• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mind boggles at the boys 'double seated knickers' !! Love the ladies 'Tam' hat but not so sure about the bonnet thingy. Might have to give that one a miss. And what value for money the Gamages fourway trenchcoat must have been. Viv.

Oh yes, Rhodian ciggies. Wednesday was me half day off, me mom used to save me 2/6 from me wages, with this I could get 10 Rhodian, the bus fare from Hockley Brook up to the Elite Cinema, and the ticket to get in. I felt like a millionaire.

Barrie.

I'm a child of the forties but I can't remember Rhodians.
My mom used to send me round to the Outdoor to get her ten Churchmans when I was a nipper. She'd probably get sent to Devil's Island if she did that now.

I think I have said this before somewhere but you could tell what part of the country people came from by their ciggy brands, midlanders "park drive" London "Players Weights", northern lads, inc Gordies, scousers etc Woodbines, This was't a science so too speak but in the main. I do remember the packets of "5s", and our NAAFI manager even sold em singly on a Thursday 1d each.
paul

I think I have said this before somewhere but you could tell what part of the country people came from by their ciggy brands, midlanders "park drive" London "Players Weights", northern lads, inc Gordies, scousers etc Woodbines, This was't a science so too speak but in the main. I do remember the packets of "5s", and our NAAFI manager even sold em singly on a Thursday 1d each.
paul
I used to buy 5 Park Drive tipped from Duffy's sweet shop in Lutley Grove, off Adams Hill. I think I've tried them all including Sobrane Black Russian

When I was a junior soldier, stationed in Hereford, the only place you could buy cigs on the camp was from the regimental barber.

He sold Woodbines and Players Weights in 5s and 10s and kept them on a shelf next to the scented soap.

Miserable git !

I used to buy 5 Park Drive tipped from Duffy's sweet shop in Lutley Grove, off Adams Hill. I think I've tried them all including Sobrane Black Russian

Ah yes, I was a fan of Sobranne Black Russian. Used to think I was terribly sophisticated smoking those. Did I imagine it or was there a cocktail version too - multicoloured I think. Viv

I was a junior soldier at Parkhall camp Oswestry, Baz. I also smoked Sabrane Black, and the girls smoked multi coloured Sabrane cocktails. and as others thought them very cultured. I can't place Lutley Grove Phil,
though I lived on Adams hill for 4 yrs, was up Woodgate end??.
paul

Crazy advertising. The lady is sniffing honeysuckle! Nothing like the smell of Woodbine's. Smokers must have been terribly gullible. Viv.

I haven't seen round rubber heels for a while. We used to get them from Woolworths, and they made shoes last longer as they could be turned as they wore down.
I used to have "Stick-a-soles" and "Segs" metal tips which made a noise on the pavement. I still have Grandad's shoe-last.
rosie.

My Mom used to smoke No.6 Barrie, and I still have a carriage clock that was bought with the coupons!

Judy

This is not so much a product but more a service. Does anyone else remember a company that used to visit offices and clean the phones? I cannnot remember their name and there may well have been more than one but they used to appear on a regular basis, place a dummy phone shaped object on the cradle, in order to ensure the phone was not engaged, clean the mouth piece ect and then replace it back on the phone.

View attachment 75645-----View attachment 75646
There is a couple on here that I have never heard of.

Hi Stitcher. There certainly were a lot of brands. Like the Embassy packaging - nothing like the later packaging. I had a great uncle who used to be a tobacco broker, now I can see why. So many brands and types.

Hi Carolina. I remember the man who used to clean the office 'phones but our one used a sort of wipe to do the job. This would have been in the lste 70s/80s. Viv.

nnn.jpeg-----ooo.jpeg
Sweeties, I do remember the Basset but not sure if we can still get them, but the chocolates do not spring to mind.

You can still get them Bassetts. They were part of Cadburys , and are now part of Kraft. I expect the next invention will be licqorice flavoured Philedelphia -Ugh!

Bill, There was a company that used to send ladies round to offices and they were from 'Phonatas'. They used to wear a brown uniform. We also had people come to service and clean our typewriters but they were usually men and I don't remember the name of the firm they worked for.
Anthea.

ccc.jpeg-----s.jpeg
I have never had a single grey hair, I went bald rather early and I do not or never have had a corn.

xxx.jpeg
I do not remember having Horlicks very often but Cocoa was the norm most nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back