• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

howe street

jean b

Brummie babby
does anyone remember the sparrow family that lived in Howe street, i am looking for my grandparents that lived in this street,my grandfathers name was John Edward Sparrow and grandmothers name was mary jane sparrow they lived at nbr 23 and are on the status and index record in 1841, if you can tell me anything about them i would be gratefull

Sorry, but have you got that right? Your grandparents lived in Howe st in 1841 ?

Hi, There was a John Edward and Mary Jane Sparrow living at 2 back of 65 Priory Road Aston in 1927.

Hello Jean B

I lived in Howe Street until I was 5, that would have been about 1951, our family name was Forrester. I certainly don't remember the names of anyone there.

Regards Trebor

HI JEAN B;
I can recalla family by the name of sparrow in heath street winson green during the period from the fifties and straigh through until the eighties she use to wear a fur coat always regarding te weather she used to go with a guy named draper a blonde hair kid ;
any connections i wonder i beleive they started a bussiness up on the corner harborne high street facing the bear pub and supplyed all but most shops and hotels of fruit and veg ; around brum ; best wishes astonian

thanks for the info, will look into that but not sure its the right sparrows, its hair pulling not knowing anything about my grandfather and grandmother sparrow, i found out that they lived in Howe street ,my grandmothers name was Mary Jane Sparrow nee Sommerville,but its our grandfather who's giving me a headache!!!! maybe what you have told me is a connection,we also found out he was a tic tac man?my mother was born in Howe street in 1925 alog with her two brothers Arthur, and john, i have a photo of my grandmother in the garden in Howe street we think with my mother and her brother Arthur, looks like a back to back house in the backround, thanks again astonian

thanks trebor, i dont no how long they lived there for, my mother was a baby in arms and she was born in 1925 thanks

I think I am getting a little mixed up, on the status and index records there is sparrows in howe street in 1841 now thinking could be my great grandparents

Hi, does the following help?
If you purchase the marriage cert, this will give John and Mary's parent's names and occupations.

Births Mar 1894 (possible birth?)
John Edward Sparrow Aston vol 6d Page 337

1919 Absent Voters List
at 23 Howe Street
John Sparrow 2252, Pte., 9th K.R.R.
1920 Electoral Roll
at 23 Howe Street
John Sparrow,Joseph Frederick Sparrow and Alfred Edward Batchelors
1925 Electoral Roll
at 23 Howe Street
John Edward Sparrow

Marriages 1920 Oct-Nov-Dec
Mary J Somerville married John Edward Sparrow
Aston vol 6d Page 944

thankyou so much, will let you know how

Thankyou so much, looks very interesting indeed,let you know how I get on many thanks jean b

My great parents lived in Howe street, they were the Cross family. My grandfather was George and he had a brother Jim. They lived there well into the 1950s if my memory serves me well..

Back