• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hercules Cycles

P

parker

:)
hi i believe my grandparents met at hercules factory does anyone have a photo and can i find out about employees

THE ONLY INPUT I CANGIVE IS THAT THEY MADE THE BIKES FOR THE POLICE FORCE
AND THEY WAS A DARK GREEN IN COLUR, AND THEY HAD STEEL HAND BRAKES ,FOR BREAKING
NO CABLE BRAKES IN THOSE DAYS AND THEY WAS GOOD SOLID BIKES
AND I THINK THAT WAS BEFORE THEY GOT THE OLD VALOCETE MOTOR BIKES
I CANNOT TELL YOU WHAT YEAR THEY STARTED , BUT I THINK I RECALL IT WAS AROUND THE 1954
WHEN THEY PACKED UP OR MOVED AND STOPPED MAKING THE OLD GREEN POLICE PUSH BIKE
AND THEY WAS ON THE LICHFIELD ROAD FACING ANSELLS BREWERY
WITH TWO WHOPPING BIG GATES AND A LONG DRIVE DOWN ENTRANCE,
WHERE YOU COULD SEE THEM STANDING THEIR AWAITING DELIVERY
THEN THE PREMISES WAS TAKEN OVER BY THE STEEL COMPAMNY ,
WHICH STRETCH THROUGH TO ROCKY LANE , AND THE STEEL COMPANY WAS A MASSIVE OFFICES
STRETCHING DOWN THE ROCKY LANE TO CHESTON ROAD ,
THATS MY INPUT AS I KNOW .
AND THATS BECAUSE I LIVED ALONG THE ROAD ALONG SIDE ANSELLS ,
ALSO I WORKED AT THE GOOD OLD TUBES LIMITED IN THE ROCY LANE SIDE
I WOULD ASKED ,OR SHOULD I SAY , MAY BE
CROMWELL MIGHT BE ABLE TO TELL US SOMTHING ,
OR MAYBE MY OLD MATE BAZZ,M WHOM ALSO WORKED THERE IN THE OFFICES
MAY HAVE BETTER KNOWLEDEGE THAN ME
IT ALL DEPENDS WHAT INFO;; YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ;

HAVE A NICE DAY , BEST WISHESASTONIAN ,;;

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hercules Cycle & Motor Company Ltd Rocky Lane the factory once was The Dunlop Rubber Company

Women putting spokes in wheels at Hercules 1946
Photo replaced
Women working at Hercules Cycle works Aston Birmingham 1947.jpg

SNAP! Mine was from McGauleys on the Coventry Road at Small Heath. :)

My grandad worked there and he got a workers discount on my first bike. A Hercules Jeep. I suppose this would have been in about 55 or 56. Dark Green with rod breaks. I can feel myself riding that bike now.

Hercules

My mom used to work there, I think I think she said she used to paint the lines on the bicycles, they gave them a pint of milk to drink because of the fumes. My nan had the sweet shop opposite they used to make there own ice cream and you took your own glass to be filled,then she moved to Tower rd and run an outdoor. I have put photo's on under Tower rd

Did this factory move to Nottingham (if so when?) - or was there another depot there?

Ta
Gobby

Hi Parker my Mom & Dad met at the Hercules Factory in 1932 & they married it 1935 result myself 1936 and they lived a sort of happy life together for most of their 50 years together:)

Both my father and grandfather (both named Albert ) worked at the Hercules cycle.
My grandfather may have stayed there most of his working life.
My father moved out to work at Nuffields centre working on the spitfires during the war
as a maintainance fitter until his death in 1945

Roy I knew a Allsop family who lived in the same Terrace in Newtown Row Aston as did our Family when I was a kid, and I believe he was an engineer.
Where were you born

Also welcome :) to this great Forum.

I have a personal photo, but i only know 1 member here which is my grandfather 2nd on left front
Sir Martin Melvin at 3rd left front with Glasses. Hercules Office Staff
EdwinIsaacMerrellHerculesAston.jpg

Sponsorship

In 1952 Eileen Sheridan became involved with Hercules. Eileen broke a large number of records riding for Hercules between 1952 and 1954.[6]
It was also at this time that Derek Buttle, a leading cyclist, approached Hercules about forming a racing team. In 1953 Hercules agreed, and became the first British bicycle manufacturer to run a professional road race team. The team raced on the continent, but only for a couple of years, and was disbanded in 1955.[7]

My first new cycle was a Hercules Harlequin bought at Rogers Cycle shop on Stoney Lane, Sparkbrook, about 1957. It cost then £14 and I bought it on H.P. paying a few shillings each week.

Here is a photo of one of their first riders, Clive Parker, ca 1952.

It was interesting seeing the picture of Martin Melvin. He was never very popular with my mother's family-I think a bit rough and tough. My father was really rude about him and referred to him as 'Mart the Bart' !

Hello, my grandfather worked at Hercules during WWII and I believe that he was a foreman barreller (?) - I know that he had a rserved occupation and my dad has pictures of a gang show - does anyone have any further information as I am researching my family tree.

Re: hercules factory above photo

OOH - I've just seen the photograph of the Hercules staff, and my Grandad John (Joe) Pritchard is in the picture, back row - 2nd left - I just cant believe it, I only joined yesterday!

Anyone got anymore information?

Family names - Pritchard & Moran:)

Am trying to locate any information/photos/reminiscences regarding my late Grandfather William Bayley Brown (Bill). During WWII he was the factory Night Superintendent, had a secretary, Miss Gilpin and the daytime factory was run by a Mr Yapp.

Would be very grateful for any information.

BrumNick

Raleigh took over Hercules and moved production to Nottingham, they made bikes into the 80s, don't know about more recent but the company existed on paper to 2002.
The Indian branches of Hercules, BSA, Phillips and Brooks still exist, owned by TI India.

My grandmother and her sisters moved to Aston to work at the Hercules Cycle and Motor Company ltd. In the 1911 census they all worked there, listed as mudguard maker & saddle stitchers. They boarded with a Mr Cook in Denmark street.

My Mother worked in the canteen at Hercules during the war, needless to say, we were fed quite well with what she brought home after her shift.
We all know that food scraps should have gone to feed the pigs, but those in the know used to call at the gate house on the way home and leave some for the security men.
No questions asked.

Back