• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

How to find details of Deed Poll name changes

M

mands77

I wonder if any one could help me!

I had my name changed by deed poll when I was young (you will see on other threads i'm also looking for my father).

Can any one tell me how I can get a copy of the deed poll document?! I have tried the National Archive, Kew place and no joy. The problem I know very little about it all. I think it was approx 1980 - 82 when i had my name changed from Gilfillan to Temple.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you all.

Amanda Jane

xx

There are Deed Poll indexes in the National Archives for the years 1965 to 1999

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk...gov.uk/catalogue/leaflets/ri2250.htm&lBack=-1

What I remember from years ago about changing your name was that a declaration could be made through a solicitor and in the case of a child I would think that unless both parents agreed it would have to go to court.

Try the childrens social services as just like in an adoption or fostering if it affected a childs life say as the result of a divorce then I think they may have had to be involved or they may be able to advise you about the location of such records.

I also think that you could just inform individual authorities in writing that you were changing your name to one that you are commonly known by just like when a woman gets married and has to change from her maiden name.

Check any newspapers just in case it is something that was put in the personal columns. The London Gazette was one newspaper that carried such name changes, although not all name changes were put in the newspapers as some people may not have wanted to advertise the fact that they were changing their name.

In the old days people getting divorced for instance would put a personal notice in the newspaper that they were no longer responsible for thier spouses debts.

Louisa

Mands is not that old Mike or were you referring to someone else?.

Thanks Bernie, I was born in 1977! Not 1907 lol. But thanks any way
xx

Back