• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hobbies 2015 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Trix made between 1961-65 at Summer Lane, but you have brought out some other interesting information.
See photo below shows my mother Pauline (died 1988) working at the Coronet Camera Factory, Summer Lane on 1st December 1957.
Coronet closed in 1967 I believe.
According to Graces Guide

By 1958 Dufay-Chromex was known as Dufay Ltd

1958 Ewart Holdings, owners of Trix, collapsed. Dufay Ltd was a major creditor who acquired the assets of Trix and Precision Models.

1960 Dufay moved Trix production to Birmingham.

1961 Mr Marcel Martin, who controlled the Highgate Optical Manufacturing Co, and his associates acquired about half of the preference shares of Dufay[1]

1961 Dufay Ltd, photographic film and equipment makers, would need a drastic reorganisation of capital after heavy losses and write-down of stock; 2 acquisitions were under consideration; no dividend had been paid since 1946 on the ordinary shares[2]

1961 A subsidiary, Spicer-Dufay (British), had been renamed Trix Products; the managing director of Trix of Germany was appointed to its board[3]

c.1961 Poor sales lead to Dufay ending Trix production in order to save damaging the rest of the group; Trix was prepared for sale.

1962 Dufay would become an industrial holding company; Trix and Dufay would be disposed of; the Coronet camera subsidiary had recovered from the previous year's set-back; Polyfoto (England) was being reorganised[4]

1962 Trix was sold to Alvus Investments and Trading who planned to restart production in High Wycombe, but only the coach moulding tools were made.

hi rob so if trix were at 310 summer lane between 61 and 65 and if coronet cameras were there until 67 and that photo shows your mom working for coronet in 57 would that mean that the two companies shared the building...

its a wonderful photo of your mom..i have been trying for years to find a photo of 310 bearing the name coronet but to no avail so to have this one of your mom is a real treat...i take it she was involved in making the cameras in some way

many thanks

lyn

hi rob so if trix were at 310 summer lane between 61 and 65 and if coronet cameras were there until 67 and that photo shows your mom working for coronet in 57 would that mean that the two companies shared the building...

its a wonderful photo of your mom..i have been trying for years to find a photo of 310 bearing the name coronet but to no avail so to have this one of your mom is a real treat...i take it she was involved in making the cameras in some way

many thanks

lyn
Yes, as you can see from the photo she was working on a 'plastic extrusion machine' it was a dirty oily job normally operated by men, she produced the plastic clear lens for the cameras, piece working, she worked with metal curved pliers trimming/cleaning up the edges, thousands of em!.
As a single mum, she wanted a job that started early in the morning and gave her an early finish as well.

kind regards
rob

How right you are Williamstreeter, Palikit was made in Leicester between 1950s and 1964, it was also similar to Vogue and Pioneer. The parts 13, 15 & 18 are made of plastic (marked P in attached photo), the rest metal.
The system was inferior to Meccano, mainly because it didn't have a large range of parts, but had smaller holes than Meccano and a Meccano axle would not go into the holes.

Thanks RobT you've made me feel even worse now Ha Ha

One of my hobbies was building model aeroplanes and the model shown in the pic below started it. My dad worked days at the Castle Bromwich Aircraft factory building Spitfires and in the evenings he built a model of a Lysander as I stood and watched. The small photo remained with other family photos in a shoebox since the 1940s until I scanned it a few years ago. Sadly the Lysander does not look as good in the pic as I had pictured it in my memories but materials were hard to get in wartime.
ZDadsplane.jpg

Years later I built a model from a kit and was so pleased when it actually flew. I continued with the hobby until my late teens also building radio control receivers which used valves !

Phil,

One of he first Airfix models that I put together was a Lysander, when Woolies used to sell the smaller Airfix kits of a pound a time.

Maurice :cool:
Maurice I'm sure my first Airfix aeroplane only cost me something like 2/- or 2/6d from Woolies.

Wells Fargo coach.JPGWhen I lost my Wife many years ago I lost interest in painting, not being a TV person I went in for wooden model kits and got completely absorbed, started with simple ones and moved on to more complex models, have attached 2, HMS Victor (3 foot 6 long and took me one whole winter to complete) and a Wells Fargo coach (18 inches long) - I'm now back to painting. EricHMS Victory.JPG

Phil,

One of he first Airfix models that I put together was a Lysander, when Woolies used to sell the smaller Airfix kits of a pound a time.

Maurice :cool:
Built many Airfix models for some reason building a model of a Short Sterling bomber sticks out in my mind, came with a tractor along with 4/5 carts for carrying the bombs and the bombs, I wonder if the toy shop in Rubery is still there ?.

A picture of trams in Slade Road, Erdington. I have used my laptop to add colour and a tram to a postcard pic I saw on the internet.
3XSladeAgain.jpg

The original postcard pic from the internet.
SladeAgain.jpg

The added tram is the one below. I had to shrink it, lean it 3° to the right, move the tram driver and add colour.
Another No 79 tram at the Pype Hayes terminus. Looks like the driver is lighting a cigarette and the conductress might have already lit one.
index.php

Last edited:
A before and after picture of a tram, John.View attachment 137441
That photo can be seen on the cover of David Harvey's recent book about the cities public transport during WW2. Car 419. which survived until the Moseley Road routes closed in 1949, was photographed in June 1941 in Edward Road. The tram was doing a detour, to Cannon Hill, due to damaged track on it usual route. The boys would be getting a decent view up there as the trams windows are covered in anti-blast mesh.

A picture of trams in Slade Road, Erdington. I have used my laptop to add colour and a tram to a postcard pic I saw on the internet.
View attachment 137409

The original postcard pic from the internet.
View attachment 137410

The added tram is the one below. I had to shrink it, lean it 3° to the right, move the tram driver and add colour.

Could this be the present view?

Attachments

• 3C894F87-ABFC-40B6-BD5E-CBD2A51E7CF6.jpeg
    3C894F87-ABFC-40B6-BD5E-CBD2A51E7CF6.jpeg
    810 KB · Views: 12
I think it is slightly further down the road opposite George Rd. The markers I used were the 'name plate' over the entry and the changes in upstairs window lintels. In the old picture, the front gardens did not look long enough to park cars as shown in Google's view. I suppose I could pass an hour or two replacing that car-carrying lorry with the nice old tram from the old pic.
Slade__Now.jpg

I think using Google and their services is one of my hobbies ! ... :D

Hobbies often vary as you get older - where cross country running isn't always possible in older age :D, not that I ever did any, but I hope readers will get my drift. Mine haven't changed that drastically, just the subject. Having worked at two demanding jobs for much of my working life I have always found reading a very relaxing thing to do. You can always put down a book and pick it up again later, whereas tv, at one time, meant that if you had to go out during an interesting programme or film then that was it. (Not so now of course with, it seems, most good programmes continually being repeated).
Buses and railways, with canals trailing, have been an interest since childhood. Some years ago I did a study on London Underground and the French SNCF, but in recent years I have been following the annals of American railways. I have now moved onto the precursor of railways in America which is about the wagon trains that crossed from the east to the west which really were the ways America developed. I have followed a little of their Civil War, but war is not my favourite reading. I have just read about the Virginias where I have friends and my garden railway is theoretically located.
I have left a few of the fora I once used which gives me more times for books. ;)

I think I've mentioned in previous posts Alan the B&O rail museum in Baltimore, have you been there on your USA train following?

Never thought about readubg as a hobby but it now seems I have had a hobby all my life.
Starting when I was younger going to the library and picking three books to take home and read
Going to bed and reading under the covers with a flashlight.
I have no idea how many times I have gone to bed thinking l will read a little and looked at the clock and its 3 o'clock.
A good page turner is hard to put down o the joy of a good read

Never thought about readubg as a hobby but it now seems I have had a hobby all my life.
Starting when I was younger going to the library and picking three books to take home and read
Going to bed and reading under the covers with a flashlight.
I have no idea how many times I have gone to bed thinking l will read a little and looked at the clock and its 3 o'clock.
A good page turner is hard to put down o the joy of a good read

I love reading too Bob, I couldn't imagine not being able to pick up a book and just lose yourself in it. I have loved reading all my life I was always at the library when I was a kid.:) The joy of books.
Another favourite pastimes is gardening.
Wendy

I love reading too Bob, I couldn't imagine not being able to pick up a book and just lose yourself in it. I have loved reading all my life I was always at the library when I was a kid.:) The joy of books.
Wendy
West Heath library, just off the island and the bus terminus small building back when I was a kid.
Going in run to the childrens section with the smaller size shelves for the kid sized books.
Those doors may have been small but that building was huge it contained the universe and could take you anywhere.
Just like many kids I headed out with Thomas and Gordon on a railway adventure.
Spent all day yesterday on my life long hobby, traveled back in time to Birmingham, spent time at the birth of country music and will continue the journey to day

To bloody hot to garden in Florida .

Wendy
I discovered the joy of reading at Mapledene junior school. There was a very well stocked library there and we were allowed to borrow one book at a time. Imagine my delight when the treasures of Horrel Road public library were opened to me. You could borrow up to 3 books at a time. There I came across Biggles, the Famous Five, the Secret Seven and endless other literary heroes and heroines. My love for books has never diminished and I will read books covering so many differing subjects and genres. My current reading is by Micheal Palin entitled the Python Years a diary of his years with the legendary series. I picked it up at the X ray dept. at my local hospital for just 50p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back