• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hill Grove, Wellington Road Handsworth

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
These small groves of terraced houses intrigue me. Why were they specifically built like this? Was there a particular name for these types of terraces? This grove has a single row of sequentially numbered terraces, directly facing the rear of other properties and accessed by a pathway (not a road). It doesn't seem to have been part of a group of back to backs. Was it just builders being economic with the piece of land available?

Screenshot_20240725_192006_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240726_005752_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
There are a few of those row of terraced houses tucked away behind other on the street frontages in and around Birmingham. A row I recall were behind Priory Road, Aston. You have to walk down the entry’s to access them

There are a few of those row of terraced houses tucked away behind other on the street frontages in and around Birmingham. A row I recall were behind Priory Road, Aston. You have to walk down the entry’s to access them

These small groves of terraced houses intrigue me. Why were they specifically built like this? Was there a particular name for these types of terraces? This grove has a single row of sequentially numbered terraces, directly facing the rear of other properties and accessed by a pathway (not a road). It doesn't seem to have been part of a group of back to backs. Was it just builders being economic with the piece of land available?

View attachment 193465View attachment 193466
Back when these Groves/ houses were built, there were very few cars so street access was not a need/requirement as in today’s world!

View attachment 193465View attachment 193466
Back when these Groves/ houses were built, there were very few cars so street access was not a need/requirement as in today’s world!

It's interesting because, as you say Mort, they're tucked away and yet the frontages are more decorative than you'd expect with their bay windows and slightly recessed doors. It crossed my mind that they might have been built for a particular type of worker, but haven't been able to think what. I once lived in a cottage which was similar to these, known as artisan dwellings. Those were built for railway workers - not suggesting these were, but perhaps they were built for a specific group.

Last edited:
It's interesting because, as you say Mort, they're tucked away and yet the frontages are more decorative than you'd expect with their bay windows and slightly recessed doors. It crossed my mind that they might have been built for a particular type of worker, but haven't been able to think what. I once lived in a cottage which was similar to these, known as artisan dwellings. Those were built for railway workers - not suggesting these were, but perhaps they were built for a specific group.
Viv

There were very few property’s built specifically for workers, despite the myths that still abound. There were a couple of big employers like Lever Brothers who built the Port Sunlight Village Merseyside, but most of it was investment development. This is true of the Bournville Village Trust, who built quite expensive rented accommodation available to anyone who had sufficient money.

The houses here look to me look like the style built by the Barber Trust. Set up by the very wealthy solicitor Sir William Henry Barber, 1st Baronet. He was a solicitor and property developer who made his fortune in Birmingham's suburbs, building and renting out 5,000 properties in areas including Sparkbrook, Hay Mills, Acocks Green, Bordesley Green and Aston.

The style can be seen best around Walford Road and all those other Roads like Barrows Road, Medlecote Road etc.

Viv

There were very few property’s built specifically for workers, despite the myths that still abound. There were a couple of big employers like Lever Brothers who built the Port Sunlight Village Merseyside, but most of it was investment development. This is true of the Bournville Village Trust, who built quite expensive rented accommodation available to anyone who had sufficient money.

The houses here look to me look like the style built by the Barber Trust. Set up by the very wealthy solicitor Sir William Henry Barber, 1st Baronet. He was a solicitor and property developer who made his fortune in Birmingham's suburbs, building and renting out 5,000 properties in areas including Sparkbrook, Hay Mills, Acocks Green, Bordesley Green and Aston.

The style can be seen best around Walford Road and all those other Roads like Barrows Road, Medlecote Road etc.

Back