• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ilmington road school, Weoley castle

I remember Mr Roberts the music teacher, wasn't he always going on about his favourite composer Wagner ? I was in Glory Be's class & agree that Marcusson would have been locked up ,I think he would be classed as a sadistic child molester from some of the things I recall from the shower room. I left in 1961 aged 15 so we would have been there at the same time

Vic

I remember Mr Roberts (ginger hair) he wacked me around the face once for talking in assembley, my mom 5'4" came to the school next morning and chased him into sammy smalls office really funny!!
paul stacey

Does anyone remember a family named Brown who lived in Weoley Castle. The Father was called Alf or Bert and worked for Dares the builders and the Mother was called Doreen (I think) and worked at the QE. I used to work with the Daughter, her name was Jeanette, in the early sixties.

Great photos.Brings back memories.I was the delivery boy at Favours once and also had a paper round and used the Favours delivery bike on a Sunday for the papers bag.Didn't old Faulkes have one leg and a wooden crutch?
I can remember some of the shops on the Square like Wimbush bakers,Claytons greengrocer,Shinns pork butcher next to the Birmingham Municipal Bank,Manders shoe repairs and even Fred's barbers.I lived in Gregory Avenue but I'd quite forgotten the 'dump' down by the duckpond, do you remember the 'bluebell woods' out Bartley Green reservoir way?

do you remember the 'bluebell woods' out Bartley Green reservoir way?

We used to go through the bluebell woods to that huge high viaduct that carried the single track railway to the Austin,the first time we discovered it we were dumbstruck with amazement. We used to make 'man traps' in the wood, it was set up so that a shiny tin box was visible but if you picked it up then a load of small branches would swing down from above .

Before I moved to weoley castle I lived from 1952/56 in Hasbury Road Bartley green, and would go daily in the summer holidays to the "blue bell woods" and squeeze through the bars of the res'a to lie on the big pipes and fish for newts, stickle back, and frogs, then with my sister maralyn and mates foxy and whipps we would eat our jam sandwiches and drink our bottle of water lying in the grass under the trees of the woods., sometimes we would walk to frankley beeches which were lovely in the autum. do you remember the little seat sort of lay by half way along the res'a road were you could sit and see the whole reservoir, great when the wind blew.
paul stacey

I remember the seat in that indent,I used to walk with my dad on a Sunday morning and we would stop there for a rest on our way to the unfortunately named pub 'The Cock Inn' where I would wait outside with the proverbial Vimto and packet of Smith's crisps.

Same vimto and smiths crisps (blue salt bag type) different pub my dad would take us walking each sunday to the "Black Horse" Iley and the same senario, great in summer bloody cold in winter.
paul

This thread interests me because my brother in law was at the school around that time, his name was Eddie Malin but sadly he passed away last year. I was Shenley Courtier between 1964/68 and remember a Valerie Maher who could have been related to the afore mentioned Eddie from an earlier post, they lived on Gregory Avenue. These days I teach Design Technology at Shenley Academy so i suppose I have gone full circle now!

The seat was a relief when you had walked from what is now Long Nuke road and the 'cut out' that allowed you to view the rezza is still there. We used to squeeze through the bars but they always let a dog loose from the tower further down so we quickly got back.

Its strange to imagine the square as it was then. A friend of mine, Rose Isham (nee Mullis or Mullins) tells me that there was air raid shelters on the island in the middle of the square during the war. Rose also attended Ilmo

This thread interests me because my brother in law was at the school around that time, his name was Eddie Malin but sadly he passed away last year. I was Shenley Courtier between 1964/68 and remember a Valerie Maher who could have been related to the afore mentioned Eddie from an earlier post, they lived on Gregory Avenue. These days I teach Design Technology at Shenley Academy so i suppose I have gone full circle now!

Valerie was Eddie Mahers older sister, I remember her green school uniform as she didn't go to Ilmo, there was a younger sister as well but can't recall her name, their dad was a postman and I think Eddie tried that when he first left school. Eddie was my best mate in the 1950's

I think you may find that Valerie was the younger sister and went to Shenley Court. I was in the nativity play with her in 1965 and she would now be around 57 years old. I believe she lives in Canada now!

I think you may find that Valerie was the younger sister and went to Shenley Court. I was in the nativity play with her in 1965 and she would now be around 57 years old. I believe she lives in Canada now!

In that case I can't remember the older sisters name ! Valerie does live in Canada, I spotted a posting of hers a while back on Friends reunited regarding the death of her brother and we corresponded for a while.

EDIT: I just remembered , it's Linda

Last edited:
The only green school uniform I can remember from that time was the Birmingham Girls Grammer School, above Barns Hill towards Quinton.
paul stacey

The only green school uniform I can remember from that time was the Birmingham Girls Grammer School, above Barns Hill towards Quinton.
paul stacey

It was Barns hill as I recall, the school was newly built at the time, there weren't many kids attending grammar schools from the estate , my sister went to George Dixons, and any others who were seen in any kind of school uniform were called ' Grammar grubs'

Hi Paul, izzy, it was called Bartley Green Girls Grammar school my niece went there, she lived in Weoly Castle, its still there just round the corner from Barnes Hill, its known as Hillcrest no longer a grammar school

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Ilmington school from September 1953 to December 1956. There was no school uniform at that time but we did make yellow blouses in the sewing class for gym lessons with Miss James and Miss Wall.

Thanks Liz, only just logged on the site did't get your reply for some reason? I remember the girls had a green blazer and white green checked skirts and green ties with a straw hat, of course to us estate boys they were "posh" and did't have a lot to do with them, I do remember them carrying hockey sticks sometimes.
paul

Hello Paul, my niece was the first one in our family to go to grammar school. yes they wore green

The lady who is second in the queue I am nearly positive is Mrs cave who lived in Quarry road with her son Colin who I knew very well and who had a Triumph 21 and took me out on it as a lad.
paul stacey

Another showing the prefabs on the island
There great I think I have a couple, sorry that wasn't supposed to be there lol I don't know how to delete the kitten, sorry

QUOTE=izzy eckerslike;374617]Another showing the prefabs on the island[/QUOTE]
157CastleSquare.jpg
image-3-for-nostalgia-weoley-castle-pictures-from-the-archives-gallery-532091790.jpg
I think I may have a couple I meant to post these,[ Prefabs and shops

There used to be a very old lady living in one of the prefabs opposite Faulkes sweet shop, we had just got a rabbit and us kids spotted that the ladies garden was completely overgrown with Dandelion leaves so we knocked on the door and asked if we could pick some and we became quite friendly with her and used to visit her often, her name was Mrs Joiner and she lived alone so was glad of someone to talk to

Liz did you know my old mate "Paddy macgill" he lived in the prefabs on the castle square, and mike whitehouse.
paul

Liz did you know my old mate "Paddy macgill" he lived in the prefabs on the castle square, and mike whitehouse.
paul
Hi Paul no I don't, I remember the prefabs well, I had friends and relatives living in Weoly Castle

Back