• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HOMER, HAWKES AND DOVEY FAMILIES

K

Kate

Thanks to my super-sleuth mate, Grace, I now know more about the Dovey family. Harriet Mary DOVEY married John ross HOMER 27 July 1901. His father was John Frederick Homer, a jeweller who lived at 18 Clifford Street.
Walter Charles DOVEY married Nellie HAWKES. Her father John Hawkes was a goldbeater.
Anyone familiar with Homer or Hawkes?

Just a tip...

:D Kate just a thought as you have one of these names in your tree...

Nell, or Nellie was the pet name for Ellen, also used the other way around Ellen for Nellie.

Elizabeth variants Liz. Beth , Bess, Betsy, Betty, Eliza, Liza even Hetty and Elsie .
Others female names to watch out for are Polly
for Mary or Mary Ann.
Meg, Maggie and Peggy for Margaret and Sally for Sarah. Also (old-fashioned)
Sukie for Susan (as in the rhyme 'Polly put the kettle on').
Also worth bearing in mind are Nan, Nanny or Nancy for Ann and Jenifer being shortened to Jane .

On Censes forms 'The enumerator' took down the names which were given to him, also in some cases the form may have been filled in by one of the children as the parent may have been illiterate. Pet names or nick names used, were written in place of given names and in some cases that's why the place or country of birth is incorrect. ( Children often did not always know a parent or sibling had been born anywhere other than where they themselves had been born).

Hope this is of help to any others reading this also. :)

Chris :)

Chris, you're so right. Nellie is Ellen. Found her on 1891 Census, Ellen Hawkes age 7

I'm tracing the Hawke/s family in Deritend/Aston area in the late 1600s/early 1700s. Not sure what your dates are or if we can connect.

Anne B

Back