• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Home with the heather

jfc

master brummie
Home with the heather is a bus book with a difference. The book tells of the adventure taken by Mrs Gertrude Leather in 1954 travelling by service bus from London to John O Groats. I am now reading this for the forth time, It describes the adventure, written in a very down to earth fashion of the journey, bus by bus, on the seven day journey to her destination and seven days back again, at a time before before Nationalisation and when buses still had conductors. The book was published in 1985 by Ian Allen and John Park added many period photos, including a number of Midlands pictures. I found my copy in The Works around ten years ago. For the bus enthusiast, this is a super little book written from a different angle and well worth a read.

Back