• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hill Street, Birmingham.

trev2239

proper brummie kid
Does anyone know of a map or maps Hill Street, Birmingham. Circa !800 to around 1830. Possibly with house numbers.

Thanks.

Hi,
Have a look at mapseeker.co.uk
Genealogy Map Resources
Historical atlas of Birmingham
You can drill down and search plans
Regards
Paul

I have come across this pleasing view of what I think is Hill Street. It is described as "From the Town Hall Birmingham, 1886" which, if correct, is pretty early for a photograph of the area.

I wondered if we could confirm the date, location and find out more about the buildings shown (eg Corbett's Temperance Hotel and J.Hillman Stores amongst others). I believe the current view is https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&...GTKgLyPc_PY5E3KuXoTGA&cbp=12,102.09,,0,-26.14

Montserrat Lime Juice appears to have been a well known Temperance beverage https://chestofbooks.com/food/recipes/A-Bachelors-Cupboard/Chapter-XVII-Temperance-Drinks.html

Last edited:
Aidan
We have been at Corbetts Temperance hotel before, but I can't find it. Below are my notes :
The Temperance hotel was at 49 or later (49-50) Paradise St.
In 1846 no 49 was run as a temperance coffee rooms by Joseph Corbett.
1855-68 it was a Temperance hotel run by Joseph Corbett
1872-76 was run as a temperance coffee rooms by Mrs Ann Corbett
1878 -1880 run as Temperance hotel by Mrs Ann Corbett
1883 - 1884 run as Temperance hotel by Mrs Mary Ann Gough
1888 not listed
This explains the Corbetts
A contribution from another person said that Mary Gough was Mary Taylor before marriage, and was the grandaughter of Ann Corbett.

As far as Hillman’s are concerned:
1862- 84 Hillman Joseph, ale & porter stores & dining rooms, & wine & spirit merchant; (The Stores), 52 Paradise St
By 1888 Hillman’s had moved to no 44 Paradise St.and are listed just as an Ale & porter stores.. they stayed there till 1896, and in 1897 it was William walker, ale & porter stores.

In 1858 the site was occupied by Richard Dester, coachbuilder

So the name Corbett probably indicates pre 1883, while Hillman’s 1862-84 (as it is at 52 not 44
mike

Thanks Mike - encyclopaedic as usual and I'm grateful for it. Seems to indicate the photo is even earlier than suggested and Dennis has posted a better resolution version on the link above with detail on Hillman's Stores pub

Better than that. After my last post I saw the link to the earlier copy, which for some reason i had not saved previously. The better copy slightly expands the field of view and shows the Advert on the top of the end building in New St for Draycott, photographer. John Arthur Draycott, photographer, is listed as at 82A New St
in 1888, but is absent in 1884. With a large advert on the roof such as this he must have also been listed in Kellys, so the photo must be between 1884 and 1888
Mike

Thanks folks. Some good photographs there. I am particularly interested in just down Hill Street. Number 11, to be precise. It should be Duffeys Tailors.

I have been researching my family tree, and it seems that my GGGfather worked there as a tailor, when he came to Brum in 1822. If anyone can confirm, it will be much appreciated.

I am new to this forum so I have only just found this thread. Do you know any more about Corbetts Temperance Hotel? My great grandmother Eliza Sharman (nee Crowley)'s will in 1881 says she owned the leashold which gave her an income of about £200 a year. Her husband Joseph Sharman had run a grocers/beer shop in New St and then Ellis St from at least 1818 until about 1839 when the family moved to Jersey. He died in 1841 and his widow stayed there for the rest of her life. The terms of her will imply that they had owned this leasehold for some time. However I have not been able to find any more details.
Thank you for your help.

Not much help with your requaest, but include it in case it gives you any extra information.
Joseph Sharman is listed in directories as a grocer in New St 1815-1818. In 1823 he is a grocer at 49 New St, which is between Temple St and Bennetts Hill In 1829-35 he is a grocer, tea dealer etc at 1 Ellis St, but is not listed in 1839 (or in then 1833 edition of Wrightsons directory for some reason)
Mike

We had a thread which dealt with Corbetts Temerance Hotel, John. It had some excellent photos of the hotel. I cannot find the thread - can anyone else locate it?

hi shirl..i also cant remember what thread those pics were under..it could have been the ann st one..i will have a go at trying to find it tomorrow..

Hi Lyn,

Bloc - that's an appropriate name. I'm not sure whether there is not a single architect with talent these days, or if it is because they are all governed by the bean counters! "How cheaply can we build something this size and still keep it legal?"
In one word, my opinion is that it is ghastly. You did ask!

Maurice

It doesn't do anything for me either, looks a bit like the inside of a box of After Eights with all those black "sleeves"!!

Simon

There must have been an error somewhere, it's not made from wire wool or milk bottle tops.

There are some great new buildings in Brum, like Selfridges, the new library, the cube etc but that thing is an abomination :eek:

Have I read correctly, there is no parking except there will be an agreement with a local carpark? Are they expecting only rail travellers then?
It seems spindly to me, too tall and dark.
rosie.

Gawd, another design by some bloc 'ed! Mind you, the building it will replace is no better either. Recently read somewhere that the reason Birmingham got such a bad name as a city was its 1960s austere achitecture. Think it's gone and got itself stuck in that time warp - again! Viv.

Rosie,

Many of the chains with the hotels in cities have made no, or very little, provision for parking. At one time town planners would enforce so many parking spaces depending upon the size of the building, number of staff, etc. They seem to have given up on that idea. For that reason I will never book into a hotel without secure parking and I hope it hurts their profits. But I've had several friends had their vehicles broken into simply because they had to park on the open road.

Maurice

I should add, like most things, it all comes down to personal choice, I tend to like buildings of the past, I dislike the New Library and its forerunner (loved the original) , also dislike Selfridges and the late Nat West tower, a lot of members will disagree with me and that is how it should be. Love to paint the old trams, the new ones lack character, although of course they are more functional and efficient, once again one persons opinion and others will disagree. Years ago much use was made of marble, terracotta, stone, brick, slate etc... now it appears to be glass . concrete and garish designs. Hope I haven't stepped on too may toes, just my opimion. Eric

well eric you have not stepped on my toes.. as always i agree with you and it seems so does everyone else...if this is all it takes to become a well paid architect then there is hope for all of us..

lyn

It's a high rise hotel. There's another (big green thing) a few hundred yards away and it's right next to the albany and a small multi-story car park. I would have thought that a lot of the clients would come by rail as this would be the closest hotel to New Street Station. Apart from the bulge half-way up and the outside louvres over the glass, it's just a block. Given the utilitarian attitude of this hotel chain, I'd say it's good for them. As for the look of the thing, it's an improvement on some of the stuff around it.

Back