• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice photo. Richard, all creatures have to eat, be it a lion killing a okapi, a hawk killing a mouse.or a human killing a lamb. Either eat, or starve & die. Personally if i had to kill for food i would probably die !
Understand Smudger, my point as my grandchildren would say, hawks seem to have have a “real attitude”quite aloof. I am in the same boat regarding killing for food…..

I`ve had a rat(s) in the garden for a few days now. I bought a bait trap & placed 4 blocks of poison inside which i checked after a few days & none of the poison blocks had been touched. I emptied the poison blocks onto a concrete slab & i was amazed to see a rat come through a gap in the fence & take away a poison block & even more amazed to see it return & take away a block each time. In total i`ve put down 12 blocks & they have all been taken, so hopefully i have seen the last of the rat(s). Horrible creatures, not sure if they would kill a bird?
I know two people who feed and encourage rats. I couldn't. We have four new cats visiting which is working but I worry for the birds. The pigeon has reclaimed last years nest which fledged 3 babies, we didn't really want them either but their
poo drops more in the entry at the back of the garden. I think they are a new couple as the nest is very flimsy. I keep hearing a collared dove too so maybe they are back. When the cats appear they are mobbed by a pair of crows and magpies which we also don't want so they must have nests nearby. The squirrels abandoned the winter drey in Barmy's oak. I noticed several dreys in the supermarket carparks, everyone throws food from the fast food outlets and there are a lot of rat poison things..

We still can't locate the robins' nest in the garage, they were in and out again today and when I was in there. It could be in the rafters. It is so old and leaky I put some ply wood panels up and cut open thick bin bags so I thought they maybe up there. We tidy it occasionally, but we don't want to disturb them. They will be safe from the cats in there at least.

1647088938204.jpeg
Two nights ago I BBQ’d (grilled) on our patio, it was about 72f, the pork was delicious! This morning we had 5” of snow! As a point of reference ANY amount of snow where we live is “over the moon”. Fortunately is was Friday evening so we can veg out for the weekend, and no we do not have very much in the way or snow plows!

Should this be flowering now? It is part of a mixed selection in a pot I was given Christmas 2020. Not flowered before. I know what it is just surprised to see flowers now.
Hi Janice,

Is this a Hellebore Corsican? I have had one of these for many years, it was a one off buy from a fruit shop in Sheldon. It always seemed to be the black sheep of the family. Compared to other types of Hellebores that I have, it always seemed to be sad! I always looked after it though but last winter it wasn't at its best. I had to dig it up recently because it was covered in black leaf spot. I will hopefully get a replacement soon. Sue

Hi Janice,

Is this a Hellebore Corsican? I have had one of these for many years, it was a one off buy from a fruit shop in Sheldon. It always seemed to be the black sheep of the family. Compared to other types of Hellebores that I have, it always seemed to be sad! I always looked after it though but last winter it wasn't at its best. I had to dig it up recently because it was covered in black leaf spot. I will hopefully get a replacement soon. Sue

I just know it is a hellebore. It was in a mixed pot (cyclamen, ivy, this hellebore and something else) Christmas 2020. I planted the cyclamen elsewhere so I could put in spring flowers and this plant grew.
I took out the spring flowers and had summer bedding plants. These got replaced with winter pansies. All the while this grew and began to flower last week to my surprise. It seems to have taken over the pot.

Has anyone got a clue where around Birmingham would be the best for me to get a selection of herbs as I would love to start growing them to eat.

Has anyone got a clue where around Birmingham would be the best for me to get a selection of herbs as I would love to start growing them to eat.
I would have thought any reputable garden centre would have herbs - both plants and seeds. Just watch what you plant and where as some, like mint and lemon balm, are best in containers as they can spread very rapidly.

Spent another enjoyable half hour forking over a tidying borders.
Took these of some of the colour now appearing.
I bought a mixed bag of mini daffs in the autumn. Quite pleased with them but suspect Mr Nutkin has moved some as they have appeared where I don't think I planted them :D . Also I put them in clusters and this one is all on its own.

Attachments

• Daffodil.jpg
    Daffodil.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 6
  • periwinkle.jpg
    periwinkle.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Primrose.jpg
    Primrose.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Skimmia.jpg
    Skimmia.jpg