• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Holmes Family Genealogy Request

Beorc

proper brummie kid
Hello All.
I hope it is appropriate for me to ask for assistance here. My father, Donald Holmes was an agricultural engineer for his father, George Holmes who was a blacksmith, keeping the forge on Church Road in Sheldon.
It is my fathers mother's family I wish to trace a little further back, if possible, as my father would tell me that there was a German connection, with family members deriving from Heidelberg in Germany.
His Mother, Ellen Tonks died when he was a boy, and his father remarried. He lost connection with his family when I was a child, and therefore I did too. He was very proud of his Mother.
He was also interested in his German heritage, but knew so little.

Ellen Tonks' mother's name was Annie Forks, and her Fathers name Edward Bertram Tonks. Edward was a tailor in Small Heath.

Through my searches I believe it is Annie Forks (birth 1871, Handsworth, historically in Staffordshire) who may have German ancestry. I understand the name 'Forks' may have variants such as Forke, Forcke etc. I will now see if I can access Handsworth Parish records for details of Annie's parents. I just wondered if anyone knew of any other information they may share!
P.S. ... My only real memory of Sheldon, aside from being in Grandfathers workshop, is visiting Freddy Evans sweet shop. My Dad would sometimes take me there on the way home from work. Thank you so much,
Beorc.

First question would be is why is Annie listed as Robinson on her marriage to Edward Tonks and all the children appear to be registered as Tonks/Robinson?

I see that she and the children appear to be listed as Forks on the 1901 census but could that just be an error?

Last edited:
Best guess is that she is the only daughter of John Carrick Robinson of Dalston, Cumberland and Margaret Love of Greenock, Scotland. Which appears to be borne out by Edward and Annie's eldest son being called Edward Carrick.

First question would be is why is Annie listed as Robinson on her marriage to Edward Tonks and all the children appear to be registered as Tonks/Robinson?

I see that she and the children appear to be listed as Forks on the 1901 census but could that just be an error?
It is indeed a good question. I asked myself the same thing! Thank you so much for your kind replies. I will look into it further!

Best guess is that she is the only daughter of John Carrick Robinson of Dalston, Cumberland and Margaret Love of Greenock, Scotland. Which appears to be borne out by Edward and Annie's eldest son being called Edward Carrick.
Ahhh ... Thank you for this. My father used to speak of a 'Granny Robinson.' I always assumed, from what he said, that it was on his father's side. Thank you again. This is much appreciated.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Further proof is the name of another of Edward and Annie's sons, John Ingles Robinson.

There is a baptism for a Margaret Love 27 Aug 1838, Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire parents listed as John Love and Jean Inglis. Margaret's father is listed as John on her marriage John Carrick Robinson.

John Carrick Robinson's parents were Richard Robinson and Ann Carrick both born Carlisle.

Further proof is the name of another of Edward and Annie's sons, John Ingles Robinson.

There is a baptism for a Margaret Love 27 Aug 1838, Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire parents listed as John Love and Jean Inglis. Margaret's father is listed as John on her marriage John Carrick Robinson.

John Carrick Robinson's parents were Richard Robinson and Ann Carrick both born Carlisle.
MWS, thank you ever so much. It just goes to show what you can find out if you know what you're about. I don't know why exactly, but I've found this genealogy search boggling. I think it's the emotion attached to it. I am truly grateful.

My late Uncle was a Holmes and he was born in Germany, lived in England
and later emigrated to Canada.

I wonder if he could be from the same family?

My late Uncle was a Holmes and he was born in Germany, lived in England
and later emigrated to Canada.

I wonder if he could be from the same family?
Well now. He could be!! I'm beginning to realise anything is possible here! Perhaps it is from the Holmes side that this German heritage arises. I'm sure Dad had good reason for his beliefs. When I research the Holmes side, if I uncover anything, I'll be sure to let you know. Thank you!

Had a quick look at who I think are your Holmes ancestors and there doesn't seem to be any German - just Warks, Staffs and Shropshire.
Thank you again, MWS. I had a look, and got as far as great grandparents, seeing no German links. I shall now report to the lady above!

Well now. He could be!! I'm beginning to realise anything is possible here! Perhaps it is from the Holmes side that this German heritage arises. I'm sure Dad had good reason for his beliefs. When I research the Holmes side, if I uncover anything, I'll be sure to let you know. Thank you!
... I don't know whether you saw MWS latest reply to this thread - but they can't see any Holmes connection to Germany in my family. I had a look too, as far as great grandparents. Thank you for flagging it up to me, I'm very grateful. Take care!

Hello All.
I hope it is appropriate for me to ask for assistance here. My father, Donald Holmes was an agricultural engineer for his father, George Holmes who was a blacksmith, keeping the forge on Church Road in Sheldon.
It is my fathers mother's family I wish to trace a little further back, if possible, as my father would tell me that there was a German connection, with family members deriving from Heidelberg in Germany.
His Mother, Ellen Tonks died when he was a boy, and his father remarried. He lost connection with his family when I was a child, and therefore I did too. He was very proud of his Mother.

Ellen Tonks' mother's name was Annie Forks, and her Fathers name Edward Bertram Tonks. Edward was a tailor in Small Heath.

Through my searches I believe it is Annie Forks (birth 1871, Handsworth, historically in Staffordshire) who may have German ancestry. I understand the name 'Forks' may have variants such as Forke, Forcke etc. I will now see if I can access Handsworth Parish records for details of Annie's parents. I just wondered if anyone knew of any other information they may share!
P.S. ... My only real memory of Sheldon, aside from being in Grandfathers workshop, is visiting Freddy Evans sweet shop. My Dad would sometimes take me there on the way home from work. Thank you so much,
Beorc.
Beorc, the name Forke/Forcke could also be from the Dutch. Having said that I would be led by MWS.
Good hunting!

Hi Alberta. Thank you very much. I'm so grateful for everyone's help. It feels special because the help has come from Birmingham too - and that in itself is a joy, like coming full circle back to a feeling of belonging and community.

You have had some terrific responses to your query already.

My late uncle was the son of an english father and german mother.

His father was around at the birth of music recording and and later went
on to be influential in the setting up and equipping of Abbey Road studios.

He has a website dedicated to him on the internet, just a google search away.

Good luck with your ongoing research...

You have had some terrific responses to your query already.

My late uncle was the son of an english father and german mother.

His father was around at the birth of music recording and and later went
on to be influential in the setting up and equipping of Abbey Road studios.

He has a website dedicated to him on the internet, just a google search away.

Good luck with your ongoing research...
I have indeed! What an exciting piece of family history for you. It must feel really good to know that!

Hello All.

Beorc.
My Dad's surname was Holmes at birth in 1936. His mother was Evelyn Holmes of Edgbaston. His father is unknown, however Dad was known as “the little Dutch boy” as a child. DNA testing myself and my sister reports ~German origin.

Back