• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HS2 progress 2020 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if that is true Lyn. I read it as that everything after Curzon st plus euston was going to be delayed, which seems stupid, especially the Euston bit

Not sure if that is true Lyn. I read it as that everything after Curzon st plus euston was going to be delayed, which seems stupid, especially the Euston bit
hi mike my notes say that birmingham station was meant to be open by 2026 so are we still on target for that date i am confused :rolleyes:

lyn

just heard on the news that the total cost of HS2 has risen to £70 billion that is double the cost of the original estimate..

HS2 is a controversial subject. While respecting the honest differing views of many (I myself would be for a large investment in the railways, though preferably only with HS2 considered after other improvements have been carried out), whenever political or religious views are espoused it usually results in arguments, which are not what this forum is about. That is the history of Birmingham . I have deleted a number of off-topic posts, together with a few which might be considered political, and hope the thread will continue as a record of the construction of this project.. The thread has now been reopened

Last edited:
The complicated infrastructure of HS2 London to Birmingham is gradually being revealed as sections are shown and the building commences.

The extent of the project is immense when considered against the making of railway networks throughout the country. Artist's impressions show how the railway into the terminus at Curzon Street will be built. It will be something to be proud of on completion and positive statement against those that have derided it.

It is testing the skills of engineers to the modern limits and involves extensive sections of viaducts, tunnels, overbridges, underbridges, and stations.

There are three viaducts on approach to Curzon Street, with No 2 being called the Jude Bellingham Viaduct. The foundations of no 3 are presently taking place.

HS2-VL-50425-Bellingham-bridge.jpg

This view shows the route from the No 2 viaduct to the canal crossing at No 3 and the terminus station in the distance. It would appear that No 3 will cross an open space adjacent to Millenium Point.

HS2 Curzon-viaduct-1400x631.jpg

I wonder if the "Euston" delay is a bit of a political move, to show that London is being affected as well as "the North"? I suppose we shall have to wait to see which of the two are eventually permitted to recommence construction. My money's on Euston.

On Radio WM last week, a Lichfield Trader complained about his business being affected by road closures for HS 2 and queried why the work was still ongoing if all work was to stop!

Such is the misinformation passed on by the press, such a misunderstanding can happen. At present, the work on the section north of Lichfield to Crewe will be delayed, whilst work goes on with the rest. The Crewe section has its act and the Manchester section from Crewe is presently progressing through Parliament to get an act and there is still a keen desire to make the Eastern section from Lichfield towards the East Midlands Airport. The section at Euston station is also delayed to ensure the railway is completed to Old Oak Common and at present HS 2 is deciding whether to progress with the tunnel to Euston at Old Oak as other work is underway at Old Oak.

HS 2 did have a statement read out by Radio WM as to their continued work on the line and those who pass Curzon Street will note the increasing number of support columns for Viaduct 3 going up.

All Change at the Top
'Mark Thurston announced on Wednesday he would be departing the government-owned company at the end of September after six and a half years at the helm – making him the firm’s longest serving chief executive.'
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...gns-from-delayed-and-scaled-back-rail-project

Old Oak Common to Euston is now scheduled for completion in 2041 after the link to Manchester is completed.

Last edited:
All Change at the Top
'Mark Thurston announced on Wednesday he would be departing the government-owned company at the end of September after six and a half years at the helm – making him the firm’s longest serving chief executive.'
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...gns-from-delayed-and-scaled-back-rail-project

Old Oak Common to Euston is now scheduled for completion in 2041 after the link to Manchester is completed.
Just read the Guardian article, that is not good news, leadership is like a revolving door! I would also question the Board of dire about the decisions they are making and their qualifications to make such decisions! Based on the government audit it appears that the leadership does not know what the end game should be and their expectations for same!

I would guess he was just disgusted with the government's approach. Whatever people's views on the original project, it can be accepted that extending to Manchester and Leeds might have to be delayed. But to delay going to Euston and people for a while having to get off at Old Oak Common and then get the underground (delay which will greatly increase costs) is stupid even for those that nowadays seem to be incharge

I would guess he was just disgusted with the government's approach. Whatever people's views on the original project, it can be accepted that extending to Manchester and Leeds might have to be delayed. But to delay going to Euston and people for a while having to get off at Old Oak Common and then get the underground (delay which will greatly increase costs) is stupid even for those that nowadays seem to be incharge
The Public Accounts Committee which examined the finances were very critical: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-could-race-past-4-point-8bn-estimate-mps-say
Mark Thurston is an Electrical Engineer by training, I understand. The construction and engineering are remarkable. I will avoid commenting on the politics and finance.:)

You are probably right Mike, but how long is the government going to keep doing the wrong thing! Your last comment on Euston is right on point. It's like having the inmates running the asylum! No leadership only spenders of others money without any accountability! They must have learned from the State of California!

It will possibly be that I never live long enough to see a blinking train run past here but for years now and for years to come I have lived with the horrendous sight of the devastation all around where I live , trees axed down in their hundreds, and wildlife looking for new homes.
The roads in my locallty are full of traffic lights to allow passage for the huge lorries that service the sites and leave their mud in their wake.
The offices and admin buildings of containers of HS2 look like small villages.
There is a layby on Birmingham Road near Coleshill, opposite the HS2site, and the layby has a notice to say Closed until 2025, with their record perhaps wishful thinking.
The newspapers tell us everyday that more and more people are working from home and don't have to attend meetings , they video link,so who is going to use these trains.

when we was courting my wife to be lived on the Birmingham Road near Coleshill it was a lovely rd to walk down from c/brom to coleshill all country and a horse riding stables in water orton. and it was all fields beautiful.....before i moved here that was my patch all around there glad i cant see what they have done

when we was courting my wife to be lived on the Birmingham Road near Coleshill it was a lovely rd to walk down from c/brom to coleshill all country and a horse riding stables in water orton. and it was all fields beautiful.....before i moved here that was my patch all around there glad i cant see what they have done
Unfortunately Pete, they have no accountability!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back