• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

hurst st

I too went to the Comp it was over the road from me Sheldon Heath Road , used to walk up to Garretts Green Road to catch the bus to town opposite the Police Station, I think it was the number 17, so long ago.

much earlier, 1964. what bands did you lay in? I was good friends of Jake Commander who worked at Nest studios near wasp in Hurst st. Did you know him?

I went to Garretts Green Tech about 1968 to 1970 to study tech drawing and tracing. Do you remember The Virus later Blackfoot Sue from Kingshurst? I used to catch the 175 bus from Tile Cross to The Radleys to catch the bus to school at Coleshill about 1966-1967. Mainly because a lad I fancied caught the bus across the road in to B'ham. Anne

Tony........ I played in a few bands over 35 years, nothing famous mainly in social clubs but good steady work. I was part of recording @ Zela? records in Birmingham in the 70's i think laying down demo tracks for two young songwriters, still have the disc nothing happened, also recorded @ Abbey Road early 70's for the Opportunity Knocks producer as we went to an audition for the show, [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Hughie Green said we were in the show but wanted to record us as we have an "interesting sound" but we got rid of our then present manager and never heard anything from the show mmmm. We were at the time the resident pop group at the Tower Ballroom Edgbaston for Mecca and were voted the best trio in the country, I was there for 3 years before joining a band called the Hykells who were quite famous'ish in Birmingham in the clubs.

Ann.... never heard of The Virus or Blackfoot Sue, sounds interesting, what was that all about?
[/FONT]

I remember the Hykells very well. They played Longbridge Social a lot when I was a glass collector/barmaid!!

I know this has gone off the Hurst st theme but interesting anyway.Rick, I tried playing guitar when I was young but didn't get very far, nobody to guide me although I still retain an interest in guitars and would love to own a fender, gibson or rickenbaker. I was involved for 14 years in the music business working for RCA records (which became BMG) and met lots of big artists and bands, great times. The music scene here in the Costa Blanca is good and one of my old favorites, Wayne Fontan lives local and sometimes plays in bars here. By the way, sun is shining here today - 68 degrees, sorry about the weather you are getting lol.

Rick, Blackfoot Sue had a hit in the seventies with 'Standing in the Road'. They were our local band at Kingshurst, I went to infants and juniors with one of them and another was my very first boyfriend. Aaaah
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWaJ6vNyvaw

Excellent, I too don't live in the UK now but eastern Europe and its a bit cold, still the summers are long. Being a newbie here is there a forum that has general chat about music scene in Birmingham? as i don't want to go widely off the Hurst st theme.

Sorry Rick, I tried to send you an instant message but it wouldn't let me post it. The thread will soon revert to Hurst Street, I'm sure. Anne

I notice in the photo Des O'Conner and Peggy Mount are in a Cinderella Pantomine at the B'Ham Hippodrome. I wonder who played Cinderella - I can't imagine it was Peggy Mount from what I remember of her !

11 years ago old Mohawk wrote above:
Jodie Wilson played Cinderella, Peggy Mount played the Fairy Godmother
Christmas 1991

cinderella 1991.jpg

11 years ago old Mohawk wrote above:
Jodie Wilson played Cinderella, Peggy Mount played the Fairy Godmother
Christmas 1991

View attachment 172242
I seems Lyn's pic I was quoting has disappeared. I've searched my computer and the forum for it but no results. I did notice a Hurst St pic (date 1955) in the 'Old Streets' thread. I seem to remember a thread 'Radio Shops of Hurst St' but it has gone or merged ... some of us commented about buying ex RAF 1155 radios and other electrical stuff ... it was my main memory of Hurst St ... :)
1383-hurst st showing the hippodrome... 1955img542-1.jpg

Back