• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ingleby Street, Ladywood

arley

knowlegable brummie
Could anyone confirm where Ingleby Street, Ladywood can be found? Ive been looking on the 1900s street map. I’ve read a post saying it leads into Foundry Road but I still can’t find it. I believe it may be a posh address for a birth at the workhouse so I have concentrated my search in that area. The birth was registered “ back of 29 Ingleby Street”. Unfortunately, the street seems to no longer exist.

In the map. post 2, there is an empty space where the Palais de Dance would be sited at corner of Ingleby Street and Monument Road. I wonder if the site was cleared for the P de D. It seems unlikely that it would have been empty given the ages of surrounding property.

Hi I have just seen this post my name is Barry Smith I am the son of Don & Ivy Smith. We lived at 62 Ingleby street with my sister Val in the 1960s. I had a friend who lived in the corner of the yard ( court 10 ) his name was Brian and we played in the street on our home made plank of wood with a pram wheel at each corner ( what great fun we had ) I can also remember Mrs Williams who lived over the road who alway cleaned her front step.
Should love to commemorate with anyone who may remember me
Barry Smith

Welcome Barry. I've moved your post to this thread about the street and its neighbours. (The thread you originally posted on was about a specific family).

Enjoy the site.

Viv

Could anyone confirm where Ingleby Street, Ladywood can be found? Ive been looking on the 1900s street map. I’ve read a post saying it leads into Foundry Road but I still can’t find it. I believe it may be a posh address for a birth at the workhouse so I have concentrated my search in that area. The birth was registered “ back of 29 Ingleby Street”. Unfortunately, the street seems to no longer exist.
Hi Ariey
Do you live on Inglebury street ? I did at number 62

A couple of aerial views of Ingleby Street

Attachments

• ingleby-st-aerial-1937.jpg
    ingleby-st-aerial-1937.jpg
    719.7 KB · Views: 24
  • ingleby-st-aerial-1933.jpg
    ingleby-st-aerial-1933.jpg
    774.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Is that large building on the corner the dance hall?
Hi Mark,
On the map from the 1950s it is shown as Swansea Works (Aluminium Holloware), in Kelly's 1955 it is not listed but I'm sure somewhere on BHF there are details of it being a dance hall or roller skating rink.

• Appreciate
It was the Palais de Danse until WW2 then it became a government store - for sugar in the main as far as I know. The Swansea people then took over the premises in 1950. Probably a something on the Monument Road thread.

This is what the Astonian had to say about it back in 2015, he had first-hand knowledge of the place. Ladywood thread
1688402102689.png

• Appreciate
Hi Ariey
Do you live on Inglebury street ? I did at number 62
Hi Barry, sorry I’ve only just seen your post. I didn’t live on Inglebury Street but my Grandfather would have done. I’m doing my family history, that’s how I came across Inglebury Street.

Back