• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Horseshoe Hotel Stratford Road

Janice
I don't know if this contributes as it is some time ago, but in the 1970s my cousin , who was in quite a small house in Malvern, wanted to extend it to a larger size. There were a lot of building restrictions in the area, but they were allowed to virtually rebuild the house (larger), provided that tweo (or it might have been three) of the original walls remained in the structure. Could this be what "partial demolition means?

Didn't notice until Friday but they seem to be keeping the ornamental frieze (not sure what to call it) at the front as that iss till there just visibe over the boards.

First pic taken fron the photo in post #24, second pic taken from a photo I took on Friday (June 30th)

Attachments

• frieze before work.JPG
    frieze before work.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 7
  • frieze Jun 30.JPG
    frieze Jun 30.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 7
Doesn't seem to have been much work done on the former pub building but the building which is going to house Farm Foods has shot up this week. Just after I had taken the photo there was a loud hooting as a wagon carrying more metal girders announced its arrival at the site. Unfortunately he was not at the site entrance and had to carry on up Stratford Road - he was back a few minutes later having turned round smewhere and was turning down the road to the site entrance.

Farm Foods.jpg

I believe it had been leased but the tenant hired out the former "wacky warehouse" building to the Burger Bar Boys gang, After that the owners decided to sell it.

At least part of the old building will be standing - unlike some buildings which get blitzed completely.

Work seems to have stalled now the metal girders/framework is in place for what will be Farmfoods but they have now made a start of the girders that will extend what is left of the pub building.
Horseshoe Nov 10.jpg

Hadn't realised it was so long since I last posted.
The metal frame building is now bricked in and has a roof - this will be Farm Foods.
The bus stop has been moved and a shelter put up - it used to be just a stop and outside the pub.
Work has now begun on painting the outside walls of the pub - covering the graffiti - it remains to be seen, sadly, how long they stay pristine. Haven't been across to see what is happening inside.
Temporary bus stop in this first photo.
Shoes Pub.jpg
New bus stop to one side of the temporary one.
Shoes pub 2.jpg
shoes pub 3.jpg

Last edited:
Back