• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone remember collecting the various sets of picture cards that were given away inside packets of loose tea ? then sticking them into albums that you had to send for ?

Keegs I loved that sweet tobacco, can taste it now. Delicious stuff. Sweet cigarettes too. There's something similar available today but they're called (I think) candy sticks. Obviously with no fake red lighted tip to them! I collected the cards in the tea too - Brook Bond was the one we had. But I never seemed to quite collect the full set for the book! Viv.

Yes I did Keegs but I never got a full set. Used to swap them. PG Tips I think. Collected birds and animals and planes and cars. Later on the cards were bigger and 3 d might have been in a magazine though. Collected Gollywog labels from Robinsons and got a brooch and a ceramic Golly. Later we did Greenshield stamps, and cigarette coupons. As dad chained smoked we got a coffee set and picnic trays.

I remember the packaging of the sweet tobacco. It was a package made out of a foil-type material which had a greaseproof backing. It was made to look like the packaging of real tobacco. As if we kids needed any encouragement to try a few fags! Another smoking related novelty was the Christmas gift pack of smoking products made out of chocolate. I think the pack usually contained a pipe, a cigar and some fags, all made from cheap chocolate. Don't think they were made at any other time of the year. Doubt you can get those now. Viv.

Printed children's hankies. Don't think I've seen a child with a hankie in years. I suppose tissues are actually more hygenic. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337548671.498046.jpg

Yes the Christmas gift pack was one of my favourites I loved cheap chocolate. Can you remember the cheap chocolate Easter eggs don't seem to be on sale now.
I remember the packaging of the sweet tobacco. It was a package made out of a foil-type material which had a greaseproof backing. It was made to look like the packaging of real tobacco. As if we kids needed any encouragement to try a few fags! Another smoking related novelty was the Christmas gift pack of smoking products made out of chocolate. I think the pack usually contained a pipe, a cigar and some fags, all made from cheap chocolate. Don't think they were made at any other time of the year. Doubt you can get those now. Viv.

I remember cheap chocolate father Christmas's, and they were revolting. Tasted like soap. They were quite big as well, which made things worse.

Hi Maggs, do you remember the chocolate you got in Christmas crackers, which was past its sell by and was all white down one side awful but we still ate it!!!!?
paul

There were pretty little tins of horrible toffee too! Usually a picture of a kitten or puppy....the tins were better than the toffee. As you said Maggs it was probably all they could afford. I liked the chocolate that "Teddy Gray's" used to have, it came in trays and they broke it with a hammer.

rosie, I had forgotten about those toffee tins with the pic of the kitten or puppy. Yes, the tins were better than the toffee. I also remember the toffee in the trays which they broke with the little hammer. but not the chocolate. Do you remember Palm Toffee which came in a block (ready wrapped) with a banana flavoured chewy centre? I loved that. Spearmint chews were nice, they were bright pink bar's, and I loved them too, but gosh our poor teeth. We are lucky to still have them.

Maggs I loved Palm Toffee. I also like peanut brittle which I bought at Woolworths, although it nearly broke every tooth in my head.

rosie, I had forgotten about those toffee tins with the pic of the kitten or puppy. Yes, the tins were better than the toffee. I also remember the toffee in the trays which they broke with the little hammer. but not the chocolate. Do you remember Palm Toffee which came in a block (ready wrapped) with a banana flavoured chewy centre? I loved that. Spearmint chews were nice, they were bright pink bar's, and I loved them too, but gosh our poor teeth. We are lucky to still have them.

I liked the toffee with the little hammer to break it up. Still got one of those silver hammers somewhere. I liked plain toffee but there was also one with brazil nuts inside which I thought was horrible. Having said that I think I'd probably like it now. How our tastes change. Viv.

I still have my Nans Be-Ro and McDougalls books but they will soon be going to a new bookshelf because my youngest son is moving to pastures new and has requested said books :(
Yes Viv Be-ro was a brand of flour and I am sure I saw it recently in a supermarket.

Yes it is still available and has a website, though i don't know if the same recipes are on it as the booklet

My auntie and granny always gave me a tin, I liked the liquorice but I couldn't get the paper off so I ate it with it on! I still have Nan's taffy 'ommer its great for small jobs. She liked bonomints. I liked flat round toffees with a clear wrapper with a bit of lacey white effect on them. My teetch were ruined.

My auntie and granny always gave me a tin, I liked the liquorice but I couldn't get the paper off so I ate it with it on! I still have Nan's taffy 'ommer its great for small jobs. She liked bonomints. I liked flat round toffees with a clear wrapper with a bit of lacey white effect on them. My teetch were ruined.

I'm sure my toffee hammer will come in handy when I can find it too! What are bonomints Nico? Viv.

I'm sure my toffee hammer will come in handy when I can find it too! What are bonomints Nico? Viv.
You can fend off unwanted attention with it. Well if I remember right bonomints were big oval wrapped mints Vivi. Nan said they kept us regular. She loved eclairs especially half ball shaped ones she used to sit knitting and stuff me iwth them. She was mad on aniseed balls too. I used to get them in a clear wrapper in a line, they were a reddish brown. I too love anything with aniseed including fennel and pastis. Gt Gran loved small boiled sweets in a small rounscrew top tin, they were covered in icing type sugar. Have seen them on the ferry and in France where they are a different shape and called berlingots (berlingoes). Made with fruit juice it says.Dad loved Hacks as did I. Mum liked Lucky Numbers,

Bit of a cross post but Twinco Picnic Wear and Straton Compacts and Dressing Table items. Bywaters Pork Pies they made the same pies as Millers in Poole which have closed down. Zwan cocktail sausages
Seen on many tables at parties,​

RTEmagicC_Pork_cocktails_120g.jpg.jpg

RTEmagicC_Pork_big_franks_catering.jpg.jpg

and in there larger incarnation Hot Dogs sold from Teds 'ot Dog stands in the town centre in the evening.

They are still sold, but not in this country which seems a shame, but if you really want to taste them them then a trip to Malta or Northern Cyprus will help to satisfy your craving :cupcake:​

I have a silver-coloured Stratton compact, but I dropped it and the mirror broke. I've still got Mum's which Dad bought for her, it's white with a red rose transfer. I was given several when I was young "to play with", I wish I had taken more care as they are rather battered now, but loved all the same!!
I've just broken my Husband's shaving-mug and that's another product that's faded away!! Can't seem to buy a nice shaving brush either now, the one I found was a bit sparse and moulting in it's box. (He has a beard but shaves around it.)
rosie.

rosie, I know exactly what you mean, it isn't easy to buy a decent painting brush these days either. I had to go on line to find a reasonably good clothes line, as all the one's in the shops are thin rubiishy things. Speaking of still having old things, I still have my two Conway Stuart fountain with 9ct gold nibs, which I used at school.

Thank you John. I loved the swishing sound of Dad's brush, it seemed huge compared to modern ones. Old Spice used to make a shaving -soap bowl it made lovely lather, with soft Birmingham water of course........my tapwater is very hard.
Maggs, I have a Conway Stewart too, green marbled plastic, but I don't use it any more. I enjoyed making a nib at the Pen Museum, they've got so many pens there!!
rosie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back