• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ison Family

There also appears to have been a lot of building work on Dudley Road between 1861 and 1881, possibly from 30 households to 177. There are at least three families listed on both.

Job Tay's son, John Edward, married in 1860. Record appears to be on Ancestry, it would be nice if his address was Tay's Buildings.
it seems likely to me that tays buildings was named after the tay family...bit of a coinsidence if not

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
There also appears to have been a lot of building work on Dudley Road between 1861 and 1881, possibly from 30 households to 177. There are at least three families listed on both.

Job Tay's son, John Edward, married in 1860. Record appears to be on Ancestry, it would be nice if his address was Tay's Buildings.
It would have been nice but it just says "Birmingham Heath". One point it lists his Father Job as a builder
1698600525143.png

Last edited:
there are quite a few newspaper reports on job tay builder dating from 1791...i cant view the entire reports as i am not subscribed and cant be sure they would help us with the tay buildings location anyway..

lyn

The early ones appear to be about his father, mostly deaths and marriages I think and maybe a bankruptcy.

Have looked at all the references to Job Tay. nothing of relevence to Tay buildings. most either concerning arrangments after his death and sale of property in St Pauls Square and a brickworks near Handsworth church, or marriage or death of his offspring

I looked at the papers and, like Mike, could find no reference to Tay Buildings.
I am wondering if it was just a local name rather than an official one.

Last edited:
Thankyou for all the investigation into the mysterious Tay's Building for Walter George Ison and parents. Is Kidderminster regarded as part of greater Birmingham? Walter's first three children (he and Annie Rowley had 8 more in Brisbane, Australia) were born in Kidderminster. They were William Homer (Homer William) 2 April 1879, John A, Sep 1880 and Emily Mary 2 Feb 1882. These births are confirmed by FREE BMD and GRO. But William Homer does not appear on either register yet he is listed on the ship Rohilla (arrived 13-15 Oct 1883 Brisbane) and his death is confirmed in Brisbane as is his marriage and children. Any thoughts on what is going on here? Thanks for all the help. His name at death was;
  • William Homer Ison
    Event date: 19/09/1946
    Event type: Death registration
    Registration details: 1946/B/8564
  • Mother: Annie Rowley
    Father/parent: Walter George

Thankyou for all the investigation into the mysterious Tay's Building for Walter George Ison and parents. Is Kidderminster regarded as part of greater Birmingham? Walter's first three children (he and Annie Rowley had 8 more in Brisbane, Australia) were born in Kidderminster. They were William Homer (Homer William) 2 April 1879, John A, Sep 1880 and Emily Mary 2 Feb 1882. These births are confirmed by FREE BMD and GRO. But William Homer does not appear on either register yet he is listed on the ship Rohilla (arrived 13-15 Oct 1883 Brisbane) and his death is confirmed in Brisbane as is his marriage and children. Any thoughts on what is going on here? Thanks for all the help. His name at death was;
  • William Homer Ison
    Event date: 19/09/1946
    Event type: Death registration
    Registration details: 1946/B/8564
  • Mother: Annie Rowley
    Father/parent: Walter George
hi garry...what register are you trying to find william homer ison on ? as far as i know kidderminster is not part of greater birmingham but no doubt someone can help with that one

lyn

Hi Lyn, I have used General Register Office (https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp) where both siblings were found in Kidderminster. And Free BMD (https://www.freebmd.org.uk/) where I got the same result. In both registers I tried searching for no first names over extended years with Rowley as mother and only the two siblings emerged. I did not specify county but know it is all Kidderminster.
so is it the birth registration for william you are looking for ? i have got the 1881 census with william and john on it but not emily as she was not born then

lyn

hi
That's genius. Thankyou. Are you guys geneologists. Further, would you regard Kidderminster as greater Birmingham?
hi garry no we not professionals but have been researching for many years and just enjoy giving our free time helping those who have hit brick walls with their family research...

let me know if you want the 1881 census and the baptism for williams brother john although i suspect you may already have them ? cant find a bapt yet for william

lyn

Thanks again Lyn. Am entering Walter's bio and children into Wikitree at present and yes I will appreciate baltism for the three children born in Kidderminster if they can be found. William Homer continues to evade. Emily Mary Ison is my direct ancestor. She married another English immigrant family Blake. In the 1881 census I have seen it has the wrong birthplace for all members of the family and William Homer is listed as William K.

That's genius. Thankyou. Are you guys geneologists. Further, would you regard Kidderminster as greater Birmingham?
No worries. I figured "William Homer" was unusual enough to get a hit on its own, and so it proved.

I'm not local to Birmingham myself, but my best mate is from Kidderminster as it happens. I think he would feel an affinity for Birmingham, but not consider himself a Brummie as such. It's a distinct town with it's own centre, and there's green space between the town and the broader built up area that surrounds Birmingham (the "West Midlands Conurbation").

I'll leave it to the locals to give a definitive answer, though.

Thanks again Lyn. Am entering Walter's bio and children into Wikitree at present and yes I will appreciate baltism for the three children born in Kidderminster if they can be found. William Homer continues to evade. Emily Mary Ison is my direct ancestor. She married another English immigrant family Blake. In the 1881 census I have seen it has the wrong birthplace for all members of the family and William Homer is listed as William K.
happy to help...right here are the baptisms for john and emily...at the min i am still trying to find a bapt for william..also posting the 1881 census for you

lyn

WORRG11_2901_2905-0979 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 62085_302022005560_5664-00111.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 62085_302022005560_3722-00675 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Thanks again Lyn,
You have amazing access to documentation. What is your data source?
i use ancestry garry..you have to subscribe to view the records which are vast..i notice someone in australia has a tree for your isons with lots of family photos on it..i take it you know about this ? what makes you think the 1881 has the wrong place of birth for everyone ?

Last edited:
Considering the ambition of my family project which includes my grandson's line I will have to sign up. I didn't realise it gave access to primary records because I am cautious of the family trees I have seen in Ancestry previews and a trial I had of MyHeritage which turned out often to be in error.

Considering the ambition of my family project which includes my grandson's line I will have to sign up. I didn't realise it gave access to primary records because I am cautious of the family trees I have seen in Ancestry previews and a trial I had of MyHeritage which turned out often to be in error.
to be honest i take family trees with a pinch of salt as you say errors can and very often occur but sometimes they can be very useful..it was nice to see the photo of walter and also a photo of his coach work business which i image you already have

lyn

Yes I do. I have an original from my family. I will have to join Ancestry, there is clearly a wealth of material there.
garry someone will put you right on this but i think to view the records from australia you may have to subscribe to the worldwide option as we have to if we want to view the records from abroad ..you dont have to subsribe for a whole year..i think you can subscribe for a month at a time and i believe your first month is free..

lyn

Lyn,
Just had a close look at the image of the Census. I can read the recorded William K as William H and the children birthplace is transcribed as Stourport but I can read it as Stanford which is in the district of Kidderminster, thus correct. Boy! Can't trust transcription from paper to digital. Could you make that image an attachment. I can't extract it from your entry. It downloads but is corrupted somehow and can 't open it.
Thanks, Lyn.

I always try to look at originals because the transcript from some awful writing depends on the transcriber's knowledge.
(I have a ggAunt transcribed somewhere as India - it should be Julia).

Back