• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been looking for a biscuit which was square, serated-type edges and was very, very plain in taste. When dunked in tea or coffee it pretty well disintegrated. Think it was called " Morning coffee" or "Morning ...." something or other. Anyone know if it's still available? Viv.

Thanks Barrie and David. Will try and track them down, haven't seen them for years. David, that's a well written piece. I absolutely must run the author's trial of Morning Coffee vs Rich Tea! Cheers. Viv.

Co Op do them I am sure, and with chocolate on now, lah dee dah, I learned to count with my great gran dunking biscuits wth holes in to tea. How many holes left now, she would ask. Also on Rich Tea and Arrowroot which Nan called Arry root. My other gran did it with Garibaldies.

Wow, thanks all. The art of biscuit dunking is still alive and kicking! Viv.
SAINSBURYS make them for 79p. What were the long fingers with little holes and rounded at each end called, I thought they were rich tea then I saw some now and they are round? Nan went in to a shop and asked for some nice buscuits and the woman said wel we've got this that and other, no said nan, nice. She eant Nice (neeeese).
Remember butter Osbournes.

Cadbury's Chocolate Biscuits are still being made but possibly not by Cadbury's but by other companies using Cadbury's Chocolate under licence.

I think it likely, though am not certain, that the chocolate used on the "Cadbury" biscuits is no longer made by Cadbury's if it does not specifically state Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate. these have been made underlicence for many years now, and , while it was still independent the biscuit chocolate was usually Cadbury's chocolate, though Premier Brands, who owned the licence, tried it on at times and hoped it would not be noticed. Now I would think it very unlikely unless they wished to use the Dairy Milk label

I gave somone who collects things from the past, 2 pictures of old Cadbury's adverts which were jigsaws made up and framed in to pictures, which I bought in a charity shop. I am wondering now if they would be worth anything.
I wonder what makes good chocolate. Whilst likging Cadburys and Rowntrees I also like Nestlé Lindt Belgian and French chocolate, Lily O'Brien;s and Lir. I don't like Thorntons or American and stuff they sell on the market.
Marz Bars gave me a headache as a child and they have totally ruined Penguins.

Sorry if someone has already put these on the Thread, there are so many to get through I would die of thirst: Echo Margarine, Special Margarine and Daily Mail Boots. As a kid I would only eat Special Margarine on my bread. When they took that off the market I ate only Echo, now that's gone I just have dry bread. As for Daily Mail Boots, what great hard wearing footware. Studded on the bottom making the sparks fly when you slid along the pavement. Happy days.

Stitcher, looking at the advert for the Radiogram brought back the memory of buying one for "the bottom drawer" for when me and the wife got married. Cost me £32 gns ( I think) from Queens Park Radio on Court Oak Road. The wife loved it that much, when we were finally wed, she told me to leave it at me Moms!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Blue Band is still described as a margarine, at least on its website ( https://www.unilever.pk/brands/foodbrands/blueband.aspx ). Margarine is a food with a legally required composition. Most of the butter substitutes for sale that are intended for spreading do not now fall within that range of compositions. In particular they usually contain more water. this is to increas their spreadability and reduce calorific value . the fact that water is cheap is probably not a factor, as the extra imgredients and processing necessary probably negate that advantage to the company. The hard margarines that are still available (whether called that or not,) are all, in this country at least, all manufactured from different materials anyway , as hardened fish oil is now avoided for health reasons (containing high trans acids)

I can still get tubs of Stork in Dublin, only use it for baking. Remember having it forced on me as a child when we had no butter, vile is right

This just reminded me of all the products Nan used to say wrong. On purpose or just to make me laugh. I don't know if any are still going like Ky Ora, (Kia Ora) Co Op Frairy butter (Friary) I know her Neece biscuits are still around, Tarantula Tomatoes, her seaside trips to Ignog Mills, (Ingamells) or Arbroath, (Amroth), Megavissey (Mevagissey) . I may have posted this before? Old Age? The Dalmer Car factory (Daimler) donnimoes, a cartoon of dripping, people who compute to work. Oh yes I am going off track as usual I know .Drindle skirts (I am told it is dirndle?) Clickety - Click Loaves, I don't known if the brand was 66 or 99. Nuzzle cakes (Kunzle cakes) Balony (palony). Ally borringe Tablets (Haliborange)

When i was a kid jonnie walker was the wisky every one seemed to buy.It was on the optics in the pubs but it suddenly disappeared dont know why.
Do you have Kerrygold now because when I was there 20 years ago I was told it was only for export? I do like your white pudding and Everyday sausages. Does anyone know if you can still get 3 Swallows Whiskey? They have Johnnie Walker still in France. Not seen it here in a while.

I know black label JW is still available, but I thought red label was produced only for export these days. Could be completely wrong on this though! Viv.

The one I bought abroad was square, they had both black and red labels. Is Black and White whisky still available? And Lemon Heart rum and Nourishing stout?

Black & White is still on the go yes. Can't say i've seen Lemon Heart Rum or Three Swallows over here anyway. Lots of stouts but Nourishing Stout I would have to check...

Johnny Walker bottles are indeed square.

Simon

Nan used to open a big orange for me with het thumb and push as many sugar cubes she could in to the indent, then I would suck that.

Nico - My Mom used to cut an orange in half and sprinkle sugar on for me to suck. Cant imagine doing that now!

and a rhubarb atick in a bag of sugar, the bag was corner cut off a paper bag. My grandad did this for me as it was what he had as a boy.
I have put on a post somewhere that nan shoved sugar lumps in to a whole orange for me and I sucked the juice out.
I had bad teeth, Nan loved sweets. Eclairs. She sat knitting in the afternoons, she always washed and changed and wore something nice, I would remark on it but she would never take a compliment, the soft click of her knitting as she fed me with eclairs. They were like half a sphere and ful of chocolate.

Are you confusing Lard with Dripping? Now that was a real treat, more so if you had a bit of "jelly" from the bottom of the dish.

Jimbo not confusing dripping with lard. Lard was also what the boys used to put on their hair instead of bryclream.

An old friend of mine, whose parents drank a lot and also smoked their heads off used to go home from school to lard on a sandwich with a pinch of salt to give it flavour. Sounds disgusting to me, but I guess she and her many sisters were hungry so they just ate it and presumably thought themselves lucky. I can't eat anything remotely greasy, so if that had been me I would have been starving!

"Phyllison Fortifies The Over Forties". Did it ever work? If so I need some now :redface: pleeeeeze.

I think that faded away years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back