• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Humphries

FOXY

master brummie
Is there anyone who could help,I am really stuck I am looking for information on Humphries,my granfather's name Hector his father's name Frederick George,mother's name Jane Cross,Hector married in St Paul's church in aston to Ethel Adams in 1917,I would be very gratful for any idea's.

Hector birth 1898,it says on birth certificate 2 back5 milton street,not sure where that was but sub district St George,his father Frederick was a carpenter. Marriage certificate for Hector and Ethal say's address Chain Walk aston, I am not sure where Ethel came from but maybe West Bromwich.

Phew...

Found his birth:July/August?september 1898.

Hector Stanley HUMPHRIS...
Note the spelling of the surname !!!!

That's why I couldn't find him on the census's, so I'll go back to them now.....

1901 census

Family name : HUMPHRES

Frederick G 1854,Northamptonshire, Carpenter
Jane 1856,Northamptonshire

Ambrose 1884
Amos H 1887
Albert E 1891
Alice 1892
Lucy 1894
Lizzie 1897
Hector S 1898

1861 census

George Humphres 1828,Northampshire,Pauper
Joanna 1829,Warwickshire

Thomas 1851
Richard 1853
FREDERICK 1854
Danial (Daniel?) 1857
Julia 1859
Emily 1860

Johanna (note change of spelling). Head.Pauper

Thomas.Carpenter
Frederick. Apprentice carpenter
Daniel. Apprentice carpenter
Julia
Edina.1867
George.1869

:angel: And this could be more...

Births Mar 1854
Humphris Frederick George
Southam
Vol 6d
Page 531

The district Southam spans the boundaries of the counties of Northamptonshire and Warwickshire

Births Mar 1854
Cross Jane Northampton
Vol 3b
Page 67

The district Northampton is in the county of Northamptonshire
Or
Births Sep 1856
CrossJane Nottingham
Vol 7b
Page 241

The district Nottingham is in the county of Nottinghamshire

:angel: Possible mis-transcription here:

Marriages Jun 1873 (>99%)
Crop Jane Brackley 3b13
Humphris Frederick George Brackley 3b13
The district Brackley spans the boundaries of the counties of Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire and Oxfordshire

Pom :angel:

On the marriage certificate, they were married in the presence of Lizzie Humphries,Hector's birth certificate that I have has the wrong spelling [e] missing but marriage certificate spelt correct.I have convinced myself I had the wrong birth certificate,but looking at it his mother sign's with a cross. I would never of thought of looking at wrong spelling's.

Back