• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2024

Very cool up here for the time of year, and my bedding plants are really slow to get going.

No improvement for the coming week, weather-wise. Hardly any bees or fly life about.

Steve.
nice pics steve,...same her wet and windy all wild life is sheltering from this wind and rain

not my garden , the estate owner has a very large market and show garden the inn in the village supply's all the beer slops. to the head gardener to get rid of the slugs and snails, i asked him one day does it work? with very slurred speech he said yes it is very good:grinning:

This was yesterday - too much rain today to see many bees.
This is a different flower on the poppy from post #392. When I went out there was a loud buzzing and I could just see 2 bees collecting pollen. One flew off very quickly but the other stayed.
Bee visitor.jpg

This is a different flower on the poppy from post #392. When I went out there was a loud buzzing and I could just see 2 bees collecting pollen. One flew off very quickly but the other stayed.
View attachment 192959

Janice, I have a lot of wild poppy seeds. If you would like some, pm your name and address, and I'll pop some in the post to you.

Steve.

View attachment 192959
The purple ones are really beautiful. Many years ago I found a clump of then hidden behind a hedge on the Reading university campus (did wonder if some students were trying to make something!!). collected the seeds when they ripened, and for many years had some very good examples in my garden. Regretably they seemed to revert after several seasons to rather small versions

Janice, I have a lot of wild poppy seeds. If you would like some, pm your name and address, and I'll pop some in the post to you.
Steve.

If they are native wild ones then yes please. Thank you
Not only do I love them in my garden but I also community garden near my house and we are trying to grow lots of native wild flowers.
(See here last year but still going this year

Have sent a pm

If they are native wild ones then yes please. Thank you
Not only do I love them in my garden but I also community garden near my house and we are trying to grow lots of native wild flowers.
(See here last year but still going this year

Have sent a pm

The seeds are from Poppies that I harvested last year when out walking my dogs, Janice. All from hedgerows locally.

Steve.

We have thistles (not as good as those though) in the wildflower meadow over the road. Will try and post some up to date pics tomorrow.

Back