Jackson,Son aged 10 born 1851 Birmingham
Elizabeth Jackson,Daughter aged 5 born 1856 Birmingham

If you have William's birth cert, it will have his mother's name on there, if you haven't, you can apply via the GRO on line.
There are quite a few William Jackson births around that time on FreeBMD, but you can stipulate that you only want to purchase the cert if father's name is Thomas?

The only William Jackson of that age with a father Thomas in the gun trade that I can see in the census,is the one detailed below

1881 address 194, Newtown Row, Birmingham
Thos Jackson, aged 37 born 1844 London (?), Gun Stocker
Susan Jackson, Wife aged 34 born 1847 Bham
Sarah Jackson, Daughter aged 12 born 1869 Bham
Ada Jackson, Daughter aged 8 born 1873 Bham
Walter Jackson, Son aged 6 born 1875 Bham
Willie Jackson, Son aged 4 born 1877 Bham
Thomas Jackson, Son aged 0 born 1881 Bham,

1871 at Back Of Hospital Street, Upper House,
Thomas Jackson,aged 27 born 1844 Warwickshire,Gun Stocker
Susan Jackson,Wife aged 24 born 1847 Warwickshire
Sarah Ann Jackson,Daughter aged 2 born 1869
Elizabeth Jackson, Daughter aged 1 born 1870

1861 at 4, Ormond Street, Birmingham
Thomas Jackson,aged 61 born 1800 Birmingham,Brewer
Ann Jackson,Wife aged 54 born 1807 Birmingham
Margaret Jackson,Daughter aged 20 born 1841 Birmingham, Nurse
Thomas Jackson,Son aged 17 born 1844 Birmingham,Gun Finisher
Samuel Jackson,Son aged 14 born 1847 Birmingham,Jeweller
Charles Jackson,Son aged 10 born 1851 Birmingham
Elizabeth Jackson,Daughter aged 5 born 1856 Birmingham

If you have William's birth cert, it will have his mother's name on there, if you haven't, you can apply via the GRO on line.
There are quite a few William Jackson births around that time on FreeBMD, but you can stipulate that you only want to purchase the cert if father's name is Thomas?

my great great grandad Alexander Richard Jackson was born in Stepney, London and his son, my great great grandad Thomas was also born in Stepney 1843/44 and moved to Birmingham married my great grandmother Susan in December 1866. Susan's father, my other great great grandad was Edward Rawlings who was according to the marriage certificate plus his own a GUN stocker/finisher. Are we related in any way ' LADY LINDA ' ????

Back