• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Higgs Motors Witton

regmills

Brummie babby
Hi, I served an apprentiship at Higgs between 1955 and 1960. Would be interested to hear from anyone who may have been there.<br>.Reg Mills

I never worked there but I used to load my lorry there, not a full load you understand but I would collect up to half a dozen or so of various sizes and they would be delivered to London Docks for deliveries in other countries, I have also delivered the motors countless factories up north.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dad worked there, I recon around 1940. He said they made every single component for their electric motors with the exception of washers, which they bought in.

I remember the factory quite well, It was quite a large factory with ‘Higgs Motors’ in white brick on the chimney, and an electric motor on a pedestal near to the IMI with a back and white stripy spinning thing on the end.

My dad said they were extremely strict; you had to be standing at your machine, ready to start work immediately when the hooter went off at 6:00 am.

He was working next to a young lad of about 14 years old, who lost a finger in a machine. They put this lad on the bus to go to the hospital, and told him to come back to work the following day.

I did hear this rumour that Higgs wife was a politician who, during a speech made in Australia said “ the only way you will get Birmingham people to work, is to have ten men after every job, and empty stomachs”.

I, of course do not know if this is true, but it was a story I heard from a couple of older people reminiscing about their past; maybe some of the forum members can enlighten me.

I worked there as an apprentice around that time, but can't recall a Reg Mills I'm afraid, mind you, many of us went under nicknames. Derek

My Dad worked there, I recon around 1940. He said they made every single component for their electric motors with the exception of washers, which they bought in.

I remember the factory quite well, It was quite a large factory with ‘Higgs Motors’ in white brick on the chimney, and an electric motor on a pedestal near to the IMI with a back and white stripy spinning thing on the end.

My dad said they were extremely strict; you had to be standing at your machine, ready to start work immediately when the hooter went off at 6:00 am.

He was working next to a young lad of about 14 years old, who lost a finger in a machine. They put this lad on the bus to go to the hospital, and told him to come back to work the following day.

I did hear this rumour that Higgs wife was a politician who, during a speech made in Australia said “ the only way you will get Birmingham people to work, is to have ten men after every job, and empty stomachs”.

I, of course do not know if this is true, but it was a story I heard from a couple of older people reminiscing about their past; maybe some of the forum members can enlighten me.

Yes, good old Walter Frank Higgs was a Conservative MP from 1937-45. He was speaking in Wellington New Zealand in 1947...

"The present blizzard and power crisis in Britain was possibly a blessing in disguise. Empty bellies is the one thing that will make Britons work...we want 11 people after 10 jobs, 11 firms wanting 10 orders, it is the only economic way, the only sane way. We are living in a fool's paradise."

These words would come back to haunt him, even to the present day; some people have long memories.

My mother Dor othy Bartlett worked at Higgs Motors as a machine operator in the early 60,s. We lived in Perry Common and you could hear the press hammers at Witton quite clearly. We also used to ride the coal barges at Witton when they were pulled by horses.

My late Grandfather Ernest Hemming Hawkes worked at Higgs Motors Witton Site I persume between 1948 and 1962 when he was transfered or moved to the Yate site at Bristol as a cost accountant, would appreciate any help if anybody can give any re employment records and company information!

Best Wishes Christopher Hawkes.
My mother Dor othy Bartlett worked at Higgs Motors as a machine operator in the early 60,s. We lived in Perry Common and you could hear the press hammers at Witton quite clearly. We also used to ride the coal barges at Witton when they were pulled by horses.

Hi Morturn, thank you for mentioning the whirly thing at Higgs motors. It was one of the things my brother and I looked for on our journey on the 5A/7 to town. Fascinated us!

Hi, I served an apprentiship at Higgs between 1955 and 1960. Would be interested to hear from anyone who may have been there.<br>.Reg Mills
My dad worked at Higgs Motors until they moved to Bristol, I believe, sometime in the 60s. Don't know when he started, but he was there during the war in a reserved occupation. Richard Bird - he was a radial driller and ran the "sick" club.

Yes, good old Walter Frank Higgs was a Conservative MP from 1937-45. He was speaking in Wellington New Zealand in 1947...

"The present blizzard and power crisis in Britain was possibly a blessing in disguise. Empty bellies is the one thing that will make Britons work...we want 11 people after 10 jobs, 11 firms wanting 10 orders, it is the only economic way, the only sane way. We are living in a fool's paradise."

These words would come back to haunt him, even to the present day; some people have long memories.

February 1950 an Evening Despatch reporter catches up with Higgs.

“Empty bellies. Mr. Higgs explains his speech.
THE man who made the " empty bellies" speech, Mr. Walter Higgs, Birmingham business chief, told me today that he wants to keep clear of politics in future…”

IMG_0587.jpeg

Back