• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Is This Photo A Birmingham Canal?

Franny

knowlegable brummie
1.jpg Is this photo by a Birmingham Canal? The ancestors pictured were from the area. Can anyone recognise it and gauge a rough date please?

Brilliant both thank you. My husband thought it was a river, and that makes sense as there is an Upton and a Worcester connection. Now to tie in the loose ends and name them.

View attachment 109022 Is this photo by a Birmingham Canal? The ancestors pictured were from the area. Can anyone recognise it and gauge a rough date please?
This is an aerial view of Worcester dated 1921. The building in the lower left looks like the building beyond the bridge in the original photo. They probably gained access to the river path on the right from the road bridge seen in the top of this view. I just get the impression that the date of the original photo is earlier than 1920.
Worcester__1921.JPG
A 'britainfromabove' image.

what a smashing photo franny...may i ask how the couple are related to you...

lyn

Would anyone know if this is also Worcester? It's a poor photo.Elsie and grandparents.jpg
what a smashing photo franny...may i ask how the couple are related to you...

lyn
we think they are William Mace Jeynes 1860-1926 and his wife Jane Snape. They are related to my husband, his great grandmother married twice, they are the Jeynes side he is the Hunt/Gibbs side

thanks franny yet another smashing family photo...actually if you post this last one under our picture restoration thread one of our clever members maybe able to sharpen it up a bit for you

lyn

Must have been a 'grand day out' in Worcester as they lived in Summer Road Bham

it certainly must have been grand franny..worcs is lovely...where about is/was summer road cant say as ive heard of it

lyn

A plaque on Worcester Bridge states the bridge was rebuilt in 1932, could this image be from the 1930s ?

The Worcester Railway bridge and Viaduct seen in 2011 near the River Severn. A Panoramic. From Le Vesinet Promenade

A close up view from the same promenade.

From the other side

The Worcester Railway bridge and Viaduct seen in 2011 near the River Severn. A Panoramic. From Le Vesinet Promenade

A close up view from the same promenade.

From the other side

Thank you for those pics, we are confirmed!

No problem. Wonder if the old photo was on the side of Worcester City Centre, or the other side of the river?

As there are grassed park like areas on both sides of the river now (see Google Maps Worcester)

I have tarted up the photo slightly and enlarged it below. also below is a map of the area c1940, though map c 1928 is very similar. I think the building on the other side of the river is the engine house on the map, and believe I can see wagons in front of it. this makes the pathway the opposite side to the city.

worcester_by_rail_bridge_modA.jpg
map_c_1940__Worcester_arounf_rail_bridge.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. Wondering how they got there with a wheelchair from Edgbaston! Train? There was a car in the family, an Austin Clifton tourer I believe from another thread.

It's the Hylton Road area of St John's Worcester, (my daughter lives in St John's) the opposite side of the river to the city. I wonder whether they were visiting relations as, according to the maps of the time, there wasn't much that side of the city. Have you found them on 1911 census?

Lovely pictures, you're so lucky to have them, hopefully you will be able to name them soon.

I think they are William Mace Jeynes 1860-1926 and Jane Jeynes nee Snape 1860-1925. William was born in Birmingham but his mother was from Upton.
Thank you very much for that info, our daughter lived in St Johns as a student. Yes, in 1901 and 1911 they lived in Summer Road Edgbaston.

It’s a small world; my daughter used to lecture in human biology at Worcester a few years ago.

There are several Jeynes’ families in Worcester, I have found a couple in St John’s who they could have been visiting.

Thomas and Clara, market gardener, East Comer in 1901.

Elizabeth widow the Pinch, Hylton Road 1901 & 1911; there’s a link here with a pic of the Pinch https://www.cfow.org.uk/picture.php?/893

Thomas, Alica and Lilian H Jeynes, Henwick Road in 1939.

Small world indeed!
I have many relations from Upton and have Jeynes from Worcester in my tree - My Jeynes married into the Sneed family, living in Hockley in 1901

Back