• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

High Park Street, Nechells

I was born in 1945 and Mr Hill left a year or so after I became a junior. The classroom above the kitchen had Mr Lewis as the teacher. He directed me in my first play, "The Princess and the Pea".
From small acorns grow mighty oaks.

Re: High Park street, (Nechells)

Dek

As you probably know as well as me, the only High Park St that I know of in Birmingham was the one in Nechells it ran from Nechells Place to Rocky lane at the junction of Nechells Park Rd and Bloomsbury St. The area was known locally as The Green.

Phil

High Park Street was a short street that linked Railway Terrace to Thimble Mill Lane. St Clement's infant and junior school was on one side of the street and part of Newton's large factory faced the school. Nechells Place started at Nechells Green and left the area on its way down to Saltley Road.

Last edited:
Hi Bryan

Yes there a few of us on 'Friends reunited' from St Clements.
I have the school register for enrolment from 1943 to 1946. Can't see a bryan with a 'Y' recorded.
I was there from 1944 to 1951 then off to Elliot St school.
Bob Steele

My wife also went to ST Clements school.........but as their house fell down in 1953. (she lived next door to Turton's she says)...they were then moved to Northfield

John Knight: High Park Street ran parallel with Nechells Park Road and part of Long Acre and separated one from the other. The land that it ran on is now underneath Wing Yip's Chines supermarket.

GER22van : High Park Corner was a pavement that stretched between the town end of Nechells Park Road and Thimble Mill Lane. There were a small number of shops along the pavement; I'm not sure how many but a chemist was on the corner of Nechells Park Road and a bakery shop, Wimbush, was the corner of Thimble Mill Lane.

High Park Corner, it was know as Nechells Green

Not really... Nechells Green was the entire area that consisted of six roads ending at the wide area that allowed traffic, in my time, to move fairly safely around a roundabout. The roundabout was installed when motorised traffic became more populous. As I stated in an earlier post, High Park Corner was just just that one pavement. Strangers wanting to reach High Park Corner would be directed in the general direction of the green but specifically told exactly where to find said destination.

Amazing post of High Park Street History, glad I stumbled across this.

Does anyone have any knowledge or remember anything of Harold and Adelaide Harrison that lived at 51 High Park Street.

Up to what year where the houses lived in before being demolished?

Many thanks

Does there happen to be a record of pupils that attended St Clements?
I'm sure my Grandad probably would have attended as he grew up on High Park Street.

Another quick question on St Clements, what ages did it serve, primary school or high school?
Trying to work out the year my grandad may have been there

Looking for information about the Ford family re Thomas Ford and his father William Ford who appear on 1861 census as Resident at the Red Lion High Park St but William Ford occupation is described as a forgeman whilst son Thomas Ford works for the father?

Last edited:
It is not unusual for the census to record the occupant of a pub as something other than a landlord. they often had two occupations, and very often it was the wife who did most of the pub work, while the official landlord carried out his other occupation . The corporation directory of 1862 (though survey date is very dubious and likely to be some years before, some entries in name and address sections not corresponding) lists Willoiam as a victualler at the Red Lion, though in thimble mill Lane. As you can see it was on the corner of the two streets1862 directory Ford.jpgmap c1889 showing Red lion thimble mill lane.jpg

It is not unusual for the census to record the occupant of a pub as something other than a landlord. they often had two occupations, and very often it was the wife who did most of the pub work, while the official landlord carried out his other occupation . The corporation directory of 1862 (though survey date is very dubious and likely to be some years before, some entries in name and address sections not corresponding) lists Willoiam as a victualler at the Red Lion, though in thimble mill Lane. As you can see it was on the corner of the two streetsView attachment 156866View attachment 156867
Thanks Mikejee. You have confirmed what I thought must be the situation but was not shown on the census record. I notice there is an iron plate works nearby on the map. Tinpot

Thanks Mikejee. You have confirmed what I thought must be the situation but was not shown on the census record. I notice there is an iron plate works nearby on the map. Tinpot
Now found Thomas on the 1881 census living at Court 2 House, 11 Pugh Rd Aston. His occupation is Iron Plater. Is Pugh Rd nearby? Tinpot

High Park Corner, am I correct to say it was know as Nechells Green ?
Yes it was and 414, was Doctors Chemist, worked there on the photographic counter for awhile. Next door on the green was always referred to as Harry the butchers. Circa 1962/63. Alf.

Another quick question on St Clements, what ages did it serve, primary school or high school?
Trying to work out the year my grandad may have been there
I started school at St Clement's in 1949 and I think there was a senior department. If so, it quickly disappeared. I was only four but do seem to recall that as being so. I may be wrong but it had always been a fact to me. Afterwards, it remained as an infant and junior school. A lovely building. I miss it still.

Hi everyone, just joined the forum today.I am tracing my elusive paternal Grandfather's ancestry and have learned his Mother was born in 1868 to a William and Elizabeth Cook, 22 High Park Street Aston.William was a Joinery Man-Scale Bearer Maker.If anyone has any information or photographs of the house I'd be most grateful.

Hi Claire, welcome to the forum. Not many pictures of High Park Street and unfortunately by 1950 (the only map with house numbers) No. 22 has gone. I would imagine it would have been in the region of the red line.

Attachments

• high-park-st-maps.jpg
    high-park-st-maps.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Hi Claire, welcome to the forum. Not many pictures of High Park Street and unfortunately by 1950 (the only map with house numbers) No. 22 has gone. I would imagine it would have been in the region of the red line.
Thanks for the reply and welcome. Ah that’s sad.What was built there when the houses were demolished?
Does anyone know what a scale bearer maker was ?

Hi Claire,
Was interesting to see you post about number 22 High Park, as my family ended up there as well (sometime around 1910 / 1920), and that address appears on a number of my familys marriage certs.
The houses were back to back, so there was likely two families living at number 22.
One thing I have noticed is families seemed to jump about the house numbers between census, not sure why that is.

There are some photos of High Park Street on here, I will try and find them if no ones gets there before me

I couldnt find a census for 1871 for some reason, but William and Elizabeth Cook must have moved on by 1881 as there are not shown in High Park Street.

In 1881, there is a family at Nunber 20: Henry Cook (72), Mary Cook (66), Samuel Cook (29), Ann Cook (45), John Cook (36), Henry Cook (9), Victor Cook (2) and Lilly Cook (2).

In 1891, its possible Henry and Mary had passed, and some of the family had moved on, as Number 20 has the following living there: John Cook (46), Hannah Cook (49), Henry Cook (19), Victor Cook (11) and Lilly Cook (11)

By 1901, the only cooks in the steet are,
Back of No 7: Samuel Cook (26), Annie Cook (23), Samuel Cook (3) and Harry Cook (9 months)
Swans Buildings, High Park Street: John Cook (20) and Emily Cook (19)

Thanks for the reply and welcome. Ah that’s sad.What was built there when the houses were demolished?
Does anyone know what a scale bearer maker was ?
My Great Great Grandmother and Grandfarther were still in Number 22 in 1939, and my Great Grandmother was still at number 51 in 1965.
Im not sure when they got demolished, but they were demolished to build what is now WingYip!! (A large Chinese Food supplier)

Back